Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to buy an iPhone 6 in Dubai (non-GCC version)

Where to buy an iPhone 6 in Dubai (non-GCC version)

Old Nov 1st 2014, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Bravo101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to buy an iPhone 6 in Dubai (non-GCC version)

I am looking to buy an iPhone 6 in Dubai but I was told that the versions sold in the Malls are GCC specs meaning that you can't use Facetime on them, is this true? if yes, where can one buy an international version?

I asked a couple of the shop assistants if they had a non-GCC version for sale but they said that they don't stock these, my friends tell me that they do but they are not keen on selling them to everyone who asks.

Thanks.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:09 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy an iPhone 6 in Dubai (non-GCC version)

How much are they?
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

2,749 AED for the 16GB, 3149 for the 64GB and 3599 for 128GB. Is there a clue in the pricing?
Old Nov 1st 2014, 10:42 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Computer Plaza in Bur Dubai.
Lots of stores sell non-GCC iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pros there.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:35 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bravo101
2,749 AED for the 16GB, 3149 for the 64GB and 3599 for 128GB. Is there a clue in the pricing?
No, just in Malaysia now where they haven't come out yet. Was wondering to ask a friend to bring one over.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:54 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine bought his HTC one M8 in Computer Plaza. Screen problem after 2 weeks. Gave it back to the shop who tried to replace the screen but couldn't. They rang him to say come and take it away, no warranty. Caveat Emptor indeed.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 1:21 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Friend of mine bought his HTC one M8 in Computer Plaza. Screen problem after 2 weeks. Gave it back to the shop who tried to replace the screen but couldn't. They rang him to say come and take it away, no warranty. Caveat Emptor indeed.
Always ask the shop about warranty when you buy. Some will provide 1 year warranty, but a lot of them provide nothing. And don't expect them to care when you have an issue (even if there is a years warranty), but then again that applies even if you buy from the bigger retailers. Better to get in touch with the manufacturer directly.

I've had a couple of macbooks fixed for free by apple service centres even though they were bought in Computer Plaza. No questions were asked...

If you are of the nervous disposition then basically don't buy grey import products!

The other option is to pay extra for device insurance. There are a few in the market. The one I've seen a lot lately is https://phabletfixplans.com
Old Nov 1st 2014, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the responses, I will see what computer plaza can offer.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

jadopado offer deals and a local warranty with next day delivery. Most other grey imports will not have warranty. I have used them in past and they are pretty good
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:06 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was assured by the shop at the time that it had a years warranty. Obviously not.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used Jadopado for Apple stuff, good prices and excellent service (ordered iPad at 8am, it was delivered at 11:30 am).
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:49 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by mikewot
My friend was assured by the shop at the time that it had a years warranty. Obviously not.
I see. Yeah that sucks. I suppose the issue could have been that the warranty they provide only covers repairs and not replacement but still I would have been spitting fire too.

This is the case for JadoPado basic warranty as well by the way (although you get accidental damage which is pretty awesome). Actually JadoPado seems to be improving in terms of prices lately..
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

I found an unlocked iPhone 6 non-GCC spec at HiPHONE in Marina Mall, it's a stall near Starbucks. Their price for the 64GB version is 3,795 AED versus JadoPado's 3,499 and I was told that they also offer a free one year warranty. A bit more expensive but at least you get a physical location if you need to take it back.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:09 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Bravo101
I found an unlocked iPhone 6 non-GCC spec at HiPHONE in Marina Mall, it's a stall near Starbucks. Their price for the 64GB version is 3,795 AED versus JadoPado's 3,499 and I was told that they also offer a free one year warranty. A bit more expensive but at least you get a physical location if you need to take it back.
Trust me when I say that having a physical location makes no difference!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Good to know that norsk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.