A VPN for Saudi.

Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough
Default A VPN for Saudi.

Morning all,

5 weeks to go till we arrive in the 'Magic Kingdom' and now starting to take care of 'issues' one such issue to being able to access favorite British TV channels, or to be more exact my two teenage kids favorite British TV channels. On a recent visit to Jeddah I found that I was unable to connect to sites such as BBC iPlayer etc, a friend said that I would need to set up a 'VPN' could anyone please advise of a good way of 'easily' doing this please. I have a Mac by the way, looking for ease of installation and reliability in use please, any thoughts...
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A VPN for Saudi.

Just do a G search and try any that come up on the first page. They are all pretty much of a muchness.

And try not to type v ee p ee e n on the public forum, the Thought Police might take interest
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
try not to type v ee p ee e n on the public forum, the Thought Police might take interest
Understood thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:24 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A *** for Saudi.

strong***.com is a good one, I've used it for several years (replace *** with you know what). The package i have is about sixty bucks per year I think.

The important thing if you want to use BBC iplayer, and the ITV, C4 and C5 equivalents is that you have an IP address based in the UK. The middle east countries do a lot of blocking, but the reason you cannot view BBC iplayer (at least here in Dubai) is not because the govt here blocks it, it is because the BBC blocks users who don't have UK IP addresses, so the rest of world cannot watch it for free.

Strong*** has a choice of servers, include US, UK and some other euro countries - you can choose which one to use when you set it up, or switch servers later if you want to for free.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
strong***.com is a good one, I've used it for several years (replace *** with you know what). The package i have is about sixty bucks per year I think.

The important thing if you want to use BBC iplayer, and the ITV, C4 and C5 equivalents is that you have an IP address based in the UK. The middle east countries do a lot of blocking, but the reason you cannot view BBC iplayer (at least here in Dubai) is not because the govt here blocks it, it is because the BBC blocks users who don't have UK IP addresses, so the rest of world cannot watch it for free.

Strong*** has a choice of servers, include US, UK and some other euro countries - you can choose which one to use when you set it up, or switch servers later if you want to for free.
www.strong***.com is blocked in Dubai!! lol
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use a VPN and download from a torrent site, try that route
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
BC ..I think that all the torrent sites will be blocked in Saudi
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:38 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
www.strong***.com is blocked in Dubai!! lol
The site is blocked by the stasi to stop people signing up because privacy and online freedom is of course unislamic.

But this chap says he's on his way in several weeks. So he needs to sign up and have the details *before* he travels to the middle east. Then he'll be fine.

I am happily using my strong*** right now, the service itself is not blocked. Works a treat.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:47 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I used Bittorrent a lot too. It works for a lot of TV shows but some are hard to find.

With a V** you can not just watch Iplayer and the other UK channels, you can also watch live BBC coverage of all the F1 GPs, with the BBC analysis and commentary. And I watched a load of the worldcup games last year without having to pay for Etisalat's offering, which as it happened crapped out a lot from what I recall.

If using bittorrent though I make sure I turn off the V**. Not because it doesn't work, but because you'll get copyright smackdowns from copyright holders contacting your V** provider. If you're using a UAE IP, you won't, because they know it's a mickey mouse place with no concept of intellectual property and inept network admins who won't even understand what a copyright complaint is.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by captainflack
I used Bittorrent a lot too. It works for a lot of TV shows but some are hard to find.

With a V** you can not just watch Iplayer and the other UK channels, you can also watch live BBC coverage of all the F1 GPs, with the BBC analysis and commentary. And I watched a load of the worldcup games last year without having to pay for Etisalat's offering, which as it happened crapped out a lot from what I recall.

If using bittorrent though I make sure I turn off the V**. Not because it doesn't work, but because you'll get copyright smackdowns from copyright holders contacting your V** provider. If you're using a UAE IP, you won't, because they know it's a mickey mouse place with no concept of intellectual property and inept network admins who won't even understand what a copyright complaint is.
So are we saying that a bittorrent site is preferable to a V--? or that both are needed and if so do I need to download both a V-- and a torrent in the UK prior to leaving?
Also, do we need to download on each pc that we may want to view on?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
So are we saying that a bittorrent site is preferable to a V--? or that both are needed and if so do I need to download both a V-- and a torrent in the UK prior to leaving?
Also, do we need to download on each pc that we may want to view on?

Thanks.
you can download bittorrent ot utorrent here, then you just need to go to whichever site you prefer to d/l the things you want to watch
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

BC ..I think that all the torrent sites will be blocked in Saudi
they aren't I have a friend who is downloading there
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people on this website in other parts of the world are using a small and free programme called Expat Shield.

You can turn it on and off as you wish and it gives you a fake UK address so that you can access the BBC I player and others.

Don't know if any of you lot out there have tried it though and if it works for you.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Plenty of people on this website in other parts of the world are using a small and free programme called Expat Shield.

You can turn it on and off as you wish and it gives you a fake UK address so that you can access the BBC I player and others.

Don't know if any of you lot out there have tried it though and if it works for you.
Hmmmm.... that totally messed up my computer when I downloaded it! I couldn't connect to anything and it put all my torrent downloads on red.
I deleted it and all back to normal :-)
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

you can download bittorrent ot utorrent here, then you just need to go to whichever site you prefer to d/l the things you want to watch
OK, so we are saying that I don't need to bother installing a V-N, I can simply download programs such as i-Player via a bittorrent. Forgive the A-R nature but I really don't want to turn up in Saudi and to then have to tell my kids, no sorry you really can't watch your TV programs after all.....

Thanks.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.