Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Hi

I realise that my original thread on this subject got hijacked and was closed down by Sue, but I would still like to hear from some of you about your experiences/problems etc on this subject.

To recap, we were hoping to move to Canada, but have been refused on medical grounds (see Canadian Immigration forum). We now intend to move to rural Spain (or somewhere else warm and more relaxing, .....any other suggestions would be appreciated) sometime next year when our daughter has finished her schooling.

I would like to hear from some of you that have moved to Canada, Spain, Oz, NZ, or wherever it may be, with the main reasons why you have, or intend to move back to the UK.

We really do not want to make the same mistakes as some of you and want to try and cover all the pitfalls, potential problems etc that some of you "returnees" have experienced.

I do appreciate all of you that responded on my previous post and have taken on board your comments and advice, I just need a bit more!

For many, you must have wanted to leave the UK in the first place to make a better life for your family. What went wrong?

If you were to move abroad again, as a bit of advice for us still in the UK, what would you do differently, in order to make a success of a new life in your chosen country.

I would be interested to hear the 5 most important reasons (more the better really) why life in ?? was not for you.

Cheers
Graham
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:04 am
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice
Wink Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

I'll give you 5 reasons why we are coming back to the UK from Australia

1) Ageing family

2) locality to Europe for traveling

3) locality to the Americas for traveling

4) New found appreciation of History

5) We can and will come back to Australia

What is more important here is that we are only returning to the UK from Australia after 20 years and will in the fullness of time (at least 3 years I hope) return to our adopted country.

I guess we could be accepted as successful migrants. Here are 5 tips that might help you in your prospective country

1) Appreciate the new place you choose to go to for it's differences to the place you came from, do not criticise it publicly, after all you chose it and not visa versa.

2) Don't return home even for a visit too soon as a rule of thumb leave it for 5 years and let them come to you first. The people that return every 6-12 months rarely integrate well (we left it for 19 years).

3) Be in a good relationship with your life partner as they will be your best and possibly only real friend for a very long time, if things are bad before you leave they will be worse once the thrill of the move is over, the holiday does not last a life time.

4) If you come from a close family you must accept that you will miss them and they are very unlikely to follow you. In this case maybe going in the first place just because the weather is better is a bad idea.

5) There are very good reasons why people choose to live in the UK, after all Madonna could live anywhere you know and she chooses the UK

All the Best

Dave
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 reasons why you want to come back to the UK - Part 2

Originally Posted by davo453

1) Ageing family

What is more important here is that we are only returning to the UK from Australia after 20 years and will in the fullness of time (at least 3 years I hope) return to our adopted country.

I guess we could be accepted as successful migrants. Here are 5 tips that might help you in your prospective country

1) Appreciate the new place you choose to go to for it's differences to the place you came from, do not criticise it publicly, after all you chose it and not visa versa.

2) Don't return home even for a visit too soon as a rule of thumb leave it for 5 years and let them come to you first. The people that return every 6-12 months rarely integrate well (we left it for 19 years).

3) Be in a good relationship with your life partner as they will be your best and possibly only real friend for a very long time, if things are bad before you leave they will be worse once the thrill of the move is over, the holiday does not last a life time.

4) If you come from a close family you must accept that you will miss them and they are very unlikely to follow you. In this case maybe going in the first place just because the weather is better is a bad idea.

5) There are very good reasons why people choose to live in the UK, after all Madonna could live anywhere you know and she chooses the UK

All the Best

Dave
good post
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

1) Ageing family

All the Best

Dave
This is a very good post, thank you for taking the time to write it, I appreciate it.

The bit about Madonna, that exact same thought popped into my head today!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

1) Ageing family

All the Best

Dave
Thanks for your sound advice. As you can no doubt appreciate, moving to another country is one of the biggest decisions anyone can possibly make.

