Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What to tell the taxman when moving from UK to UAE

What to tell the taxman when moving from UK to UAE

Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to tell the taxman when moving from UK to UAE

I've recently moved to the UAE. I will continue to do a UK tax return of course and pay tax on my UK earnings.

Do you have to inform HMRC at the point you move overseas, or is it OK to wait and do it as part of the next tax return?

I read the HMRC site but wasn't clear if I have to inform them straightaway in order to avoid paying UK taxes on my UAE earnings.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to tell the taxman when moving from UK to UAE

I think I've answered my own question.

I just filled this in online. https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/forms...-tax-right/new

Very quick and simple to do online and the logon ID is the same as the one for doing your normal tax return (I'm assuming most people here already have one of those IDs).
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:57 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You can complete and submit a P85 form. It's not mandatory but does clarify the situation.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't tell em anything. As Meow says, you can fill out the form, however, its no biggie if you don't.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:59 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
I've recently moved to the UAE. I will continue to do a UK tax return of course and pay tax on my UK earnings.

Do you have to inform HMRC at the point you move overseas, or is it OK to wait and do it as part of the next tax return?

I read the HMRC site but wasn't clear if I have to inform them straightaway in order to avoid paying UK taxes on my UAE earnings.

Thanks!
If you haven't already done so, it's worth considering opening a private UK pension, SIPP or similar, before the tax year ends. You can contribute £2,880 this tax-year and for the next 5, and get a free £720 (20% basic tax relief) each time.

You might also be due a tax refund if you were on PAYE before you left the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:28 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell them anything, Pike.