Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

View Poll Results: When was Dubai last a lovely place to live in?
30+ years ago, before Federation
2.27%
20 years ago, when we all nightclubbed in Sharjah
13.64%
10 years ago, when there was "nothing but the Trade Centre"
25.00%
5 years ago, when the Madinat was still Chicago Beach Village
25.00%
It's the perfect lovely place now
20.45%
Dubai's golden age hasn't dawned yet
13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:17 pm
W10

Default Re: When was Dubai last a lovely place?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that is hard, I don't know how they manage
Not to mention the 1m Asian expats who have to get by on less than Dh5,000 a month. But some people here live in a 'I'm all right jack' fantasy land

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Is your basic above 20k?

no
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

And you wonder why newer expats moan?

I would imagine that they only manage because they're single and live in shared accommodation.
yes, but the expats that I hear moaning all the time, aren't single and living in shared accomodation, they are married women, who aren't working who have kids and live in 'new dubai'. Just take a look on EPW, their moan last week was the perverts in MOE - like the rest of the world is pervert free???
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:25 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

no
Still, by getting 60k to pay towards your rent every six months, you're one hell of a lot better off than many people here.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:26 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Just take a look on EPW, their moan last week was the perverts in MOE - like the rest of the world is pervert free???
You'd think, though, that you'd be less likely to encounter perverts in a shopping mall in an Islamic country than elsewhere, wouldn't you?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think, though, that you'd be less likely to encounter perverts in a shopping mall in an Islamic country than elsewhere, wouldn't you?
why??
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:30 pm
Soupy twist

Supposedly higher moral standards, for one.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Still, by getting 60k to pay towards your rent every six months, you're one hell of a lot better off than many people here.
I am starting realise that, apart from someone close to you I must be mixing in the wrong circles. I always feel like the poor relative. People driving flash cars, holidaying all the time etc

yes you would but even muslims can be perverts
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Supposedly higher moral standards, for one.
the pervs discussed were asian labourers
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

pervert is a rather vague, all-encompassing word... what was the actual complaint?!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:33 pm
W10

I think you need to differentiate between moaners like myself and Gareth and those JJ types

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by secretdubai
Further to the when-did-the-novelty-wear-off? thread, when is the last time that people think Dubai was a genuinely lovely place to live in?

When I first arrived here six years ago it was a truly great place. For at least the first two years, and it was quite pleasant for about a year after then.

Then it descended into hell. Many people have criticised my blog for being much more "negative" in recent years, and I agree with them, but that's how I feel about the city in recent years.

I am not sure what the trigger of hell was, but possibly Jumeirah Beach Residence. Certainly something that forever changed Dubai from a very lovely, large town-city with a real sense of community, into a "shutthefckuporgohome" place of mass labour exploitation, soaring living costs, escalating rents, traffic gridlock construction hell, and generally no longer the kind of city I really want to live in.

Which is why I'm probably not going to be here much longer to be honest. "If you don't like it, leave" - well I don't, so I probably will.

But when do others believe that the "Golden Age" of Dubai finished? Was it ten years ago? Twenty, when everyone went to Sharjah for a good night out? Thirty plus, before Federation? Or has the Golden Age not dawned yet?
just re read the poll, ten years ago we had the Lodge and the Irish Village and plenty of other places for a night out, it wasn't just the Trade Centre!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by jvr20
pervert is a rather vague, all-encompassing word... what was the actual complaint?!
woman putting her stuff into a car and her kid was in a trolley nearby, the gentleman in question was touching himself, if you know what I mean.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:34 pm
W10

Originally Posted by jvr20
The attention wasn't heading in their direction?

Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
I think you need to differentiate between moaners like myself and Gareth and those JJ types
so you two have quit getting dressed up and getting your nails done etc??? about time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.