Reload this Page >

want to buy an used car

want to buy an used car

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Hamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to buy an used car

Hi everyone,

We are moving whole family to AD and looking for a good used car. I hope can deal directly with any of expat who has plan to sell your car. I was advised that buying a brand new car is not a smart choice.

A Lexus ES series with recent year of registration or Nissan Maxima or Altima equivalent are of my consideration

Do you guys have any other recommendation for us?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to buy an used car

Originally Posted by Hamin
I was advised that buying a brand new car is not a smart choice.

Huh?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Huh?
Probably referring to the high rate of depreciation.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Huh?
yes, because of quick depreciation. 1 year around 20% off
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:17 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Search the forums for buying a used car in Bahrain. Substitute the word Bahrain with Abu Dhabi and you will get a good idea.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi everyone,

We are moving whole family to AD and looking for a good used car. I hope can deal directly with any of expat who has plan to sell your car. I was advised that buying a brand new car is not a smart choice.

A Lexus ES series with recent year of registration or Nissan Maxima or Altima equivalent are of my consideration

thanks in advance
Dubizzle.

I bet there are loads of Altimas.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

thanks in advance
maxima's are bad choice, they are very expensive on insurance and usually driven by certain nationalities.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes but you can at least trust that as a new car it hasnt been hammered......
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Here's a good link on the subject

http://tinyurl.com/bp8tb6f

Not much help maybe, but it made me chuckle...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robajob

Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robajob

brilliant...forums are the same the world over (although the correct use of your/you're in the Saxo bit is a bit of a spoof giveaway)
Old Aug 26th 2012, 8:39 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

My sense is that the depreciation curve here is different than in western countries. Traditionally in the west the maxim is that the car loses 20% of its value when you drive it off the forecourt and then follows a fairly straight-line loss of value up to about 5 years. Here it seems (to me anyway) that the initial loss in value is much lower, particularly for Japanese and German brands, and it starts by following a straight line for about three years and then dips dramatically. There is a much larger market here for "almost new" cars and that might account for why they hold their initial value. I guess the dip is associated with the ending of the warranty period.

This is all based on anecdotal observation but it was striking enough to me that I went against years of instinct and bought a new car last time around. My previous Dubai vehicle had been a year old when I bought it and then keeping it for 4 years proved to be a year too long when I went to sell as it only had value for the export market. Be sure to confirm the model year and not just the age if you do buy a used vehicle btw.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
This is all based on anecdotal observation but it was striking enough to me that I went against years of instinct and bought a new car last time around. My previous Dubai vehicle had been a year old when I bought it and then keeping it for 4 years proved to be a year too long when I went to sell as it only had value for the export market. Be sure to confirm the model year and not just the age if you do buy a used vehicle btw.
I agree with you... Can I ask what car you had and why it only had value to the export market (says Millhouse whose tuner is now 5 years old...). My sense is that Japanese brands do seem to hold their value for quite some time and beyond the 5 years you suggest (unlike the American brands that are basically sold for scrap at 5 years). Unless that is just wishful thinking from my side!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:27 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I agree with you... Can I ask what car you had and why it only had value to the export market (says Millhouse whose tuner is now 5 years old...). My sense is that Japanese brands do seem to hold their value for quite some time and beyond the 5 years you suggest (unlike the American brands that are basically sold for scrap at 5 years). Unless that is just wishful thinking from my side!
Sorry if this does not conform with your theory: Lexus RX330, in perfect mechanical order and relatively modest odometer number (about 65k if I remember), CD player was frigged but otherwise pristine. I think there may be a point with "prestige" brands that there is more value available for export of older models than in UAE. I was satisfied with the trade-in value compared to what I could see similar vehicles being sold for but the buyer told me he could only send it for export. It was clear that there was a big drop in value after year 3.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
My sense is that the depreciation curve here is different than in western countries. Traditionally in the west the maxim is that the car loses 20% of its value when you drive it off the forecourt and then follows a fairly straight-line loss of value up to about 5 years. Here it seems (to me anyway) that the initial loss in value is much lower, particularly for Japanese and German brands, and it starts by following a straight line for about three years and then dips dramatically. There is a much larger market here for "almost new" cars and that might account for why they hold their initial value. I guess the dip is associated with the ending of the warranty period.

thanks very much for your suggsestion.