Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to do BEng or BSc in Dubai?

Where to do BEng or BSc in Dubai?

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:37 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do BEng or BSc in Dubai?

Originally Posted by AdamLM
Thanks for the info. To be honest I didn't realise it was so intense. Maybe i'll consider doing something else. Perhaps i'll start with something like a HNC or foundation degree and do top up modules at my own pace.

I just absolutely cannot afford to take time off work to do full time education and i'm at the point in my life where I'm kicking myself for not doing more in my younger years, especially during my time in the military
Science courses tend to be heavy on the hours, however rather than discounting the idea completely I think the idea of the HNC etc. has some merits.
If you could complete something at this level on your own and then look for a company willing to employ you on perhaps a 4 day week or with allotted course breaks giving you a chance to gain a higher qualification. Though you may have to commit to staying with them for a while.
I'm not sure how common that arrangement would be in the UAE, I doubt a local company would do it. You'd be looking for an originally Uk based company.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:42 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I committed to finishing my chartership when I started in this job...... that was a decade ago and I still don't have it..... Far too busy for that shizzle.
You need to get stationed somewhere remote and inhospitable for a few months, then you'll get it done. Or at least that's what finally pushed me into doing it.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You need to get stationed somewhere remote and inhospitable for a few months, then you'll get it done. Or at least that's what finally pushed me into doing it.
Agreed. Massively regret not starting it when I lived in Kuwait when I first moved to the ME. Probably could have battered it out in a few weeks.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

A bachelor's by distance is going to take forever, and if it doesn't it'll be suspect. A master's is different, but that's the nature of the beast.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

AdamLM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
A bachelor's by distance is going to take forever, and if it doesn't it'll be suspect. A master's is different, but that's the nature of the beast.
I understand this. I am currently approaching several places that offer HNC / HND qualifications. I'll look to do either of those and progress slowly so at least I can have something in the more short term to add to my CV.

Once I am at BSc or BEng i'll look to do a masters degree anyway as I can then push for CEng or IEng but I'm guessing i'll be in my 40s by then (31 at the moment)
Old Feb 7th 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamLM
I understand this. I am currently approaching several places that offer HNC / HND qualifications. I'll look to do either of those and progress slowly so at least I can have something in the more short term to add to my CV.

Once I am at BSc or BEng i'll look to do a masters degree anyway as I can then push for CEng or IEng but I'm guessing i'll be in my 40s by then (31 at the moment)
Keep this thread going. I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing...