A VPN for Saudi.

Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A VPN for Saudi.

get a Veeep before you leave. It'll cost you $50 for a year and save you loads of hassle, simple.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
get a Veeep before you leave. It'll cost you $50 for a year and save you loads of hassle, simple.
Thanks, so you don't go down the Bittorrent site idea???
Any particular Veeeeep site you recommend??
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

A completely different alternative which we use successfully in Riyadh is a slingbox.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
A completely different alternative which we use successfully in Riyadh is a slingbox.
Just when you think you have a handle on things.....
OK gottheTshirt, please whats a 'slingbox?'
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

james273 is an unknown quantity at this point

Laminia allows you to use UK, US or canadian IP's for about 8 quid a month. A lot cheaper if you take a longer subscription. Not sure if the website is blocked in Saudi.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
Thanks, so you don't go down the Bittorrent site idea???
Any particular Veeeeep site you recommend??
Different purposes...torrents are good for things not live...veep better for sporting events.

Also, more to the point, it gets you onto sites which would other wise be blocked.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never got the hang of using/downloading torrents, and would consider myself tech-savvy!

I have however, found a decent VPN now though, everytime you log on, it let's you choose which country you want to be based in for that session. Not that I use it for anything than Iplayer, PKR and the occasional ham shank.

What about the slingbox, that's the thing you connect to the back of your sky box in UK, and it let's you watch it on another TV over tinternet? Can you use it to change channel aswell?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I have however, found a decent VPN now though, everytime you log on, it let's you choose which country you want to be based in for that session. Not that I use it for anything than Iplayer, PKR and the occasional ham shank.
I am pleased that you are sorted.... but, any chance of telling who with? please.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I have never got the hang of using/downloading torrents, and would consider myself tech-savvy!
Simples. Get uTorrent (a program (client)). Install.

Go to torrent sites, the famous Swedish site Pirate bay is a good start. Search for whatever you like, make sure that you read comments made and look at how many seeders there are on the file. The higher the better. 0 means, it's dead. Click download, and when prompted, select open with...option and select uTorrent. Click ok and your download starts. And voila, you have downloaded your first torrent...eventually.

Speeds in Bahrain are atrocious..I was getting used to my 1mb/s in the UK as well.

It might be worth 'avin a gander at the different torrent sites, there are quite a few.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
BC ..I think that all the torrent sites will be blocked in Saudi
Err ... No they won't

On the subject of VPN, I've been a happy customer of www.unlock***.com for a while now (the last three letters are vpn). Works like a charm for Saudi. They have servers in US, Europe (both UK and elsewhere), etc.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
Morning all,

5 weeks to go till we arrive in the 'Magic Kingdom' and now starting to take care of 'issues' one such issue to being able to access favorite British TV channels, or to be more exact my two teenage kids favorite British TV channels. On a recent visit to Jeddah I found that I was unable to connect to sites such as BBC iPlayer etc, a friend said that I would need to set up a 'N' could anyone please advise of a good way of 'easily' doing this please. I have a Mac by the way, looking for ease of installation and reliability in use please, any thoughts...
I sorted out a veepee-n here in Saudi so don't panic, if you're using firefox as a browser it is is pretty straightforward and cheap to set up. What's more of an issue for i-player and other streaming sites is the internet speeds you get here although Mobily have got a decent 4g router now that seems to average at least 4mb - not good enough for HD streaming though.
I use torrents more than streaming because the constant buffering was driiving me mad; you'll find some torrent sites are blocked here...if you are going for the torrent option make sure you've got your security set up properly and that you've read up on using torrent and a veepee-n.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

A VPN is useful no matter what, as lots of websites that you might consider innocuous (e.g. blogger.com, or flickr) can be blocked at a moment's notice and the VPN will let you view them anyway.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

I use gate***.com and sorted it out over here. It lets me chose where I want to link via - tend to use the uk, and I can hook up my iplayer, torrents and any other websites I want to use easily.

For using with a Mac, I also had to download something else, but the very helpful chat at gate (based in Dubai) rang me and I got it sorted out over the phone.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get a veepee-en before you leave as you'll be able to watch live bbc, itv etc, or stream programs direct from the iplayer etc (subject to sufficient internet speed) as opposed to having to download whatever you want to watch in advance.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but can anyone with an existing VPN account in the UAE (preferably also using internet through Etisalat) run a speedtest at www.speedtest.net and post the results here? My 16 MB/s Etisalat connection drops to less than 1 MB/s using my current VPN and I'd like to see if this is just me or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.