Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:13 am   #1
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default VAT Help

Hi Folks, i was wondering if anyone could please recommend a company/agent who i could engage to help us set up for VAT.
I approached our auditors KPMG, and they came back with a proposal with a fee of frigging $57k!
We are a small company in Dubai (annual turnover £7m) and our operations are fairly straight forward and so this fee just seems way over the top (the proposal seems to be geared up for a much bigger and complex organisation).
I don't need anyone to assist me in setting up for the actual calculation of the VAT, since I can manage this myself using our own in-house finance software. What I need help/advise/guidance on is getting the company registered for VAT and working out which of our services and goods were will be subject to VAT, zero rated, exempt etc.
If anyone could recommend someone/a company, then i would be very grateful. Thanks.
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:09 am   #2
Mogs Male
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 585
Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: VAT Help

I got an invite to the following in a couple of weeks - not sure how much to attend, but considerably less than $57k. Contact details are at the end


With the VAT forum fast approaching, I wanted to make sure you are aware of some of the key sessions that will be covered over the course of 2 days (Meydan Hotel, Dubai, UAE). These will be presented by tax experts from the Big 4 plus other finance experts in the region.

DAY ONE: 11 SEPTEMBER 2017

VAT framework, law overview, planning and preparation
VAT framework and law overview: Introducing VAT in the GCC
Planning and preparation: The ultimate VAT business checklist
The CFO perspective: Learning from the region

Key VAT business impacts: Identifying risks and challenges
Covering all bases: Managing internal and external communications
Cash flow management in focus: Protecting your finances
Avoiding complexities: Understanding intra-GCC and cross-border transactions under VAT
Sales and marketing: Managing demand of goods and services
Beyond VAT implementation: Avoiding costly penalties
Post-implementation: How to avoid pitfalls?
Lessons learnt from around the globe: Mitigating risks and preventing penalties
ERP or Engine? Understand your options for the fastest and most impactful solution for VAT in the GCC
GCC VAT Q&A: Your questions answered
One-to-one VAT advisory sessions: Gain access to private one-to-one consultation sessions allowing you to benefit from first-hand insight from the Big 4.
DAY TWO: 12 SEPTEMBER 2017
Managing your system impacts to achieve compliance
Sector-specific VAT streams so you get the information most relevant to you.
VAT in development and construction
VAT in financial services and banking
VAT in oil and gas
VAT in retail, hospitality, travel and tourism
Download the agenda to find out more details!

We’ve had huge interest in this event and expect seats to sell out fast. If you think you might benefit, then you’ll want to secure your seat at our early bird rate today!

Hurry! View the pricing and register online before 3 August to save up to US$100. (Please have your credit card ready while making the payment online)

We look forward to meeting you at the event.

Kind regards,
Joanne Mount
Conference Director - IQPC Middle East
Tel: +971 4 364 2975
Email: [email protected]

P.S. Want to see which companies attended our previous VAT forums? Download the attendee list now>>
Mogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:28 pm   #3
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 19,318
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Mission, there is a website dedicated to it that someone shared.

This has some info but isn't the one I saw before; VAT
There's a special bit for businesses too.

Remember - the government want your VAT revenue, they'll have ways of helping you to make sure they get it.
__________________
"When you ain't got no money, you gotta get an attitude" - Richard Pryor.
Scamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:20 pm   #4
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 919
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

I believe there are a couple of Nigerians willing to help, they have some blank forms that when you pour the magic liquid on them shazam completed VAT forms!!!!
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:56 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,833
jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Price x 1.05 = Price inc VAT.

$56 K please.

:-)
jam25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:46 am   #6
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
I got an invite to the following in a couple of weeks - not sure how much to attend, but considerably less than $57k. Contact details are at the end


With the VAT forum fast approaching, I wanted to make sure you are aware of some of the key sessions that will be covered over the course of 2 days (Meydan Hotel, Dubai, UAE). These will be presented by tax experts from the Big 4 plus other finance experts in the region.

DAY ONE: 11 SEPTEMBER 2017

VAT framework, law overview, planning and preparation
VAT framework and law overview: Introducing VAT in the GCC
Planning and preparation: The ultimate VAT business checklist
The CFO perspective: Learning from the region

Key VAT business impacts: Identifying risks and challenges
Covering all bases: Managing internal and external communications
Cash flow management in focus: Protecting your finances
Avoiding complexities: Understanding intra-GCC and cross-border transactions under VAT
Sales and marketing: Managing demand of goods and services
Beyond VAT implementation: Avoiding costly penalties
Post-implementation: How to avoid pitfalls?
Lessons learnt from around the globe: Mitigating risks and preventing penalties
ERP or Engine? Understand your options for the fastest and most impactful solution for VAT in the GCC
GCC VAT Q&A: Your questions answered
One-to-one VAT advisory sessions: Gain access to private one-to-one consultation sessions allowing you to benefit from first-hand insight from the Big 4.
DAY TWO: 12 SEPTEMBER 2017
Managing your system impacts to achieve compliance
Sector-specific VAT streams so you get the information most relevant to you.
VAT in development and construction
VAT in financial services and banking
VAT in oil and gas
VAT in retail, hospitality, travel and tourism
Download the agenda to find out more details!

We’ve had huge interest in this event and expect seats to sell out fast. If you think you might benefit, then you’ll want to secure your seat at our early bird rate today!

Hurry! View the pricing and register online before 3 August to save up to US$100. (Please have your credit card ready while making the payment online)

We look forward to meeting you at the event.

Kind regards,
Joanne Mount
Conference Director - IQPC Middle East
Tel: +971 4 364 2975
Email: [email protected]

P.S. Want to see which companies attended our previous VAT forums? Download the attendee list now>>
Thanks MOGS,
unfortunately 11/09 coincides with my Aug month end reporting deadlines and hence not possible to attend


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Mission, there is a website dedicated to it that someone shared.

This has some info but isn't the one I saw before; VAT
There's a special bit for businesses too.

Remember - the government want your VAT revenue, they'll have ways of helping you to make sure they get it.
Thanks SCAMP, will check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
I believe there are a couple of Nigerians willing to help, they have some blank forms that when you pour the magic liquid on them shazam completed VAT forms!!!!
Always helpful as ever - NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Price x 1.05 = Price inc VAT.

$56 K please.

:-)
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 1:44 pm   #7
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 919
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Wilson View Post
Hi Mission

I would be happy to help. Message me your contact details and I will gladly help.

Luke
Whey hey you`ve pulled
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:40 am   #8
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
Whey hey you`ve pulled
looks like i still got it
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:48 am   #9
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 919
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission View Post
looks like i still got it
Whoooo Hooooo

Shame he has been deleted, could have been the love story of your life...long romantic walks in your PJ`s chatting into the night about VAT........
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:15 pm   #10
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiexile View Post
Whoooo Hooooo

Shame he has been deleted, could have been the love story of your life...long romantic walks in your PJ`s chatting into the night about VAT........
plonker
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:40 pm   #11
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

has anyone either registered their company or had their company registered for VAT yet?
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:55 pm   #12
Scamp Male
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 19,318
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Said the financial controller, with a hint of panic.
__________________
"When you ain't got no money, you gotta get an attitude" - Richard Pryor.
Scamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:35 pm   #13
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,653
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Said the financial controller, with a hint of panic.
i know yaar...i can't find an effing credible link to register!
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:56 pm   #15
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 919
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VAT Help

Last one I think might be the one you are looking for
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:21 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com