Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

where's the HSBC thread?

where's the HSBC thread?

Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where's the HSBC thread?

Originally Posted by Mark callaway
That is awesome, that they gave you the information without any court orders
Not just "information", they sent us back about £3,400.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not just "information", they sent us back about £3,400.
Refunding money is easy, for example, in HSBC if a customer made a transaction with a merchant with the debit or credit card they verbally and verbally only the merchant told the customer they will refund it and they did not, the customer makes a dispute form and maximum 6 months and he will find the amount in his account or credit card but if the bank found it is genuine they charge the customer 100 AED for each disputed transaction
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

You are asking a question that how the bank will trace the cheque to know if it is deposited or cashed in any other bank or not?

Ok, as you people say the question doesn't make sense (with all respect to you personally), why? because it is not the duty of the bank, it is your duty, you wrote a legal paper and the other person denied receiving it, who's fault is that? it is your fault, what if the beneficiary traveled with the cheque and deposited in ATM deposit machine in Cambodia or Iceland? how the bank will trace it?, that is why the best option to transfer money between accounts from the branch or online banking or you yourself go with the cheque and deposit it where you know where and when and to which bank you deposited it, same idea like you gave cash to a person and no witness and he denied, it is your fault, so if you own a company and you wrote a cheque to John Goblins or whatever and they denied receiving a cheque just ignore his claim and don't write another cheque, if he sued you then maybe the central bank would order all banks to search for that cheque with the serial number in all banks in the country or maybe all over the world I don't know but from the bank side it is not their business.
this makes NO sense whatsoever and you work in banking?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The paid cheque should be printed, on the back, with the details of the account it was paid into. With electronic processing it might not actually be on the back, but when "your" bank receives the cheque to be paid, it will come with details of which account it was paid into.
yep I get that - how long does it take the bank to retrieve the actual cheque from wherever all cleared cheques are kept - is it easy or is it a long process for them to get hold of the actual cheque - that's my question.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
yep I get that - how long does it take the bank to retrieve the actual cheque from wherever all cleared cheques are kept - is it easy or is it a long process for them to get hold of the actual cheque - that's my question.
Well in 2017, or 2010 for that matter, cleared cheques are stored electronically. So how long does it take the right person with the right system access? Probably about 30 seconds, but the account holder can probably do it themself anyway.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:36 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Well in fairness he works for HSBC UAE, not really the same thing....
Old Feb 19th 2017, 1:38 pm

You are asking a question that how the bank will trace the cheque to know if it is deposited or cashed in any other bank or not?

Ok, as you people say the question doesn't make sense (with all respect to you personally), why? because it is not the duty of the bank, it is your duty, you wrote a legal paper and the other person denied receiving it, who's fault is that? it is your fault, what if the beneficiary traveled with the cheque and deposited in ATM deposit machine in Cambodia or Iceland? how the bank will trace it?, .....
You don't seem to understand how cheque processing works. It makes no difference whether the cheque is deposited locally or on the far side of the world, the cheque, or these days an electronic copy of it, necessarily comes full circle back to the bank the cheque was drawn on. ..... Think about it, even from the customer's perspective it has to, otherwise how would a bank know to bounce a cheque?

This is also true of a bank draft/cashier's cheque, or even a traveller's cheque, but obviously it comes back to the bank's own account for the funds to be debited, not a customer account. The only thing you can deposit that doesn't come full circle, back to a bank, is cold hard cash - that is good for face value, assuming it isn't counterfeit.

