Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

VAT to be introduced in KSA

VAT to be introduced in KSA

Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:35 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT to be introduced in KSA

Originally Posted by Meow
VAT for the UAE has been confirmed as January 2018 but I am not convinced that it will actually start them as I am hearing that little is in place and it's complicated to administer. We shall see.
Not to mention that a January launch will bugger things up for the DSF, which I believe is still a big deal to the local economy...
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

My, really? Fancy that

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
for the DSF, which I believe is still a big deal to the local economy...
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:52 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Anyone know anything more concrete on the VAT and how it will be applied, especially in terms of small businesses?

I'm used to dealing with VAT in the UK which involved submitting accounts and VAT forms with allowances for VAT deductions on costs etc. Balance to be paid with accounts quarterly.

However I am hearing that for any company with a yearly turnover of only US$100,000 per annum they will be charged a flat rate of 5% on turnover.

So immediate questions are:-

Is this 5% to be paid up front (i.e. before you can actually apply the 5% rate on sales) (this in effect be a 5% tax on the company before they apply the VAT on future sales - which sucks).

If the 5% is paid upfront per annum - can deductions on VAT paid be applied?

Will it also therefore be a requirement for yearly accounts (perhaps even audited) to be submitted to a tax authority?

If so then the addition in costs to small businesses is significant with increased direct up front tax cost and also increased accounting costs and time.

I guess no one knows yet, but there needs to be answers, guidelines and clarity on this otherwise SMEs are going to suffer come Jan 2018...
As far as I am aware none of this has been confirmed yet. Sounds like a logistical nightmare already and there is not a long lead in time really.

The thread was about KSA but has become about the GCC generally.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:35 am
Just Joined

abdulwahab2 is an unknown quantity at this point

As world is slowly moving towards other energies Saudi is to introduce new measures to boost his economy
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think the whole process KSA is implementing is the start of a slippery slope.

Soon, we will see other 'taxes' introduced - expat's will pay a monthly fee for all their dependents in the country. This monthly amount will increase over the future years, making it costly for these expats to have their families here with them. I suggest that many expat's ( eastern ) will send their families home to avoid paying this tax. This means that the local economy will suffer as there is less expat money being spent within local communities and expats will send and even bigger portion of their salaries back home.

In trying to generate more income, I think it will actually have the opposite effect.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abdulwahab2
As world is slowly moving towards other energies Saudi is to introduce new measures to boost his economy
Hard work is often a good policy.