Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

where's the HSBC thread?

where's the HSBC thread?

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:10 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where's the HSBC thread?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Do you honestly think any major call centre is any different?
Yes. ENBD is 1000 times better than HSBC: they can actually solve problems and take initiative. They just make it ridiculously hard to get through to them now with endless inane menus.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Yes. ENBD is 1000 times better than HSBC: they can actually solve problems and take initiative. They just make it ridiculously hard to get through to them now with endless inane menus.
I mean more about the drive to get calls answered, handled and passed on or ended. Each team will have targets and stats. Dicking around in a menu probably helps zing a few pointless calls from getting through or to an automated thing which means calls are handled better....maybe?

I called Du the other night, forgot to pay the bill this month. Not really sure why, just totally forgot it. Anyway, rang, got through, said I could pay, not a problem....sent to main menu to follow automated process.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

There is one helpful and knowledgeable lady in HSBC in Bur Dubai. She has dealt with my requests a few times over the years. I do, however, worry that she is the only good one in the whole organisation though.

As for call centres.... try HM Revenue and Customs... all voice recognition and stupid options. Was on there for 5 mins the other day when it got bored and said 'Goodbye' and hung up on me.

With that in mind, I went into HSBC last week to open a US dollar account on my normal account and the guy said that I needed to give them my National Insurance number (hence the call to HM R&C. He said this was a new requirement for all expats who originate from a tax paying country. Anyone know what this is about?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 12:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
, I went into HSBC last week to open a US dollar account on my normal account and the guy said that I needed to give them my National Insurance number (hence the call to HM R&C. He said this was a new requirement for all expats who originate from a tax paying country. Anyone know what this is about?
After the issue with Swiss banks a few years ago, and the theft of a database of foreign customers of one of the big Swiss banks, was leaked first to German, then British and American tax authorities, countries started beating up the banks to report taxable income to tax authorities. It has hit the Swiss, Channel Islands, and IoM banks hard (a number of banks have shut their CI and IoM locations ), but meanwhile everyone else has to provide their tax IDs, such as a British NI number, to enable reporting of income.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
err Mark you need to take a breather mate lol.....chill out, it's all good
Thanks, just wanted to let you know how we are restricted and customer service executives usually have the problem between satisfying the customers and the organization, it is like if your parents are having a quarrel and you can't take a side or blame anyone, customers push you to solve the problems, organization asks you to reduce call times for the service level and at the same time be nice and take ownership and first call resolution, Thanks God, I am working now in a bank with not many problems like phones, internet, computers companies, God be with them, simply this job makes you think seriously, how I can be a magician to fix the problems by tickling your fingers
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Fascinating insight about the inner workings of that institution which helps explain a lot. I find the call centre at ENBD to be far more empowered and capable to help - if you can get through to them and get a helpful agent. Much more useful than my utterly unempowered "relationship manager" who can't resolve anything, even having to tell me that I had to take up my issue with the difficulty of accessing the call centre with...the call centre... I can tell it's killing his soul. I think our friend Mark may be in a similar position?
NBD is also international, good point the call center agents have a lot of authorities, although you maybe a lucky person (hope that is always) to not have issues with NBD but I am sure if anyone posted a thread about that bank, you will find lots of people have problems, I always say, it is not about the organization, it is about one's own destiny or karma , there are people who live in Sweden and suicide and there are people in Africa are very happy (I am sorry I talk a lot )
Forum Regular

There is one helpful and knowledgeable lady in HSBC in Bur Dubai. She has dealt with my requests a few times over the years. I do, however, worry that she is the only good one in the whole organisation though.

As for call centres.... try HM Revenue and Customs... all voice recognition and stupid options. Was on there for 5 mins the other day when it got bored and said 'Goodbye' and hung up on me.

With that in mind, I went into HSBC last week to open a US dollar account on my normal account and the guy said that I needed to give them my National Insurance number (hence the call to HM R&C. He said this was a new requirement for all expats who originate from a tax paying country. Anyone know what this is about?
In the branches and customer service unites, they have more authorities, quicker solutions.

Yes all you need is to fill CRS form (self certification for Common Report Standard), you need to mention your place of birth, you resident location, TIN (Tax number) and if you dont have it you need to mention a valid reason to open a new account, that is for new regulations in all banks that adhere to international laws.

Although I wish tax systems stops but this is a must according to FATCA.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
After the issue with Swiss banks a few years ago, and the theft of a database of foreign customers of one of the big Swiss banks, was leaked first to German, then British and American tax authorities, countries started beating up the banks to report taxable income to tax authorities. It has hit the Swiss, Channel Islands, and IoM banks hard (a number of banks have shut their CI and IoM locations ), but meanwhile everyone else has to provide their tax IDs, such as a British NI number, to enable reporting of income.
So my question is.... do I want to give them my NI number? Currently I have an account and all is good, however, I'm expecting a decent sized transfer of dollars into it and so would like a dollar account so I don't get screwed on the exchange / fees or whatever...... but currently HM R&C knows nada about my earnings and although I've nothing to hide, I'd rather it stayed like that. The least they know the better. So, is it worth taking the hit on the exchange / fees and keeping HM R&C in the dark or am I going to have to give up my NI sooner or later anyway??
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 5:20 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

So my question is.... do I want to give them my NI number??
If you are not required to prove it, won't any number do?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

yep we recently had a new consultant from Canada join us and when he went to open an account with HSBC, they asked him for his tax number/ref for his home country and until he supplied that, he's account wouldn't be open.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mission
yep we recently had a new consultant from Canada join us and when he went to open an account with HSBC, they asked him for his tax number/ref for his home country and until he supplied that, he's account wouldn't be open.
Now have my NI number thanks to the good people at HM R&C.... but I am still reluctant to give it to them, however, I'm not sure going along with Weasal's advice is a good plan. How about having just one number out....? A simple mistake to make?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Now have my NI number thanks to the good people at HM R&C.... but I am still reluctant to give it to them, however, I'm not sure going along with Weasal's advice is a good plan. How about having just one number out....? A simple mistake to make?
Transpose the two numbers. Much more convincing.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Good that you took the number, but you will have hard times with the bank
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So my question is.... do I want to give them my NI number? Currently I have an account and all is good, however, I'm expecting a decent sized transfer of dollars into it and so would like a dollar account so I don't get screwed on the exchange / fees or whatever...... but currently HM R&C knows nada about my earnings and although I've nothing to hide, I'd rather it stayed like that. The least they know the better. So, is it worth taking the hit on the exchange / fees and keeping HM R&C in the dark or am I going to have to give up my NI sooner or later anyway??
Originally Posted by Millhouse
Transpose the two numbers. Much more convincing.
If it is reported back as a name-number mismatch, what will be the consequence?

I have no idea, but I suspect that giving deliberately false information, albeit indirectly, to HMR&C might not be the best idea you ever had.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it is reported back as a name-number mismatch, what will be the consequence?

I have no idea, but I suspect that giving deliberately false information, albeit indirectly, to HMR&C might not be the best idea you ever had.
I wouldn't be giving it to HM R&C tho, I would be giving it to HSBC....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.