Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Would you still move to Qatar?

Would you still move to Qatar?

Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you still move to Qatar?

Despite the blockade and changes would you still move to Qatar from within the GCC?

Thanks

ER
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you still move to Qatar?

Originally Posted by eastrunner
Despite the blockade and changes would you still move to Qatar from within the GCC?

Thanks

ER
Honestly, so long as its the right job offer, and you can put up with all the normal issues of living in Qatar, there's no reason not too. Inside the country you wouldn't realise that there was a blockade at all. The blocking of direct flights to Dubai/Abu Dhabi is a deal breaker for some but otherwise business as usual.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:44 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have fancied it much before and definitely not now. My concern wouldn't be about the current situation but the possibility that it could develop into a much worse situation.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

"Good guys don't have to"
Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you must.

Day to day life is fine. No real changes other than the disappearance of diet coke in cans (but can still get them in glass bottles, on and off). Dairy products are now mostly Turkish and tends to go off quickly. And no direct flights to the UAE, going via Muscat is usually 8-10 hours door to door.

The real reason for not moving to Qatar is the quality of life is below the UAE. It's fine, but it's boring, dusty and shitty. If the money is fantastic, go for it but accept the realities of the tradeoffs. The UAE, especially Dubai, has a certain je ne sais quoi that justifies being there and which does not exist in Qatar, a country that feels more like a purgatory where life and people go nowhere.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Only if you must.

Day to day life is fine. No real changes other than the disappearance of diet coke in cans (but can still get them in glass bottles, on and off). Dairy products are now mostly Turkish and tends to go off quickly. And no direct flights to the UAE, going via Muscat is usually 8-10 hours door to door.

The real reason for not moving to Qatar is the quality of life is below the UAE. It's fine, but it's boring, dusty and shitty. If the money is fantastic, go for it but accept the realities of the tradeoffs. The UAE, especially Dubai, has a certain je ne sais quoi that justifies being there and which does not exist in Qatar, a country that feels more like a purgatory where life and people go nowhere.
Assuming that Qatar has the same summer slowdown, is anyone actually expected to return in September?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Well currently in Muscat so contemplating?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I like the lack of traffic so I hope not.

But I suspect people will and tendering is picking up. Sort of.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Assuming that Qatar has the same summer slowdown, is anyone actually expected to return in September?
FYI a lot if the Arab expats, especially the Egyptians, never went on their summer leave in fear of not being able to get back into the country.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Aug 8th 2017 at 7:41 am.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd take Muscat over Doha like a shot.

I know Muscat is pretty quiet too but the countryside is fantastic if you love camping and exploring wadis, which I do.

Plus Dubai is a short flight or 5 hours drive away, great for weekends.

Last but not least, Omanis are far friendlier and real people than Qataris.

Originally Posted by eastrunner
Well currently in Muscat so contemplating?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the current political climate...they'd have to double my salary for me to even remotely think about moving to Qatar...it truly is a sh*t hole
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Regardless of the current political climate...they'd have to double my salary for me to even remotely think about moving to Qatar...it truly is a sh*t hole
or they could offer you a 1/3 more and just tell you they doubled it.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Bad man!
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Mission is still thinking about that one!!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:52 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
...if you love camping and exploring wadis, which I do.
Is that a euphemism? If it isn't, I think it should be (as an avid explorer of Omani wadis myself)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.