Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car to buy in the UAE

What car to buy in the UAE

Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to buy in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's the point.

The basic version looks wrong - the tyres are too small etc. The extreme version with the lift, air scoop and big tyres looks great.

I will say though that it drives like a boat in a storm , and the air scoop hums like a 2 dollar whore above 140kmh or in a cross wind.
Now that you say it, that makes sense about the tires and arches.

You have a 370z? Is this the equivalent of coming out of the closet through the medium of car ownership?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't confuse it with the Wrangler.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Now that you say it, that makes sense about the tires and arches.

You have a 370z? Is this the equivalent of coming out of the closet through the medium of car ownership?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I only use it when I do my part time hairdressing job.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I only use it when I do my part time hairdressing job.
You should tow the FJ behind it, quell the rumours
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm going to sell the 370z... sad day in my life when I made that decision.
How many cars have you got?

I upset someone recently when I said there was little point in owning a sporty car here. All the roads are straight, boring and have millions of speed cameras.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll never own an FJ anywhere else. 3/4 vision is pants, but they've got to be one of the coolest cars around. Plus practical, bullet-proof, made in Japan and suitable for both road and off-road.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
How many cars have you got?

I upset someone recently when I said there was little point in owning a sporty car here. All the roads are straight, boring and have millions of speed cameras.
Two. And you are correct - it's pointless. The only benefit is that I can get through two sets of traffic lights in one turn in business bay, whereas everyone else gets caught at the second set.

You'll never own an FJ anywhere else. 3/4 vision is pants, but they've got to be one of the coolest cars around. Plus practical, bullet-proof, made in Japan and suitable for both road and off-road.
Not forgetting low depreciation and cheap to maintain etc. Bit hungry on fuel though.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Two. And you are correct - it's pointless. The only benefit is that I can get through two sets of traffic lights in one turn in business bay, whereas everyone else gets caught at the second set.

Not forgetting low depreciation and cheap to maintain etc. Bit hungry on fuel though.
That alone quashes my thinking.

I'm trading in the Exploder for something sporty.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I had a Patrol Safari and it's hands down the best car I've ever owned. After 3 years I sold it for 70% of what I paid for it brand new. Forget the new shape. There's a reason why the UN and locals love them.

It never got stuck and was absolutely bombproof. They also look significantly cooler than the landcruisers.

Only two downsides. 1) service intervals were short at 4k kms from memory 2) it didn't like to stop quickly
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I had a Patrol Safari and it's hands down the best car I've ever owned. After 3 years I sold it for 70% of what I paid for it brand new. Forget the new shape. There's a reason why the UN and locals love them.

It never got stuck and was absolutely bombproof. They also look significantly cooler than the landcruisers.

Only two downsides. 1) service intervals were short at 4k kms from memory 2) it didn't like to stop quickly
I've had a Patrol Safari in my time - absolutely brilliant. So much torque I could change up-gear going up the dune.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of car ownership, the guy last week who "Paid" AED31million for a number plate saying how much he was honoured to help the UAE blah blah blah has now been arrested cos his cheque bounced and he admitted he bought it to flip it but didn't have the cash to pay for it up front.

Says a lot i think.

Gulf News
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed my VW R36 in UAE. More-or-less as quick as a 330i, comfortable, reliable, relatively cheap, 4WD (road-going 4WD, that is), and juvenilely-good at suprising mid-range Porsches and the like.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, So my new shortlist is:

Ford Explorer
Ford Exhibition (too big?)
Nissan Patrol
Toyota FJ cruiser
Mitsubishi Pajero

All on the basis that there's no point having a sports car here (and I've always had one in the UK so would like a change). If I'm going to get a gas guzzling giant at some point in my life, Abu Dhabi is the place to do it.

How do I avoid buying one that has been dune bashing and has it's parts full of sand?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dominoman
Ok, So my new shortlist is:

Ford Explorer
Ford Exhibition (too big?)
Nissan Patrol
Toyota FJ cruiser
Mitsubishi Pajero

All on the basis that there's no point having a sports car here (and I've always had one in the UK so would like a change). If I'm going to get a gas guzzling giant at some point in my life, Abu Dhabi is the place to do it.

How do I avoid buying one that has been dune bashing and has it's parts full of sand?
You can safely assume that all Patrols and most FJs have seen the sand.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Thought about something like an FJ when i changed car earlier in the. No point though as I had no interest in going off road. Settled on a Jag XF. Not likely to be able to afford to run one if I move back to UK/Europe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.