6 months back!

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Caymanlandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months back!

Hi all, I was out of the UK for about 15 years . Living mostly in the Cayman Islands. Why move back? well immigration made me. I was scared at first being single at 39... but. My family are not getting younger, nor am I.

I was scared of the move and all the bits to sort out.

Been back, six months now and living in Norwich, Norfolk. It is a amazing City, loads to do - plenty of place nearby. I am very glad of the move.

I was worried about a few things, I am not getting any younger. I have never lived in Norfolk before. I managed to get a Dr in about four weeks, I got a dentist in five weeks.

I couldn't get a mobile phone contract! But I could register on the electoral roll, paid my council tax, rented a apartment (I had to pay 6 months in advance). Then I had to prove where the money came from, that was tricky

Once you have a lease, it seems like any broadband, utility provider will accept you. I always give my last address in the UK from 2000, I have always had a UK bank account. I don't think they check very well at all.

The problem seems to be if you say you have been living overseas, yes I have but I have alway paid taxes here and been here each year.

I don't think I can get a mortgage for two years from my research, I still can't get a phone contract either! I definitely think a move back isa good option
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months back!

Welcome back.

I am pleased to hear that you are glad you made the move and things are slowly falling in place for you.

Thanks for the update...comments from members who have moved back are very helpful to others moving back or thinking about it.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caymanlandy
Hi all, I was out of the UK for about 15 years . Living mostly in the Cayman Islands. Why move back? well immigration made me. I was scared at first being single at 39... but. My family are not getting younger, nor am I.

I was scared of the move and all the bits to sort out.

Been back, six months now and living in Norwich, Norfolk. It is a amazing City, loads to do - plenty of place nearby. I am very glad of the move.

I was worried about a few things, I am not getting any younger. I have never lived in Norfolk before. I managed to get a Dr in about four weeks, I got a dentist in five weeks.

I couldn't get a mobile phone contract! But I could register on the electoral roll, paid my council tax, rented a apartment (I had to pay 6 months in advance). Then I had to prove where the money came from, that was tricky

Once you have a lease, it seems like any broadband, utility provider will accept you. I always give my last address in the UK from 2000, I have always had a UK bank account. I don't think they check very well at all.

The problem seems to be if you say you have been living overseas, yes I have but I have alway paid taxes here and been here each year.

I don't think I can get a mortgage for two years from my research, I still can't get a phone contract either! I definitely think a move back isa good option
Welcome back and thanks for the update. Quite a challenge doing it yourself. I was lucky to have my wife with me during the whole process when we moved back in May from the USA.

As you say it was tricky getting a place rented ahead of time, credit checks, proof of income etc. Like you we had kept our UK bank account all the time we had been away (29 years) and that did make things easier, plus I have a US pension I could show for proof of income.

We also had to pay 6 months rent ahead, and as soon as we got back having that lease and address made everything else so much easier (registering to vote, NHS registration, driver's licence, mobile phone contract etc).

We are also lucky in that we don't need a mortgage to buy a house. We sold our house in the USA a few years ago and will use that to buy in the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:11 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are getting sorted, it is hard work.

I moved back in May after 8 years in NZ and managed to lease a property based on my job offer, therefore, didnt have to pay out for 6 months rent in advance, so can be done as 6 months plus deposit is a lot of moey for some returnees