Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tips for a weekend escape to Bahrain (from Riyadh)

Tips for a weekend escape to Bahrain (from Riyadh)

Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for a weekend escape to Bahrain (from Riyadh)

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Jolly good, have a good weekend and dont book into some shithole when the Diplomat is only 49

If you manage to slip into the Warbler as well then an update would be welcomed if only for old times sake but dont let that interupt your trip to Diggers

Come Weds night and put up with the delays at the causeway for a few hours, plenty of fun to be had later on at night so a few hours wont make any difference. If you arrive early Thurs then the flippers will be scraping out last nights Arab muck so the place will be deserted and thats just wasted time

Have fun
I have recent Warbler exposure (and Jonathan 'Henry' Peevers doesn't go there any more which is a shame).

Yes they've done it up completely (about 18 months ago now) and it's a decent boozer, with good-but-not-as-good-as-it-used-to-be food. A few girls get in, and the management don't seem to mind. The hotel upstairs (Baisan?) used to be about BHD 25 inc an OK breakfast - can't imagine it would be any more now. The "Health Spa" on the 3rd floor closed down a while back though, which is.... er...... unfortunate...........

Radisson Dip rooms at BHD 50? Ridiculous - if that's true, don't stay anywhere else. Good rooms, plus the best breakfast buffet on the island (full English done properly).
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:59 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Dean
I have recent Warbler exposure (and Jonathan 'Henry' Peevers doesn't go there any more which is a shame).

Yes they've done it up completely (about 18 months ago now) and it's a decent boozer, with good-but-not-as-good-as-it-used-to-be food. A few girls get in, and the management don't seem to mind. The hotel upstairs (Baisan?) used to be about BHD 25 inc an OK breakfast - can't imagine it would be any more now. The "Health Spa" on the 3rd floor closed down a while back though, which is.... er...... unfortunate...........

Radisson Dip rooms at BHD 50? Ridiculous - if that's true, don't stay anywhere else. Good rooms, plus the best breakfast buffet on the island (full English done properly).
Warbler a bit "cheesy" now I would say.Need to get rid of the pirate statues. I miss the old "raw" feel of the place. But yes, still a nice boozer..and being the wife is away I will go back tonight and re-evaluate and report back..Only for our friends sake who is coming from Saudi...

Last edited by heartofdarkness; Jul 8th 2011 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:22 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao, for a man who only goes out once every 3 months you have these timings very precise.....

Diplomat is definitiely doing rooms at 49 bhd a night so hope he didnt end up in some shithole round the back of the Bab for 40 lol

Lets see if he comes back with an update for the other readers on current costs for debauchery in the Kingdom. I am sure with the current downtown, there must have been a realignment of prices
Timing is everything mate..
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Hit up Maguires. A quiet little boozer with lovely staff, a few pool tables and some food and stuff. From here, I'd recomend going down to Diggers. Seriously. Great nightss to be had..
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Thanks for the updates Mr Dean and others. There is a bloody great big sign on the road in after the causeway saying 49 BD a night during the summer so yes I agree its a steal as the rooms are fine. Warbler used to do great steaks cheap so shame the food has gone off a bit
Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

knickerdropofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Book in to the Gulf, on arrival have a pint of Guinness and a bacon sandwich... Then spend the afternoon in their garden using the swim up bar.. Have a nice evening nap. Then strole across the road to Rik's country kitchen, for an eat as much as you want bbq with the best pork ribs around.. Top it off with a night of closed eye dancing with the filipino trannies In F1....
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

El-Aurens is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally managed to do the Bahrain trip 2 nights Thurs and Fri– did all of Juffair and Diplomatic area. Avoided anywhere else due to rumours of protests plus bad traffic.

Diggers was ok-ish – heavy metal Filipino cover band and fairly dark and dingy. Delmon had other options including Russian bar/ Indian bar/ nightclub. Tried all. Memory a bit rough on the details though spent more money than I should on garlands and sweet fizzy wine for the Bealrusians in the Russian bar.

