Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car to buy in the UAE

What car to buy in the UAE

Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default What car to buy in the UAE

First of all - I am sure I am not the first to start a thread on this, but I did search and I couldn't find anything! So please just repoint me to the thread if there is one and I'll leave quietly.

I'm starting in UAE soon and have been scouring Dubizzle for cars. To start with I'll rent, but I'd like to buy as soon as I can.

At the moment I have a BMW 330i here in the UK, and I love it. But am thinking for Abu Dhabi a bigger car would be better. We are a couple of two, no kids, and I'd want it for general commute to work, plus trips to Liwa, Dubai etc.

Unlikely I'll be taking it off road. I'd love to do some dune bashing, but surely that is like kryptonite to any decent car. I'll hire one for when I do that.

I've never had a proper large car, but am considering something like a Ford Explorer, a Disco, or Land Cruiser. A chance to guzzle some cheap petrol while I can.

The alternative is to stick to what I know and get a big engined BMW. They seem to be a lot better value second hand than the 4x4's. I guess because they are more popular with expats that leave at short notice?

The big Japanese cars seem very expensive second hand compared to the prices here in the UK. Yeah, I know I have to stop thinking of everything in pounds sterling but give me time...

Any advice on the process? Am I safe to buy from Dubizzle, to save money, or as a naive newbie to the region is a dealer safer?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What car to buy in the UAE

I bought an Explorer when I got here, well, almost a year after renting. It was a year and a bit old, AED 80,000. 20% down, rest on car loan. Got some services included as was still quite new.

Touch wood, no major problems bar one with the AC. Cheap to look after, cheap to fix and reliable. It's long been paid off, done well over 130,000km and still goes nicely.

My advice is not to bother buying something ridiculous until you're maybe more settled. I got close to selling mine and buying something nicer but then my office moved and I walk to work now. No point buying something else.

Explorer / Pajero / Pathfinder etc are all similar and good first cars out here. Especially the newer ones. Although the Pajero is pig ****ing ugly.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Ok great to hear that you like the Explorer. I think I'll do the same and get a slightly older car so I don't spend too much initially. Then I can upgrade after 6 months if it all works out here.

I'm going to look for some Explorers. I like the Expedition too - just for the ridiculously large size compared to what I drive back home (which most of the time is my wife's 15 year old Peugeot 206)
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by dominoman
Ok great to hear that you like the Explorer. I think I'll do the same and get a slightly older car so I don't spend too much initially. Then I can upgrade after 6 months if it all works out here.

I'm going to look for some Explorers. I like the Expedition too - just for the ridiculously large size compared to what I drive back home (which most of the time is my wife's 15 year old Peugeot 206)
I went from Audi A3 to the Explorer. Only negative is the build quality inside, but mines the old shape and was pure plastic, which after being in a nicer car in the UK was a shame, but it's still fun to drive an American V6.

Expedition is arguably too big. Parking in Mall car parks can be shit enough with a normal sized big car.

Buy something comfy and sensible for a year, then change if you feel the need.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

FJ

all the car you ever need.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

BMWs have piss poor resale values because they're usually sold once the warranty expires and the cost of servicing and repairs is massive. Be prepared to be shocked. It's a racket. And for various reasons BMWs have a reputation for not performing well in the UAE after a few years. Some claim it's because of the heat/humidity, and German cars aren't built for that. I suspect it's also because many BMW owners (mostly Arabs) drive their cars hard.

In short, avoid BMW resales. Same with Audis.

Japanese cars have high resale prices because there's an insatiable demand for used Japanese cars. They are very reliable, low servicing/repair costs post-warranty, can go for aeons without braking down. And certain cultural groups have a right fetish for certain brands of Japanese cars (Prados in particular) that keep their resale prices quite high.

If you want a 4x4, don't care about being flash, and want excellent maintenance reputation and fantastic resale (always very convenient if you need to leave the UAE quickly): get a Prado. Or a Pajero if you want something less expensive.

If you want to have a bit of fun then the FJ Cruiser is a popular option, though many consider FJ drivers to be wankers.

If you don't mind swallowing the depreciation and want the bells and whistles and easy driving of a luxury German car and have no intention of taking it offroad, get the Audi Q5.

Originally Posted by dominoman
The alternative is to stick to what I know and get a big engined BMW. They seem to be a lot better value second hand than the 4x4's. I guess because they are more popular with expats that leave at short notice?

The big Japanese cars seem very expensive second hand compared to the prices here in the UK. Yeah, I know I have to stop thinking of everything in pounds sterling but give me time...

Any advice on the process? Am I safe to buy from Dubizzle, to save money, or as a naive newbie to the region is a dealer safer?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
FJ

all the car you ever need.
that is such an fugly car
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you can now get a car report for used cars you are thinking of buying and so you will be able to see if the car has had any accidents etc...I would highly recommend you get a report - I am not sure how much it is, but whatever the cost, definitely worth it.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

and are you sure your mrs will be able to drive/park/manoeuvre a big a s s car?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
that is such an fugly car
I would argue that mine isn't. The extreme models are quite nice.

[picture for the original poster's benefit]

Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:09 am
Account Closed

I think the FJ's are cool.
I just couldn't see out of the one I got in which put me off, along with it being right at the tip top of my budget.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think the FJ's are cool.
I just couldn't see out of the one I got in which put me off, along with it being right at the tip top of my budget.
I'm going to sell the 370z... sad day in my life when I made that decision.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would argue that mine isn't. The extreme models are quite nice.
It looks good in that photo, though in the flesh it always seems to me like the proportions are wrong or off somehow.

Second hand Pajero is a decent shout, keep it for a year and see if you are going to be a full blown Dubai wanker or not. Then adjust your bling/gas guzzling requirements accordingly
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:19 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Very little beats my land cruiser
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
It looks good in that photo, though in the flesh it always seems to me like the proportions are wrong or off somehow.
That's the point.

The basic version looks wrong - the tyres are too small etc. The extreme version with the lift, air scoop and big tyres looks great.

I will say though that it drives like a boat in a storm , and the air scoop hums like a 2 dollar whore above 140kmh or in a cross wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.