Reload this Page >

UAE estate agent recommends

UAE estate agent recommends

Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Atcguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UAE estate agent recommends

Hello all,
I move out to the UAE in a few weeks and am looking for some accommodation hints and tips. I hear lots of horror stories about viewings and landlords so I would like to hear some good news and I will contact those 'Brit approved' agents for viewings! I hope this is allowed!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE estate agent recommends

I wouldn't limit yourself to a particular agent. just check the regular websites and expect to have different agents offering to show you the same property.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atcguy
Hello all,
I move out to the UAE in a few weeks and am looking for some accommodation hints and tips. I hear lots of horror stories about viewings and landlords so I would like to hear some good news and I will contact those 'Brit approved' agents for viewings! I hope this is allowed!
where are you moving to?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I wouldn't limit yourself to a particular agent. just check the regular websites and expect to have different agents offering to show you the same property.
I don't really agree with that...when an agent knows a client will only use you, you are far more motivated than when you know the client is shopping around with lots of agents. Specially as we are all trying to rent out those same few properties. Chances are you are spending time working on arranging viewings, and when you have done all that, the client will tell you oh, I have already seen that with so and so...
When I know a client is shopping around, I will only show direct properties if I have any, and otherwise I am not even going to bother as the probability of doing a deal is too small.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sorry but that kind of perfectly sums up the attitude of so many agents here.

Originally Posted by MataHari
I don't really agree with that...when an agent knows a client will only use you, you are far more motivated than when you know the client is shopping around with lots of agents.
Why on earth would the customer limit themselves to only one agent who will only be able to show them a percentage of the available properties, and who will have absolutely no loyalty to them? Agents main priority is to maximise their own income by getting as much for a property as is possible (at the expense of the customer) with as little effort as is possible.

Specially as we are all trying to rent out those same few properties.
Really? There are literally tens of thousands of empty apartments and villas in Dubai at present

Chances are you are spending time working on arranging viewings, and when you have done all that, the client will tell you oh, I have already seen that with so and so...
Isn’t arranging viewings the crux of an agents job, and if they are more open and communicative with the customer then taking them to things they’ve already seen wouldn’t happen.

When I know a client is shopping around, I will only show direct properties if I have any, and otherwise I am not even going to bother as the probability of doing a deal is too small.
Customer service at its finest. Agents must be making too much money at the moment if they can afford to turn away potential business so frivolously.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Totally agree. Also, when arranging viewings with an agent get very specific details about which apartments they are taking you too see and what the prices are before you go and see any. This will hopefully avoid going to see things you've seen already, things you have zero interest in, or things which are now miraculously 10k more expensive than they were in the ad you responded to.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
I’m sorry but that kind of perfectly sums up the attitude of so many agents here.

Why on earth would the customer limit themselves to only one agent who will only be able to show them a percentage of the available properties, and who will have absolutely no loyalty to them? Agents main priority is to maximise their own income by getting as much for a property as is possible (at the expense of the customer) with as little effort as is possible.

Because all agents show the same properties. Contacting 10 agents isn't going to get you 10 times the amount of viewings, it will just mean that you see the same with everyone, meaning 9 have been preparing for nothing. I despair working with landlords who do not want to negotiate on the price. Do you really think I prefer no deal to a deal with 5000 or 10,0000 less???? Why would I want that? I have a landlord now with a property for 120,000. I have a client who wants to offer 110,000. I called him just now, and he said no. This property has been on the market for weeks, it has a shite view, no one wants it. I told him accept the offer, he said no, he's not in a hurry. So really, where do you get this idea that its the agents who determine the rent?

Really? There are literally tens of thousands of empty apartments and villas in Dubai at present

Really? Really not. In the popular areas there is hardly anything decent around. Find me a villa in VH with a pool. Go on. I can tell you there is 1 on the market and it's shite. Find me a nice 2 bed in JLT near the metro, for 110,000/115,000. Please, I can rent it out tomorrow. I would say about 90 percent of what is on the internet isn't actually available. Get me a nice upgraded Meadows villa with a pool. Sure, if you go to Remraam or JVC or the Villa, then there is availability, but that's not where people want to be.