Ramee Hotels seemed to be the happening places & came recommended by taxi drivers/ people we met. Each has 5-6 bars all on pretty much copy cat formats – Irish/ Wild west/ Russian/ Nightclub/ Arabic etc. Rock Bottom/ Rocky’s at Ramee International was the best of the lot. Best Western Juffair had a couple of ok options

In terms of girls out, Thais, Chinese and Filipinos. But bars not swamped with them as in UAE.

US Aircraft Carrier in town so bars quite busy with ratings on shore leave unable to take their booze.

Diplomat hotel has decent pool and pool bar. Great place to spend the afternoon. Tried Coral Beach Club –this is blatantly a gay cruising area so didn’t stay long

Causeway traffic not too bad but the Dammam-Riyadh road is heavy traffic all the way with non-stop stream of aggressive dangerous driving on the shoulder lane, and not to be attempted again when feeling fragile.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El-Aurens
In terms of girls out, Thais, Chinese and Filipinos. But bars not swamped with them as in UAE.
I've been saying for a while, well at least for a week anyway, that Bahrain has gone to the dogs. A night out in Manama and not swamped by whores !! May as well close the door and switch the lights off now. Its game over

Unless they were jerking off all the ****wit spams on their run ashore and so confined to the gates of the naval base
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

[QUOTE=El-Aurens;9640935]. Tried Coral Beach Club –this is blatantly a gay cruising area so didn’t stay long

Please do not tell me that I have been a member for 6 /7 months and it has never entered my head that it is a batty boys club!!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=markinbahrain;9641413]
Originally Posted by El-Aurens
. Tried Coral Beach Club –this is blatantly a gay cruising area so didn’t stay long

Please do not tell me that I have been a member for 6 /7 months and it has never entered my head that it is a batty boys club!!
hahaha..i know loads of people who go there regularly and i've never heard anyone say anything of the sort. now i'm going to ask them though, but to be honest i reckon it might just be a case of El-Aurens reading too much into the situation..

still funny though..
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

[QUOTE=norsk;9641450]
Originally Posted by markinbahrain

hahaha..i know loads of people who go there regularly and i've never heard anyone say anything of the sort. now i'm going to ask them though, but to be honest i reckon it might just be a case of El-Aurens reading too much into the situation..

still funny though..
Norsk!! You dirty dog, going off and doing a runner on us, how are you mate, are you settling in well with the family??

Coral beach Club is alright I thought, although my son scratched one of their jet ski's with his friend and I had to give them 100 BD for him to get his CPR back....but whatever, 15 metres of sand on a beach is worth it if you can get a beer and sit in the pool with it......!!! just a bit envious of you though!!
Norsk, you done the right thing mate, good on you !!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:36 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by markinbahrain

Norsk!! You dirty dog, going off and doing a runner on us, how are you mate, are you settling in well with the family??

Coral beach Club is alright I thought, although my son scratched one of their jet ski's with his friend and I had to give them 100 BD for him to get his CPR back....but whatever, 15 metres of sand on a beach is worth it if you can get a beer and sit in the pool with it......!!! just a bit envious of you though!!
Norsk, you done the right thing mate, good on you !!
Settling in fine. Son is in school, waiting to move into my new place and job is good. Best of all, I haven't seen any tanks, machine gun posts or soldiers since I got here..

By the way my new place has a pool and a private beach with a licensed bar....
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by norsk
Settling in fine. Son is in school, waiting to move into my new place and job is good. Best of all, I haven't seen any tanks, machine gun posts or soldiers since I got here..

By the way my new place has a pool and a private beach with a licensed bar....
How do you sleep at night without the bang of gas cylinder blasts to drift you off ?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:00 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

How do you sleep at night without the bang of gas cylinder blasts to drift you off ?
like a baby....
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norsk by the way my new place has a pool and a private beach with a licensed bar....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Norsk, I can imagine you sitting on the beach on a Saturday afternoon eating your brown cheese and frozen pizza

Last edited by markinbahrain; Sep 27th 2011 at 5:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.