Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's great for me
Its not all bad I agree, but it can become very mondane and we do have a longer working week than anywhere else in Europe. I have talked to so many people now who are up to their eyes in debt through just trying to keep a roof over their head and pay bills whilst knocking their pan in every week at work. I think part of the problem is materialism and comfort buying. I think we need to get back to basics and be more content with a simpler way of life. With next generation mortgages and higher taxes i wonder were we are going to be in another 5 years especially if and when interest rates rise. I think this is why so many people are opting out of the uk for cheaper property and living costs abroad.

Remy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Its not all bad I agree, but it can become very mondane and we do have a longer working week than anywhere else in Europe. I have talked to so many people now who are up to their eyes in debt through just trying to keep a roof over their head and pay bills whilst knocking their pan in every week at work. I think part of the problem is materialism and comfort buying. I think we need to get back to basics and be more content with a simpler way of life. With next generation mortgages and higher taxes i wonder were we are going to be in another 5 years especially if and when interest rates rise. I think this is why so many people are opting out of the uk for cheaper property and living costs abroad.

Remy

Still fine for me

No mortgage...no need to work ....live in a nice place....don't mind paying tax...what am I missing?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Are you going to Australia?......same shit...different bucket
No, im not going to OZ. Not yet anyway but have done a bit of travelling and spend a lot of time in Goa. Yes the people there are a lot poorer than us and yet seem far happier and content, why is this do you think?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Grayling, what is your beef with Australia? I dont think i've ever heard you say anything positive about the place. Why do you hate it so much, you dont even live there?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No, im not going to OZ. Not yet anyway but have done a bit of travelling and spend a lot of time in Goa. Yes the people there are a lot poorer than us and yet seem far happier and content, why is this do you think?
I'm content .....

....but then, I have managed to succeed in the UK ....unlike a lot of malcontents
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Grayling, what is your beef with Australia? I dont think i've ever heard you say anything positive about the place. Why do you hate it so much, you dont even live there?
No beef at all...I am moving there soon.

I have never said anything negative about Australia.

I am simply fed up with those who fail in the UK blaming the country for all their problems

Same shit....different bucket
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still fine for me

No mortgage...no need to work ....live in a nice place....don't mind paying tax...what am I missing?
I am not just speaking about my situation or yours but a majority of people in the uk are getting a rough ride, i am happy for you that your not one of them.

Surely you can admit that cheaper properties and lifestyles and better weather is a damn good reason to think about moving.

Remy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact that Hot countries have a fabulous outdoor lifestyle means a lot and is essential for good moral. There is more to do without having to spend a fortune to do it.

Remy.
Coming from Ireland must have something to do with the appreciation for hot weather, I was brought up in County Antrim Since coming back to the UK and not being able to take the kids out without it costing an absolute fortune has made me realise how important having an outdoor lifestyle (and most of it free) actually is!
Bitter and twisted

Surely you can admit that cheaper properties and lifestyles and better weather is a damn good reason to think about moving.
Seems like a pretty short sighted reason to me

I don't care what things cost. I would rather live somewhere expensive and interesting than in a cheap sterile desert.

It is VERY expensive to live anywhere interesting in countries like Australia.

Still....not a problem for me
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I agree, I have returned from Oz where we were living a simple, carefree, life in a lovely home, good jobs, gave it all up to join the rat race here in the UK, it has only taken 6 months but i am willing to return to a smaller home and less pay back in Oz again - i really had some thick rose tinted specs on whilst away
Let me know how you get on and best of luck.

Remy
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Still fine for me

The fact that you are not the norm.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seems like a pretty short sighted reason to me

I don't care what things cost. I would rather live somewhere expensive and interesting than in a cheap sterile desert.

It is VERY expensive to live anywhere interesting in countries like Australia.

Still....not a problem for me
Horray for you.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by dunroving
The fact that you are not the norm.
Do you want to trade 25 years of your life?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to trade 25 years of your life?
Right over my head. Translation?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Coming from Ireland must have something to do with the appreciation for hot weather, I was brought up in County Antrim Since coming back to the UK and not being able to take the kids out without it costing an absolute fortune has made me realise how important having an outdoor lifestyle (and most of it free) actually is!
Yeah it does rain here a lot. The kids go back to school tomorrow and because it has rained here all day we have decided to take them to the cinema tonight to see A night at the Museum.

But guess what by the time you pay for popcorn etc I will be 40 quid lighter in the pocket at least.

Remy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.