VPN in Doha

Old Apr 21st 2018, 11:12 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default VPN in Doha

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered recently, but I could find no such thread.

My newly-installed NordVPN just cannot connect to any server, at all. Is it just me, or are the Net Police enthusiastically blocking the more popular products? I can't even access Nord's Help page.

Can anyone recommend a reputable, known product, for Windows 10, which currently works in Qatar? Preferably one that can be trialled for free?

Many thanks,
TB
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

SpurInAsia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VPN in Doha

Hi

Not sure if it's still under a try before you buy but Avira Phantom is a good VPN with plenty of choice connections. There is a free one which if I remember is called Wingate but you can never beat a paid for service

Http://www.Avira.com
Old Apr 21st 2018, 2:14 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

From nordvpns support page

Some governments implement nation-wide internet censorship systems. Usually, this is supplemented with VPN service blocks, making it harder for residents/tourists in those counties to bypass the censorship restrictions.

In such countries (i.e. China, the United Arab Emirates and/or Saudi Arabia), NordVPN applications may not work - however, we have several alternative connection methods which you can use to freely and privately surf the net.

On Windows, macOS and Android usually you can easily bypass restrictions by logging into the NordVPN app, going into the advanced settings, and enabling "Obfuscated servers". Then, simply connect to one of the available servers.

On other devices, the most common connection method used is a manual VPN configuration of the OpenVPN connection protocol, or the L2TP protocol with some specific settings - please contact our Support Staff for assistance in connecting from restricted countries.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:53 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input, guys.
No joy yet fiddling with the Nord settings, but will try some more. I'm not considering the Avira yet but will keep it in mind. It seems quite pricey.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Also try on different wifi's and mobile connections. For some reason there is quite a difference to whats blocked on each one.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Hello everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered recently, but I could find no such thread.

My newly-installed NordVPN just cannot connect to any server, at all. Is it just me, or are the Net Police enthusiastically blocking the more popular products? I can't even access Nord's Help page.

Can anyone recommend a reputable, known product, for Windows 10, which currently works in Qatar? Preferably one that can be trialled for free?

Many thanks,
TB
Email their support. They are very responsive and will get it working again quickly, even here

Speaking from personal experience of a friend who uses NordVPN.
Old May 12th 2018, 9:29 am
Just Joined

MichealHeitz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am using ExpressVPN and Hotspot shield....working best yet....
Old May 12th 2018, 1:07 pm
On a grand tour

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I eventually managed to connect to the Nord help crew. They helped me to set up a direct, manual connection (in the Windows settings) to a specific Nord server in Kazakhstan. It works acceptably, other than the fact that I don't have quite the level of anonymity of a 'typical' VPN connection, which bounces around between foreign servers depending on what's fastest at any given time.

If anyone has a better solution for Nord, I'd still like to hear it, but at least I'm up and running!

Last edited by tooboocoo; May 12th 2018 at 1:11 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 17th 2018, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

cookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of light

I have been using witopia which costs about 60usd per year or thereabouts for about 4 years now. It worked fine at the beginning for then I started facing issues in the last year. Two issues mainly: one it would not connect to the vpn using WiFi (using mobile data it would) or even if it connected I could not use it to access BBC/Amazon Prime UK. The webchat heldesk was useless to be honest. Out of sheer frustration I sent an email to them asking to cancel my subscription saying it was not working. They then provided me custom IP addresses for each of BBC and amazon and now it works generally ok with no speed issues.

A few few lessons learnt:
1.internet service providers in the region are usIng multiple ways to stop VPN from working so the generic IP address that the vpn provider gives you does not work.
2.tell the vpn proovider whee you are based and what your primary use of VPN is so that they can set up custom pieces addresses for you
3. Paid vpn is better than free vpn

hope this helps
Old May 17th 2018, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

All this is correct. Furthermore, due to your first "lesson learned", several of the paid ones tend to request users in this part of the world NOT to post their company name too widely on open forums such as this one....
"BTW, we’d recommend probably not sharing these goodies on social media/blogs/forums. Yes, we’re paranoid. But, please DO feel free tell your friends and colleagues in xxx. Just remember our main site is blocked so..."