When the cheque, or the electronic copy, comes back to the bank the cheque is drawn on it includes the information about the account it was deposited into, and the branch/location where the cheque was deposited. Exactly how easy it is to understood/ decode the information is a slightly different question, but IMO the account number is usually fairly obvious.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2017 at 1:45 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Yes for me as customer service via phone banking, and I said in the branch maybe they have other tools, we don't have a lot of tools over the phone, but you know even if what the electronic copy system is working in the bank I am working in, I am not allowed to say information with no reference, I would refer the customer to the branch as the managers and quality managers don't know this information and I would be scored down even if I said such "right information", call center world lol
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

That is right Miss Ann

Mr Pulaski, thanks for the information, you seem that you are dealing with the banks for a long time, but I am happy that at least I added any useful information even if it is tiny

Regards
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth do posters assume that the UAE banking system is the same as in the US? How banks work in the US is irrelevant to this query.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Meow
Why on earth do posters assume that the UAE banking system is the same as in the US? How banks work in the US is irrelevant to this query.
Who said anything about US banks? My advice applies to international banking, and I have worked in the international space dealing with banks, cheques, bills, drafts, and wires notably in the Middle East, and the UK, but also in Africa, Asia, Europe, and yes, some in the Americas too.

Oh, and I can assure you the processing of cheques is the same the world over.

And BTW a bit of history for you: "modern" banking in terms of book keeping and payments and transfer processing, was invented around 600 years ago by the Italians, and even though it spread around the world, it hasn't changed a whole lot since.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2017 at 1:44 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
That is right, I even asked senior agents if I could send emails to departments in the branch like clearing cheques dept or payment teams and they told me not to, I told them that is to help customer's enquirers, they said, the internal departments would escalate me, because it is not their job, all I can do if a customer is asking something out of our hands or complaining about a process i can ask a team called "customer relations" if I can raise a query or a complaint to internal depts to not have invalid requests and I get scored down in my appraisals, as customer relation is responsible for "customer experience" and resolving escalated issues, as if I said any wrong information, customer would complain me and that will result in operational loss where legally he will have the right to demand the bank of what I told him.

So I decided to turn to a machine with fake smile answering the phone to satisfy customers and my managers and to not think outside the box, and I am sorry that I opened the previous thread, and I am sorry I wanted to help, maybe that was my ego deep inside not a real help, I am useless as one British customer called, I will die

So sorry for typing a lot, sorry for bothering you, sorry if I am strange, or I don't speak English

Have a great day really
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

err Mark you need to take a breather mate lol.....chill out, it's all good
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:42 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

That is right, I even asked senior agents if I could send emails to departments in the branch like clearing cheques dept or payment teams and they told me not to, I told them that is to help customer's enquirers, they said, the internal departments would escalate me, because it is not their job, all I can do if a customer is asking something out of our hands or complaining about a process i can ask a team called "customer relations" if I can raise a query or a complaint to internal depts to not have invalid requests and I get scored down in my appraisals, as customer relation is responsible for "customer experience" and resolving escalated issues, as if I said any wrong information, customer would complain me and that will result in operational loss where legally he will have the right to demand the bank of what I told him.

So I decided to turn to a machine with fake smile answering the phone to satisfy customers and my managers and to not think outside the box, and I am sorry that I opened the previous thread, and I am sorry I wanted to help, maybe that was my ego deep inside not a real help, I am useless as one British customer called, I will die

So sorry for typing a lot, sorry for bothering you, sorry if I am strange, or I don't speak English

Have a great day really
Fascinating insight about the inner workings of that institution which helps explain a lot. I find the call centre at ENBD to be far more empowered and capable to help - if you can get through to them and get a helpful agent. Much more useful than my utterly unempowered "relationship manager" who can't resolve anything, even having to tell me that I had to take up my issue with the difficulty of accessing the call centre with...the call centre... I can tell it's killing his soul. I think our friend Mark may be in a similar position?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Fascinating insight about the inner workings of that institution which helps explain a lot. I find the call centre at ENBD to be far more empowered and capable to help - if you can get through to them and get a helpful agent. Much more useful than my utterly unempowered "relationship manager" who can't resolve anything, even having to tell me that I had to take up my issue with the difficulty of accessing the call centre with...the call centre... I can tell it's killing his soul. I think our friend Mark may be in a similar position?
Do you honestly think any major call centre is any different?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.