Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

15 away returning with child

15 away returning with child

Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of
Default 15 away returning with child

I"m from Stratford on Avon in England and came to Thailand to teach English 15 years ago. I now have to leave Thailand will return to England with my Thai born 5 year old son. I have little money and quite frankly Im shit scared.
What do i do first?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 15 away returning with child

First , look here to see if your situation applies.
Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

then, in order to get help from more knowledgeable members we need a little more info such as where's his Mum, what nationality is she, will she be wanting to come with you , do you have a job in UK to go to?
Your son should qualify to be British by Descent and therefore eligible for a UK passport-apply for this ASAP.
https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...orn-outside-uk
you'll find members on here very helpful, but they will need a bit more info on your current situation.
Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

tonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud oftonyjames44 has much to be proud of

I don't have an income, or any savings.
Ill probably have around 500 pounds when i arrive.
I want to put my son in school and get a job. i have nothing organized.
His mother is here in Thailand working with our other 2 year old son.
I want them to join me obviously, but the money is just not there.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

you will have no problem returning as a UK citizen,but unless your 5 year old has a British passport you'll have problems.
I'm not au fait with the requirements for a young child accompanying a single parent, but would think at least you'll need written permission from his mother, plus needing to meet the financial requirements as laid out.
Once he has his British passport then no real problem except ,again, written permission from his mother.
The biggest problem is the time it will take to get him a British passport. As Thailand, like here in Philippines, is seen as a "dodgy" country in immigration terms, it will take many months. hopefully someone like Brit in Paris will be along soon to try and help.
Have you searched the Wiki above for something like 'bringing child to UK?" Your question, or similar has likely been asked before.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Im applying for the passport in a couple of weeks. As long as the process is done in 2 or 3 months its ok.
The letter from mother is ok but what about the financial requirements..what are they?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

With regard to getting back to work, what do i need to start working?
Can i apply for jobs now so i can start work almost immediately?
I want to work in credit control as a clerk as I have previous experience, but I'd fall down with any kind of credit check surely?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Re passport. I'm afraid that 2/3 months is optimistic ,a very few have managed this but it's mostly 8/12 months. Again search the Wiki for similar threads. I know that from here in Philippines it can be over 12 months due to the documents having to be checked to be sure they are genuine.The passport Office are quoting 6/8 weeks for first passports if you're applying from, and already live, in the UK, so overseas will likely at least be double this time. you may be lucky of course. Be aware there is a very slight possibility they may ask for a DNA test if you are not married to the mother.
If he gets his British passport then there are no financial requirements as you will be both UK citizens returning.
Regarding work, as a generality, people here have found it is very difficult to get a job offer from abroad. What if they want you to start next week? you can certainly try online via the various websites and may get a skype interview as some have done. I would have thought you would need to have a return date in mind when applying.Luckily you do not need any kind of visa or work permit as a UK citizen. Employers don't usually do credit checks , but it's possible they may ask for a police certificate or a fidelity bond, especially if you are handling large sums of money. A bit doubtful as credit control is about getting money in.
Have a look here ; https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Follow the questions and ensure you supply ALL the correct documentation.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a friend or family member who would let you stay with them for a couple of weeks until you get a job and find somewhere to live?
500 pounds is not going to last long if you have to pay for a hotel/B&B.
Can you not leave your kid in Thailand and then bring the whole family out once you get settled?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

The main idea is to take my son so we would hopefully get help from the government and get him in school. I have friends i guess would let me stay for a while.
How easy is it for my gf to take my kids to the uk, stay for 4 months then leave them with me while she returns home?
Would it be a lot easier if we were married here first?
To add complications to the matter, ive been in prison in Thailand too and was supposed to be deported after release but the police just let me go. Now im here with my visa expired (while in prison), broke and not many options.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyjames44
Im applying for the passport in a couple of weeks. As long as the process is done in 2 or 3 months its ok.
The letter from mother is ok but what about the financial requirements..what are they?
For you and the children, providing you are the biological father and are a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, there are none, you are all British Citizens and are all legally able to move to and reside in the UK, the financial requirements would be for your Thai partner/wife if/when she moves. You may not be allowed to claim that many benefits when you arrive, but have to wait a few months, but the NHS would be free from day one that you are a permanent resident, you would need some proof, such as rental agreement, utility bill etc that shows you are here permanently, althogn in some circumstances they may require you to complete a form stating that you now live permanently in the UK. Complications could arise if you have open bank accounts etc in Thailand with you name on them, this could be taken to show you are not intending to stay in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like a case for the Surinder Singh method.
Perhaps you know all about Surinder Singh and have rejected that idea?
If not then be sure to read up, there is a Surinder Singh wiki in this forum.
In a nutshell, it means you can bring the wife and other child as soon as you get a job in Dublin or some other EU city.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

The main idea is to take my son so we would hopefully get help from the government...
If by help you mean benefits, then you won't be able to claim any for 3 months as you have been out of the UK for too long.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...al-Residence-T

With just £500 until your first payday, you would do better leaving your children with their mother while you find work.

Last edited by formula; Jan 16th 2016 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by holly_1948
You sound like a case for the Surinder Singh method.
Perhaps you know all about Surinder Singh and have rejected that idea?
If not then be sure to read up, there is a Surinder Singh wiki in this forum.
In a nutshell, it means you can bring the wife and other child as soon as you get a job in Dublin or some other EU city.
I did not know that. Ive got heaps of teaching experience it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere for a 6 month or more contract.
So what happens when you get to the uk with your wife and two kids and you've got no job there? Are you supposed to just receive benefits and housing almost immediately entering the UK or do you have to support yourself with work or savings?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know that. Ive got heaps of teaching experience it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere for a 6 month or more contract.
So what happens when you get to the uk with your wife and two kids and you've got no job there? Are you supposed to just receive benefits and housing almost immediately entering the UK or do you have to support yourself with work or savings?
No, for the same reason (and link) I gave. Under present rules it is a 3 month wait for UK benefits.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I

Your wife needs a visa to even visit the UK - so no just turning up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.