Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visa to be cancelled, leaving Dubai......

Visa to be cancelled, leaving Dubai......

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:43 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa to be cancelled, leaving Dubai......

Out of pure nosiness and having read some of the posts on here, I asked a friend of mine about this (fairly senior in the banking world). He tells me that there is no link between banks and the DNRD.

Unless a criminal case has been opened, you can leave with debts.

Imagine all those business travellers who fly in and out of Dubai on a daily basis; they all debt free? I think not!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Roadking, I've also asked a friend who has a banking friend in AD to get some information for me. Probably not someone as senior as yours though.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Out of pure nosiness and having read some of the posts on here, I asked a friend of mine about this (fairly senior in the banking world). He tells me that there is no link between banks and the DNRD.

Unless a criminal case has been opened, you can leave with debts.

Imagine all those business travellers who fly in and out of Dubai on a daily basis; they all debt free? I think not!
Dead on, the only way you can be stopped is if the Bank has filed a case and even then the court usually call you to tell you to come to the court, the travel ban is usually in place as soon as the case has been filed.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:49 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Roadking, I've also asked a friend who has a banking friend in AD to get some information for me. Probably not someone as senior as yours though.
Still doesn't mean people can abscond; that's totally different and could/would result in a criminal case being opened.

All depends if you think you will ever come back once departed. Not a nice situation to me in and I wish you all the best of luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosebud
The status check was claimed by my bank clerk, to say that the immigration computers are now linked to the central bank and your name will pop up if you owe money. I am not sure how true it is and could well be a rumour to scare people off. good point I'd buy a retun ticket just incase.
Nonsense - don't worry. They're as incompetent as ever...

Originally Posted by rowell
they couldnt even get the simple ID card systems right and as of yet not introduced chip n pin so they will not have linked the systems to immigration
bingo
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Roadking
Still doesn't mean people can abscond; that's totally different and could/would result in a criminal case being opened.

All depends if you think you will ever come back once departed. Not a nice situation to me in and I wish you all the best of luck!
I understand. If I wished to return I know all I need to do is ensure I have no criminal cases filed and if they are, to resolve them before reentering the country. Thats not usually too difficult unless you murdered someone...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

There are other airports besides Dubai - Sharjah and Abu Dhabi.

I do believe that they are trying to do some sort of data bases to keep us all in line - but this will takes them ages - we had a visit from one bank.

Also I am sure I read somewhere that you could cancel your visa from overseas. - What if you were away on holiday and then decided not to come back for family reasons??
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poitin
Also I am sure I read somewhere that you could cancel your visa from overseas. - What if you were away on holiday and then decided not to come back for family reasons??
You can. I had a colleague do it last year after he lost his passport and went back home without cancelling anything prior to leaving. The company was annoyed but they managed to legally get him cancelled.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the Central Bank does have a database of customers with a poor credit history. The problem is that although banks are supposed to update this system with details of their customers who have defaulted, most simply don't bother (either sheer incompetence or worse, because they're trying to palm off the customer to another equally stupid bank willing to offer him 70x salary).
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I too will let everyone know what happens with me. I have a loan and trying not to let the bank find out that I dont have a job. My visa is not yet cancelled and im planning on leaving the country before they cancel it.
Just be aware that some companies won't pay final dues until the visa is cancelled.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

innocuous is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poitin
There are other airports besides Dubai - Sharjah and Abu Dhabi.

I do believe that they are trying to do some sort of data bases to keep us all in line - but this will takes them ages - we had a visit from one bank.

if you have a travel ban , i would think it applies to all exit points in UAE irrespective of Dubai, Sharjah Abu Dhabi or RAK
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Visa to be cancelled, leaving Dubai......

Originally Posted by IndieG
Nonsense - don't worry. They're as incompetent as ever...

bingo

What do you think if I called the immigration dept and asked them directly, perhaps this would be a test for their competency???? on second thoughts.... this could give them an idea
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant future

It is good to hear his comments too.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annacarna
Dead on, the only way you can be stopped is if the Bank has filed a case and even then the court usually call you to tell you to come to the court, the travel ban is usually in place as soon as the case has been filed.
Dead right, but this is the classical approach in the good old days. But desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rosebud,
Check your karma....

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 24th 2009 at 1:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.