Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Here in Dubai, we have entertained three separate visitors from the UK in the last fortnight......... all three found the place 'horrendously expensive' (or less polite words to that effect).

They are right of course - but this has serious implications: all three returned home saying how much they enjoyed seeing Dubai - "but I won't come again". How is this going to help the place meet its new overly-ambitious tourist/visitor plans, which it desperately needs to achieve to have any hope of economic prosperity........

Last edited by The Dean; Dec 8th 2012 at 7:43 am. Reason: .
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Here in Dubai, we have entertained three separate visitors from the UK in the last fortnight......... all three found the place 'horrendously expensive' (or less polite words to that effect).

They are right of course - but this has serious implications: all three returned home saying how much they enjoyed seeing Dubai - "but I won't come again". How is this going to help the place meet its new overly-ambitious tourist/visitor plans, which it desperately needs to achieve to have any hope of economic prosperity........

Really? Where did you take them? I reckon you can spend a great dale, but you don't have too. Taxis are cheap, there are lots of offers for eating out and for trips you can use, so it depends on what a person wants to do. I really don't think Dubai is any more expensive than London on balance.

And they wouldn't come back to see you?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Really? Where did you take them? I reckon you can spend a great dale, but you don't have too. Taxis are cheap, there are lots of offers for eating out and for trips you can use, so it depends on what a person wants to do. I really don't think Dubai is any more expensive than London on balance.

And they wouldn't come back to see you?
We spent some time with them, of course, but largely left them to do their own thing........ they may have strayed into the most expensive coffee shops, sandwich bars, etc........... it is expensive though - even visitors from London say so. And you wouldn't eevn want nightmares about buying electrical goods here.......... (and don't get me started on DDF).
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Duvel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm new to BE and I will be moving to Abu Dhabi next year.

I just wanted to confirm the prices on the sheet is still accurate. I would more specifically like to know if the water and electricity along with the car insurance is accurate.

Thanks for the creator of the spreadsheet it is really useful and very much appreciated.

Thanks Again!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

donomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Autonomy, thanks this is useful. What about Al Ain? I've had a teaching job offer to move there and I'd ideally like to try and save a little bit of money/go travelling in the holidays. The deal will be approx 14,000 AED/month. I'm outgoing, would like to get involved in sport and would probably try and go to Dubai once/twice a month if possible. Accommodation provided. Any advice much appreciated! I've spent time abroad before but mainly volunteering so I'm not sure how negotiation would work - any advice much appreciated!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Senpaiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Bit of feed back and advice please -

I have been offered a package to relocate just me for now to Dubai, I do have a family but the initial role only comes with an allowence suitable for an individual.

Having worked out what I need to send back to replace my current wages plus a bit I will be left with around 100,000 AED per annum/ 9,000AED per month.

Is this sufficient for a decent 1 bed apparement in say Motor City and general living costs? I am in my 40's and past the party stage, but I'm not dead yet! My down time is generally spent training as I'm into Martial Arts or in front of the TV with a bottle of wine, generally go out once a week.

On top of the 100,000 AED I do get a fully funded Car as I will be traveling around a lot, to refineries etc - woould get full medical and £4,000.00 a year flight allowence.

All advice appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

All, please forgive my utter ignorance but in potentially moving to Dubai or Qatar with mu current employer (a Global Professional Services Firm), am I right in assuming that I can "Negotiate" at least my UK Salary (tax free), plus an allowance for housing and school fees for my children (aged 5 and 2). Is that a reasonable request? I fear that if I cannot at least get that package is simply isn't worth the move as I will still have expenses here in the UK to maintain, not least my house and my elderly mother.

Grateful for any advice/ feedback you can all give.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Hi guys, have now read the spreadsheet calculator which is very similar to my personal scenario alveit I only have two kids. Inthink it still looks marginal, esp when I would expect 20,000Dhs per month just for housing - is this really reasonablebor am I being greedy? Id also neeed two cars and wantnthe lifestyle to be able to go out to dinner with my family as and when I choose. However, I'm likely to have circa 5,000Dhs costs in the UK which I simply cannot get out of, so I'm really asking for asvice as to what housing and schooling package I can bargain for at the negotiating table?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

fallenc15 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys, I'm currently a traffic engineer working for a large consultancy in Scotland but I'm very much interested in working in the middle east (dubai, abu dhabi, qatar). It seems most jobs out there require a lot of experience, I currently have 3 years experience here and just looking for any advice anyone has on the best way to find an opportunity out there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old May 5th 2013, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Holsy7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post is very useful, thanks
Old May 29th 2013, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Dean
We spent some time with them, of course, but largely left them to do their own thing........ they may have strayed into the most expensive coffee shops, sandwich bars, etc........... it is expensive though - even visitors from London say so. And you wouldn't eevn want nightmares about buying electrical goods here.......... (and don't get me started on DDF).
Im puzzled by your electrical goods statement Dean? Are you refering to the cost as in general i think electrical goods are cheaper than the uk right? Apple products are definitely cheaper and my Samsung 55" was the equivalent of £2000 here yet £2500 in the uk. Of course the weakening of the £ over the last couple of months hasnt helped but in general it seems the same cost or cheaper for electricals.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Dean2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, where is there an athletics/running track in dubai and how much is it use and is there an indoor track for the summer season
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

uqureshi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

I've been following some other threads on this forum as well regarding legal jobs in UAE. Below is what I have done in a nutshell:

- Pakistani Matriculation 66% (Pathetic)
- A-Levels (BBC) grades
- HND Merit/distinction profile
- First Class Degree after Top Up from Herriot Watt Dubai.
- GDL and LPC from Nottingham Trent Uni
- Got LLM as well after clearing some other exams etc.
- Have experience of different jobs, lived in Dubai for sometime.. know culture, some Arabic as well - but NO legal experience.
- I tried pretty hard to get a Training Contract in UK but no joy, especially I was an International Student and required a different Visa to work in UK I had quite less time to get a TC and it just didn't work.

I now moved to UAE with my brother and although I am not worried about living costs for now, I still need some job obv. So the thing is my academics are not awesome and I have genuine reasons for that, took gap years to save and pay for my fee and currently have some debt as well.

Q: Now to actual question:
I have applied to certain firms etc. for legal positions and I understand that I won't be paid a really good salary because I don't have any experience or completed a training contract either. So, when I go for interviews and they ask me about the expected salary -
What should I say? What do you guys think will be good enough or a justified salary considering the academics, work experience etc. and my nationality (Pakistani) ? I know that people from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. get paid lesser salaries than their counter parts from UK, US, Canada etc.

It's just the way it is.. so it is an important factor as well.

Any helpful answers or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you everybody!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Location: I live in the UK at present, but have been in contact with a middle east agency
joseph foreman is an unknown quantity at this point

hi-what is Kuwait like for living in for welsh guy?> I am hoping to have a skype interview for teaching pilates and mobile personal training.

I'd need as much info as i can get please
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joseph foreman
hi-what is Kuwait like for living in for welsh guy?> I am hoping to have a skype interview for teaching pilates and mobile personal training.

I'd need as much info as i can get please

There may not be enough sheep...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.