Isn’t arranging viewings the crux of an agents job, and if they are more open and communicative with the customer then taking them to things they’ve already seen wouldn’t happen.

Yes, viewing and arranging viewings, giving information etc is what I do. But you know what, clients have no idea what they have already seen, the may vaguely know the building name, but the don't have any idea what unit they saw. So it's not always easy to avoid showing them things they haven't seen before. Which is another reason why working with a client who is shopping around is a total pain. I have landlords telling me oh you are the 6th agent calling for this client....so that means 5 have spent time for nothing.

Customer service at its finest. Agents must be making too much money at the moment if they can afford to turn away potential business so frivolously.
We get 5% commission, of which half goes to the company. If you have the property through another agent, you again split half. So we are not talking massive amounts of money, specially if you do apartment rentals. Most will only get commission, no petrol, no phone bills paid. The difference in my commission on say a 1 bed apartment, if I rent it for 100,000 I get 2,500, if I rent it for 105,000 I get 2,625 dhs. Do you really think I don't want to negotiate on behalf of my client to get the price down with 5000? Because of that 125 dhs difference in commission? You got to be kidding, I much rather have commission over 100,000 than no commission at all.

You really have no idea what it all involves. Clients aren't always upfront either. Most of them will say that they are ready to move. I always double check, do they have the residency visa, bank account, cheque book, funds, and many many times, when you have spend lots of time doing viewings (and all the time spent on arranging it, we really don't all walk around with keys of every property, and cause everyone is working on the same units, it takes endless calls to find out if it is actually still available), then they tell you oh ok but I don't actually have all my paperwork, or they don't have the funds ready or whatever, loads of excuses, and you never see them again.
I am very loyal to my clients, I will work hard for them, but I expect the same from them.

Last edited by MataHari; Jul 8th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:06 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Totally agree. Also, when arranging viewings with an agent get very specific details about which apartments they are taking you too see and what the prices are before you go and see any. This will hopefully avoid going to see things you've seen already, things you have zero interest in, or things which are now miraculously 10k more expensive than they were in the ad you responded to.
again, this works both ways....I always ask what do you want, and still it happens during viewings that they suddenly dont want to be above the 5th floor, that they have a dog so is that allowed, that they only want SE facing living area or god knows what else that is really specific and they failed to mention that beforehand.

With regard to getting very specific details...we have to rely on the info the landlord or the other agent gives. We won't know if it's accurate until we have actually seen the property, and often we see it for the first time with a client. And yes, if you tilt you head at a certain angle whilst standing on a chair, there is seaview...or the storage cupboard with no windows can fit a bed but it's not actually a bedroom...these things happen and there is no way we can know beforehand. With the high turnover of properties, it's impossible to visit every new unit that comes on the market. If you work long enough in a certain area you will learn which unit have seaview, which ones are next to construction etc, but there will still be surprises when you do viewings.

I never ever show above budget, what's the point in that. But it does happen a lot that clients will start really low, you show them loads, they don't want any and then as by magic they can suddenly up their budget and you can start all over again.

And there are landlords, that as soon as they know they get a lot of viewings, will up the price, which makes the agent look really really bad, and it's a pain in the ass, but it's got nothing to do with me being a bad agent.

Oh and it also happens on here, people pm me, I give them detailed info with regard to the whole process and any questions they have, and I never hear back from them again, often not even a thank you...

Last edited by MataHari; Jul 8th 2014 at 2:40 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Expatfo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommend me a property agent?

For property in Abu Dhabi to rent preferably from uk please
Old Aug 12th 2014, 5:14 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really agree with that...when an agent knows a client will only use you, you are far more motivated than when you know the client is shopping around with lots of agents. Specially as we are all trying to rent out those same few properties. Chances are you are spending time working on arranging viewings, and when you have done all that, the client will tell you oh, I have already seen that with so and so...
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Expatfo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi it was a villa I'm looking for in al reef
Thanks for all the help