Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where should my sister go in Dubai????

Where should my sister go in Dubai????

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should my sister go in Dubai????

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I would sooner take a jet ski into Iranian waters than go near Boudior or any of those other lebo hang-outs.

Alot of the bars that used to be good are now just like freak-shows.
JD, Lebo hangouts like Boudoir aren't aimed at guys like you...accept it.

MM, xx
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:00 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
JD, Lebo hangouts like Boudoir aren't aimed at guys like you...accept it.

MM, xx
I know, its for cheating housewifes who enjoy getting their ego's massaged by slimey little turds who will feed them full of shit in the hope of getting a s***.

mostly they succeed
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:00 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
so you've got no taste...now we know...

MM, xx
Au contraire...my penchant for avoiding overpriced, identikit, pseudo-style bars which are devoid of personality and frequented by plastic, shallow, Ahlan wannabes who wouldn't understand a well mixed drink if it spoke in single syllables and drew instructions with crayons, makes me a doyen of taste.

The Buddha Bar in Paris is quite good, the Buddha Bar in Beirut is pretty bad, but at least it is frequented by moderately more interesting people.

W10, xx

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:04 pm
W10

Oh and the only two bars worse in Dubai are:

1, C-bar: cheap imitation of an appalling but admittedly stylish Beirut hangout. This has all of the bad racist leb attitude, all of the bad drinks, but none of the charm

2, 44? The other one at the Grovesnor House. Even less charming than the Buddha Bar, with with the added bonus of having a (decent) wine list that is so overpriced it is considering becoming an Emaar property development. Only for people who have nothing else in their lives than to show off.

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:06 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Oh and the only two bars worse in Dubai are:

1, C-bar: cheap imitation of an appalling but admittedly stylish Beirut hangout. This has all of the bad racist leb attitude, all of the bad drinks, but none of the charm

2, 44? The other one at the Grovesnor House. Even less charming than the Buddha Bar, with with the added bonus of having a (decent) wine list that is so overpriced it is considering becoming an Emaar property development. Only for people who have nothing else in their lives than to show off.
It would be quicker to list the bars that ARE any good.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:07 pm
W10

Well as Dubai is the capital of bland, identikit pseudo-style bars (and restaurants)

You could well be right.

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:09 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
Well as Dubai is the capital of bland, identikit pseudo-style bars (and restaurants)

You could well be right.
well whats your personal top 3, so that i may give them a try.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

44 it is then
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
W10

It all depends on what you want from a bar...I also tend not to go out so much because the whole 'look at me' Dubai scene bores me a little so I dip in and out.

But...I like:

Blue Bar
Sho Chos (more for the location than the clientele. The location is awesome)
The Cigar Bar at the Fairmont
Uptown Bar at JBH because they do suprisingly good cocktails and I can relax there, and because the decor is so so so terrible
It's old but I still like the cut of Lotus One's jib...again they have good mixologists there
I quite like Ginseng, but that is a mixture of good background music and decent food...

The bext club in Dubai bar none is iBO, although one of the best nights I ever had in Dubai was at the apartment when 'Heartless Crew' played. Boudoir has the best decor of any club in the city but the worst clientele (except on a Saturday night when they play Bhangra/Persian fusion stuff). having only been once, I can say Chi at the Lodge is also a great venue.

The best shop in Dubai is Five Green

The best art gallery in Dubai is Third Line but won't be for long hopefully.

Best (no...most interesting) restaurant in Dubai is Tang

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:29 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Dubai scene bores me a little so I dip in and out.

Really
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:30 pm
W10

in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
W10

oh...and I used to end up at Jimmy Dix with alarming regularity when pissed!

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Its all good

Hahhaahhaah sorry couldn't resist that one
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:38 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
oh...and I used to end up at Jimmy Dix with alarming regularity when pissed!
Dear oh dear...Jimmy Dix and Rock Bottoms...last chance saloons
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:40 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by W10
It all depends on what you want from a bar...I also tend not to go out so much because the whole 'look at me' Dubai scene bores me a little so I dip in and out.

But...I like:

Blue Bar
Sho Chos (more for the location than the clientele. The location is awesome)
The Cigar Bar at the Fairmont
Uptown Bar at JBH because they do suprisingly good cocktails and I can relax there, and because the decor is so so so terrible
It's old but I still like the cut of Lotus One's jib...again they have good mixologists there
I quite like Ginseng, but that is a mixture of good background music and decent food...

The bext club in Dubai bar none is iBO, although one of the best nights I ever had in Dubai was at the apartment when 'Heartless Crew' played. Boudoir has the best decor of any club in the city but the worst clientele (except on a Saturday night when they play Bhangra/Persian fusion stuff). having only been once, I can say Chi at the Lodge is also a great venue.

The best shop in Dubai is Five Green

The best art gallery in Dubai is Third Line but won't be for long hopefully.

Best (no...most interesting) restaurant in Dubai is Tang
I must confess, I do like Chi now that it has re-opened.
Never done iBO though.....might have to give it a go sometime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.