Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Terminating Apartment Rental With Absent Landlord?

Terminating Apartment Rental With Absent Landlord?

Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Terminating Apartment Rental With Absent Landlord?

Hi all.. my rental contract ends in just over 60 days (yippee!)

The rental contract says I must give at least 60 days notice in writing.

The only contact info I have for my landlord is an email address and a phone number, the landlord returned hastily to Iran several months ago.

The phone number is no longer in use and so I sent my notice of termination via email about 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had a reply.

The letting agency is unable to help as they have the same contact info as myself.

It goes without saying that I wouldn't trust the landlord as far as I could throw him.

So any advice please. I'd prefer that I leave amicably and get my deposit back, but otherwise what.? Is there a penalty, apart from losing my deposit, if I just walk away from the apartment without the landlord acknowledging my notice? If I take all the furniture in lieu of my deposit, is that considered theft?

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terminating Apartment Rental With Absent Landlord?

As the landlord uses a letting agency, I'd send them a written notice confirming your intention to leave at the end of your lease and due to no reply from landlord you are hereby confirming your termination notice through the landlords representative. Instruct them to repay the deposit into your bank - give them account details and cross fingers you get it back! Keep copies of course, ideally signed by the agent acknowledging receipt then forget about it!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

oh boy...good luck in getting your deposit back
If I was you I'd ring RERA and get the low down as to where you stand legally.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

RERA.. cheers will try tomorrow
Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Hisham Lawyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Legally, you should send the termination notice on the landlord's address written in the tenancy contract "unless he or she had previously notified you in writing of changing his/her address written in the tenancy contract".

take all the furniture in lieu of my deposit, is that considered theft?
Yes, theft or "breach of trust".