Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

From the UK to Muscat. Help please

From the UK to Muscat. Help please

Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:12 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the UK to Muscat. Help please

Mentalist is correct in that if wife has a UK passport (or a passport from any of the countries whose nationals are able to get a visa on arrival) she will be able to come and go at will/as often as you can afford. Bear in mind that, until such time as she is granted residence visa, she will have to leave the country and re-enter in accordance with the visa rules (after 30 days I believe, or you can extend it for a further 30 days at extra cost at the airport but this can only be done once), paying for a new tourist visa each time. If she is going to join you long-term then she should apply for a multiple entry residence visa as OS mentions.

If wife is not eligible for a visa on arrival then she would have to apply for a new visitor/tourist visa each time she wished to re-enter Oman. Again, if she is to join you long-term ensure that her residence visa entitles her to multiple entry.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 9:41 am
P/T Expat

rugbymummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Dolphin village is about 20 mins out. is good for facilities like pool, club etc but it depends if you like close contact living similar to holiday complex style - not for everyone (including us!) but not knocking it for those that do. If you google estate agents Muscat it will bring them all up - Savills, Cluttons, Better Homes etc. Ring them when you arrive, tell them what you want and where, be specific - half of what is on their websites will not be available and some will try and show you anything to get rid of it. Negotiate price, some are 12 months upfront, some not but if you can afford upfront/company are paying you are better placed to negotiate.
We use AXA insurance (and did so in AUH too) and have always found them ok although it's only house contents as vehicle is company funded. Taxi's are not cheap so it's likely you will need a car unless you are able to find somewhere next to a shopping mall and a very, very short walk from work, especially in hotter months!
For tax see HMRC website and also tell them you are leaving the UK. Some rules regarding status have changed now and it depends on a checklist (on HMRC site) regarding factors such as spouse still being in UK, ties to UK etc.
If spouse has a British passport (or from a country with an agreement) she will have no problems coming in and out under current rules, I do it all the time. If you also get a residents visa for spouse it is quicker and provided she is not out of the country for more than 6 months it stays valid, mine also means that I am covered by company medical insurance when in Oman so perhaps check that with your employer? Residency visa's can be quick or take ages depending really on your employer, we have a good local 'Mr Fixit' who gets things done but I know of others who have had to have multiple blood tests, hoops to go through etc to get theirs.
Banks are generally rubbish for customer service, some more so than others so don't have high expectations of any of them! We are currently swapping back to HSBC from Nat. Bank of Oman who have been pretty useless and it would take too long to go into problems here, (we were with HSBC in AUH and they were ok but due to employing company here not having a link with them we couldn't use them, that has now been sorted) but it is not a fast process - a bit like UK in 70s probably!
If your employer is giving you a furniture allowance (or even if you have to buy it yourself) it is easy to find reasonable, western style furniture here in shops like Homes R Us in Grand Mall and if it needs assembly the workmen will do that when they deliver.
Hope this answers some of your questions, although it will probably prompt others!

Last edited by rugbymummy; Dec 24th 2014 at 9:43 am.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Ronaldo7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rugbymummy

Crikey - that is incredibly helpful, so thanks for your time on that.

I will re read, digest, plan and action and give you a shout if I need any more help. Think you've covered everything!

Thanks
R