Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Vacation to Bahrain

Vacation to Bahrain

Old May 20th 2010, 7:30 pm
Banned

...- - -... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacation to Bahrain

Hi friends. My brother is getting married to a pretty little Arab girl in Bahrain in late June so me and my wife are taking a three week trip there. We are spending the first two weeks at the Banyan Tree Desert Spa & Resort Manama, and after the wedding I want to stay by the water at the Somerset Al Fateh Hotel for a week. I've been goggling Bahrain and I cannot find anything to do there other than visiting forts (?) museums (oh boy!) and malls (who cares?). Is there anything to do there? I bring this up to my brother and he says there's plenty to do, but he can't come up with specific examples and he quickly changes the subject. He's been pestering me to come out and visit him and I think it's because he's bored to death. My wife wants to pop in there for a few days and then go on to Hong Kong, Australia, Tonga or anywhere but the Middle East. I really can't come up with a solid argument against it other than I have to spend a little time with my brother. She says she doesn't want to spend more than a few days in that "god forsaken shithole"

Help
Old May 20th 2010, 7:37 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation to Bahrain

Originally Posted by ...- - -...
Hi friends. My brother is getting married to a pretty little Arab girl in Bahrain in late June so me and my wife are taking a three week trip there. We are spending the first two weeks at the Banyan Tree Desert Spa & Resort Manama, and after the wedding I want to stay by the water at the Somerset Al Fateh Hotel for a week. I've been goggling Bahrain and I cannot find anything to do there other than visiting forts (?) museums (oh boy!) and malls (who cares?). Is there anything to do there? I bring this up to my brother and he says there's plenty to do, but he can't come up with specific examples and he quickly changes the subject. He's been pestering me to come out and visit him and I think it's because he's bored to death. My wife wants to pop in there for a few days and then go on to Hong Kong, Australia, Tonga or anywhere but the Middle East. I really can't come up with a solid argument against it other than I have to spend a little time with my brother. She says she doesn't want to spend more than a few days in that "god forsaken shithole"

Help
sometimes you have to listen to your wife.... anyway, having SOS for a name is a dead giveaway....
Old May 20th 2010, 7:44 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious Gingerbreadman
Old May 20th 2010, 8:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Sometimes you have to listen to your wife..
Thanks
Old May 20th 2010, 9:12 pm
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi friends. My brother is getting married to a pretty little Arab girl in Bahrain in late June so me and my wife are taking a three week trip there.................
Help
Well, it is very hard to tell you about Bahrain without knowing your interests. I mean what would you like to do in your brief stay at Bahrain? Boating, Clubbing, Exhibitions, Malls, Cinemas, Museum etc are all there. You will find that Bahrain is a small colorful Island, but again it is a desert so no natural greenery, no hills, few main roads and that is it. You can visit the Bahrain Causeway that has been built over the sea to connect it with Saudi Arabia.
In the end, the question remains the same, what would you like to do and what do you expect to experience in Bahrain during your short trip.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by shikra
Well, it is very hard to tell you about Bahrain without knowing your interests.
I like skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, karaoke, bike riding, brew pubbing, chess, competitive eating, caving, gambling, tv, listening to radio, shell collecting, bird watching, reading, woodworking, and long moonlit walks on the beach.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Help
If you can afford to spend TWO WEEKS at the Banyan Tree (now renamed Al Areen after a dispute over the management contract), you can afford to go anywhere after that............ but I've never heard of that Somerset jobby, I'm afraid, so I can't help you there.

Be warned though............... women like the Banyan Tree - the private villa with its own jacuzzi, swimming pool, and that outdoor shower never fails to... er.... impress the ladies.............. I predict you'll stay for three weeks there, and to hell with the Somerset.............
Old May 21st 2010, 7:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

It's already climbing towards the low 40 deg C's so I suggest you rule out any outside activities.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you can afford to spend TWO WEEKS at the Banyan Tree (now renamed Al Areen after a dispute over the management contract), you can afford to go anywhere after that............ but I've never heard of that Somerset jobby, I'm afraid, so I can't help you there.

....... I predict you'll stay for three weeks there, and to hell with the Somerset.............
Good prediction. I just read some Trip Advisor reviews on the Somerset. Scratched it off the itinerary, thanks.
Old May 21st 2010, 3:00 pm
Banned

Furthermore, we don't get involved in organized tours of any kind. Wherever we travel to we rent a car, get a map and do everything on our own. We want to break bread with the natives and immerse ourselves in the culture. Although we like 5 star restaurants we'd rather eat in hole in the wall places where the locals eat. Any suggestions?
Old May 21st 2010, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
It's already climbing towards the low 40 deg C's so I suggest you rule out any outside activities.
why? We go out and about all year.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
why? We go out and about all year.
Yes we can tell....
Cerebral fried one dimensional numbercruncher
Apart from that you are quite amusing.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Yes we can tell....
Cerebral fried one dimensional numbercruncher
Apart from that you are quite amusing.
Wow a compliment... If you ever need your kettleballs polishing just let me know.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:11 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Wow a compliment... If you ever need your kettleballs polishing just let me know.
Sweet but I got a man to do that
xxx
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Furthermore, we don't get involved in organized tours of any kind. Wherever we travel to we rent a car, get a map and do everything on our own. We want to break bread with the natives and immerse ourselves in the culture. Although we like 5 star restaurants we'd rather eat in hole in the wall places where the locals eat. Any suggestions?
Although you are more likely to meet a local in Bahrain than say the UAE or Qatar, expatriates of all nationalities tend to dominate.

If tensions are not too high, your best bet are the Shia districts to the south of the Souq in central Manama (Bab Al Bahrain). Look for the black and green flags and the banners. Dress modestly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.