British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK to Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-abu-dhabi-907206/)

Dazza1975 Dec 26th 2017 3:34 pm

UK to Abu Dhabi

Hi all,

Same as a lot of posts but need some urgent advice. I am uk and married with 3yr old daughter. Have been offered a job with MAF in AD at 26'700AED. We have support for schooling and an extra 45k in housing that is free plus the standard 20k relocation payment. Unlimited contract with 30days notice both ways.

Now I lived in Dubai with wife before, and lived off 28k but paid out a lot more than we would in AD.

Is this offer worth it? Or should I forget it or ask for a bit more? They said final offer but who knows???

U.K. Expats with kids advice would be great!

Thanks

UKMS Dec 26th 2017 8:43 pm

Re: UK to Abu Dhabi

As always depends on what your job is as to whether it’s worth it ? What is the level of support for schooling ? My other observation would be that 45k housing isn’t going to get you much for a family. That said if you’ve lived/worked in Dubai you must already have a good idea of whether it’s good for your role ?

Originally Posted by Dazza1975 (Post 12405359)
Hi all,

Same as a lot of posts but need some urgent advice. I am uk and married with 3yr old daughter. Have been offered a job with MAF in AD at 26'700AED. We have support for schooling and an extra 45k in housing that is free plus the standard 20k relocation payment. Unlimited contract with 30days notice both ways.

Now I lived in Dubai with wife before, and lived off 28k but paid out a lot more than we would in AD.

Is this offer worth it? Or should I forget it or ask for a bit more? They said final offer but who knows???

U.K. Expats with kids advice would be great!

Thanks

Dazza1975 Dec 27th 2017 2:17 pm

Hi UKMS

ok so the company provide Upto £13k is school support per child, and will pay fully for housing worth 144AED per year, however only take back 8'400aed per month so just over 100k to pay back. Job wise it would of course be a step up from the UK and from my last role in the UAE. Just not sure as I'm seeing and hearing a lot about living costs going up and of course VAT plus uk Mortgage is far lower than the UAE rental costs.

UKMS Dec 27th 2017 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dazza1975 (Post 12405672)
Hi UKMS

ok so the company provide Upto £13k is school support per child, and will pay fully for housing worth 144AED per year, however only take back 8'400aed per month so just over 100k to pay back. Job wise it would of course be a step up from the UK and from my last role in the UAE. Just not sure as I'm seeing and hearing a lot about living costs going up and of course VAT plus uk Mortgage is far lower than the UAE rental costs.

Am I correct in saying that your monthly drops to 18,300 aed once you pay back the housing advance per month ? If that’s the case then by the time you pay utility bills, food, TV/Internet, mobile, car/transport, pension, top up your NI if that concerns you, any commitment in the UK and a bit saved as a contingency it doesn’t really leave a lot. I live in Dubai, my daughter lives in AD and from what I see cost of living is not significantly different (others may disagree). As always it really comes down to lifestyle, expectations and what your aims are. Many would die to earn 18k, many would stay in the UK.