British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What foodstuffs can I bring into the UAE? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-foodstuffs-can-i-bring-into-uae-646678/)

Hello.Kitty Dec 30th 2009 6:37 pm

What foodstuffs can I bring into the UAE?

Could anyone tell me if I can bring the following items into Dubai in my suitcase? I can't seem to find any previous threads, or indeed any external links to the issue!

- Rowntree's jelly (ok, I may not chance this one, 'cos they do contain pork!)
- dried, organic baby pasta shells
- organic baby food (unopened, non-pork)
- organic porridge oats (unopened)
- organic baby/toddler snacks (rice-cakes, etc... unopened)

Just asking, cos I find these products are either relatively hard to come by or almost prohibitively expensive in Dubai. :o

Thanks in advance.
HK

Patsy Stoned Dec 30th 2009 8:16 pm

Re: What foodstuffs can I bring into the UAE?

I can't see that you would have a problem with any of the above .

Madam Medusa Dec 30th 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8207020)
I can't see that you would have a problem with any of the above .

no problem, they are all available here...in spinneys and elsewhere...why you'd be arsed to bring them in mind is another matter...

how about chateaubriand patsy, is that allowed, lmao...

MM, xx

TGFKASE Dec 30th 2009 8:27 pm

If you are taking stuff over, throw a couple of packs of decent black pudding in for me, would you...?

Hello.Kitty Dec 30th 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8207055)
If you are taking stuff over, throw a couple of packs of decent black pudding in for me, would you...?

hehe - I could imagine that black pudding would be a no-no on oh-so many levels!

Thanks for your input guys. As for why I would want to, well... I'm just weaning Master Kitty and have it in my head that I'd like him to have organic, or at least food that I can trust to not be pumped full of salt/sugar/crud. Plus, for example, our local AlMaya (sure, not the cheapest) does Organix kid's cereal bars - a 6 pack - for 54 AED. In Asda they're selling for £1.50. Nuff' said.

The Dean Dec 31st 2009 1:56 am

DON'T bring any codeine (e.g. Cocodamol etc) - it's a banned drug in most GCC countries........... and UAE is especially strict on it.

The Dean Dec 31st 2009 1:57 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8207610)
DON'T bring any codeine (e.g. Cocodamol etc) - it's a banned drug in most GCC countries........... and UAE is especially strict on it.

.... I know it's not a "foodstuff" but I thought I'd warn you anyway.

lionheart Dec 31st 2009 3:35 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8207610)

And they don't seem to like vibrators also.;)

spartans53 Dec 31st 2009 4:28 am

Pork is not a problem if you are not a muslim. Put some frozen stuff in your suitcase well wraped and it will be ready to eat when you get here. I have taken Bacon into some weird places but not KSA. I did used to take stuff to Sudan everytime I went as it assured me of an Airport pick up.

Patsy Stoned Dec 31st 2009 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8207023)
no problem, they are all available here...in spinneys and elsewhere...why you'd be arsed to bring them in mind is another matter...

how about chateaubriand patsy, is that allowed, lmao...

MM, xx

OMG!! Wasn't that the loveliest dinner last night. I am having the leftovers for lunch lol

Madam Medusa Dec 31st 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8207848)
OMG!! Wasn't that the loveliest dinner last night. I am having the leftovers for lunch lol

i'm jealous...enjoy...

MM, xx

Hello.Kitty Dec 31st 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 8207818)
Pork is not a problem if you are not a muslim. Put some frozen stuff in your suitcase well wraped and it will be ready to eat when you get here. I have taken Bacon into some weird places but not KSA. I did used to take stuff to Sudan everytime I went as it assured me of an Airport pick up.

that's interesting that pork isn't an issue - although I wouldn't attempt bringing fresh (even frozen) meat in a suitcase, if only because of potential leakage/hygiene issues.

Codeine I know about! I think I'd also steer clear of poppy seeds...