Tipping in Dubai.

Old May 12th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping in Dubai.

Last year during Ramadan both Dubai Mall and Mall of Emirates had large food courts open during the day. They were screened off.

I imagine it'll be the same this year as the almighty tourist dollar can't be too ignored these days.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Excellent tip Meow. Will bring some Sterling with us then.

Shame we are coming when it's Ramadan but we knew this when we booked it. Will have emergency British biccies in our luggage to cope. That's if there's any room in our luggage after buying clothes in GB, shopping in NZ is shocking.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Last year during Ramadan both Dubai Mall and Mall of Emirates had large food courts open during the day. They were screened off.

I imagine it'll be the same this year as the almighty tourist dollar can't be too ignored these days.
I'm sure we will cope. Can't really offer a full tourist experience if you don't then allow said tourists to eat and drink when they want at certain times of the year!
Have you noticed a gradual relaxation of the rules around Ramadan in more recent years?
Old May 12th 2016, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The mall food courts being open is a change from a few years ago when they were solidly closed.

You're staying at the Madinat and on the beach side of the hotels there will be food/drinks/smoking during daylight hours. Just no alcohol till sunset.

The biggest challenge, more than anything else, will be during the day when you're out and about and want something to drink but not even water in public is allowed, although I discreetly drink water in my car w/o a problem. Frankly, the worst that will happen to you if you drink water openly during daylight hours is a reminder from a security guard that it's Ramadan and to be respectful.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm sure we will cope. Can't really offer a full tourist experience if you don't then allow said tourists to eat and drink when they want at certain times of the year!
Have you noticed a gradual relaxation of the rules around Ramadan in more recent years?
Old May 12th 2016, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Re tipping the petrol station guys - maybe worth asking if they actually get to keep the tips. I remember back in 2012 before we left DXB asking one of the guys in an E**rat station this question and he said that all tips were taken by the station operator/oil company. We gave him fruit juice and a sandwich instead.
you are guys sure about this - because they seem so happy to receive it and so I can only assume its them who is actually getting it
Old May 12th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

DXBtoDOH

I hope you don't mind me asking (for some reason I'm very curious about you lol) are you a white or desi dude? No worries, if you rather not answer.
Old May 12th 2016, 11:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
you are guys sure about this - because they seem so happy to receive it and so I can only assume its them who is actually getting it
That happened for a period but there was an outcry. It wasn't all petrol stations even then. I just check with the guys every few weeks to ensure they receive it and they have all said yes for the longest time.
Old May 12th 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
That happened for a period but there was an outcry. It wasn't all petrol stations even then. I just check with the guys every few weeks to ensure they receive it and they have all said yes for the longest time.
Thanks MEOW - good to know.