Cheers

Graham
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Dave
She also has enough money to live in a mansion in the UK, send her kids to the best schools, holiday all over the world and therefore leave the crap weather when she chooses, has someone to do her shopping/cooking/cleaning/etc and also happens to be married to an Englishman so its not suprising she chooses here, she probably actually spends very little time living the life of an ordinary person from the UK.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

1) Ageing family

All the Best

Dave
Madonna can well afford to live in the uk.
I think people are sick of high taxes and long working hours,
wet winter days and nights and extortionate house prices.
I think people are willing to escape the rat race for a simpler life abroad even if this means living in a smaller house and working fo less money.
Or am I just talking about myself ?
Let me Know,

Cheers, Remy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
She also has enough money to live in a mansion in the UK, send her kids to the best schools, holiday all over the world and therefore leave the crap weather when she chooses, has someone to do her shopping/cooking/cleaning/etc and also happens to be married to an Englishman so its not suprising she chooses here, she probably actually spends very little time living the life of an ordinary person from the UK.
I 100% agree.
The Uk is great if your minted, but for the rest of us we can only dream.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Madonna can well afford to live in the uk.
wet winter days and nights and extortionate house prices.
I think people are willing to escape the rat race for a simpler life abroad even if this means living in a smaller house and working fo less money.
Or am I just talking about myself ?
Let me Know,

Cheers, Remy
I agree, I have returned from Oz where we were living a simple, carefree, life in a lovely home, good jobs, gave it all up to join the rat race here in the UK, it has only taken 6 months but i am willing to return to a smaller home and less pay back in Oz again - i really had some thick rose tinted specs on whilst away
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

Some excellent retorts and all good points, but very few if any of those negative things change for an ordinary person when you move apart from maybe the crap weather.

Moving country really is a good idea, we don't regret a single moment we had very little when we landed in Australia and time over we would do it again.

Including Madonna as an example was inviting trouble, i'll do that again too

Dave
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi ...........We really do not want to make the same mistakes as some of you and want to try and cover all the pitfalls, potential problems etc that some of you "returnees" have experienced.

For many, you must have wanted to leave the UK in the first place to make a better life for your family. What went wrong?

If you were to move abroad again, as a bit of advice for us still in the UK, what would you do differently, in order to make a success of a new life in your chosen country.

I would be interested to hear the 5 most important reasons (more the better really) why life in ?? was not for you.

Cheers
Graham

Trying to be as objective as possible here:

Reasons it hasn't worked out are.....

1. Lack of lasting friendships with which to deal with everyday stuff.
2. There is no catch-net for the rough times, ...was unemployed once for 1/2 year and NO govt. assistance at all. You are totally ($) on your own here.....
3. The working atmosphere is ridiculous - you are owned and abused by companies, blue/white collar - it makes no difference....."working for the Yankee Dollar" is a myth.
4. Health Insurance is an expensive trap for the ordinary working people, it ties you to an employer. Its something which is going to get worse before it gets better too. God help you if you have a family and no insurance.
5. Generally, the US lifestyle revolves around money and flashy excitement.

BTW, heard the mean US household income is now $40,000 p/a. WTF??? When we earned that little (for 2 years), we never did anything......how can they do that now????
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I 100% agree.
The Uk is great if your minted, but for the rest of us we can only dream.
It's great for me
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I agree, I have returned from Oz where we were living a simple, carefree, life in a lovely home, good jobs, gave it all up to join the rat race here in the UK, it has only taken 6 months but i am willing to return to a smaller home and less pay back in Oz again - i really had some thick rose tinted specs on whilst away
I bought an apartment in Goa 2 years ago and the only thing that keeps me sane at times is the thought of escaping to it whenever I can.
The life style there is really carefree and chilled out, the people are so friendly and the weather is fab. I bought it with the view to retiring there someday and hopefully eventually be able to spend 6 months there and the remainder here.

I think the fact that Hot countries have a fabulous outdoor lifestyle means a lot and is essential for good moral. There is more to do without having to spend a fortune to do it.

Remy.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

wet winter days and extortionate house prices
Are you going to Australia?......same shit...different bucket
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:06 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

1) Ageing family

All the Best

Dave
Fantastic post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.