Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi in May

Moving to Abu Dhabi in May

Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

jules809 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Moving to Abu Dhabi in May

Hi guys,

I'm moving to work in AD in May and need to find a primary school for my daughter. I heed to locate one near to a 4 bed villa/townhouse, that is in a great community which allows dogs. Not much to ask!

I'm a single mother and will be employing a live in nanny who will be walking my daughter to school or a bus service, so i need a school close by. I would also like to live close to a good social area and when i did a recce in Dec, i preferred Dubai. I am happy to travel to AD from Dubai and have been looking at Umm Suqein, Arabian Ranches, Al Raha Gardens and Golf Gardens.

A lot to ask, i know, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi in May

Originally Posted by jules809
Hi guys,

I'm moving to work in AD in May and need to find a primary school for my daughter. I heed to locate one near to a 4 bed villa/townhouse, that is in a great community which allows dogs. Not much to ask!

I'm a single mother and will be employing a live in nanny who will be walking my daughter to school or a bus service, so i need a school close by. I would also like to live close to a good social area and when i did a recce in Dec, i preferred Dubai. I am happy to travel to AD from Dubai and have been looking at Umm Suqein, Arabian Ranches, Al Raha Gardens and Golf Gardens.

A lot to ask, i know, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
first of all are you able to sponsor your daughter and this Nanny? have you got a letter of no objection for your daughter from her Father? there is more to consider than the straight forwardness of finding a school. No one walks to school unless they live right next to and I mean right next to it. The commute to AD would be tiresome after some time.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

sponsoring is not an issue, as it is being done through my employer.

Yes the journey may get tiring, but i'd rather that than live in a community where i am stuck with no social life. I am looking at AD as well, but it didn't appeal to me on my recce and although it was a quick visit, i didn't see much security for my daughter and no play parks. though to be honest, i will have a better look when i move out.

obviously the reason i've posted this thread is to find a school with vacancies (which i understand are limited) near to a community, so that my nanny can walk her there or use the sch bus service.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the journey may get tiring, but i'd rather that than live in a community where i am stuck with no social life. I am looking at AD as well, but it didn't appeal to me on my recce and although it was a quick visit, i didn't see much security for my daughter and no play parks. though to be honest, i will have a better look when i move out.

obviously the reason i've posted this thread is to find a school with vacancies (which i understand are limited) near to a community, so that my nanny can walk her there or use the sch bus service.
There are limited buses, and almost no walking to school... the distances here are just not like that at home.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you seem pretty sure that there are giong to be no issues with visa's etc, I hope for your sake that it runs so smoothly. Off what nationality will your Nanny be?

The key factor to decide between Dubai and AD for housing is the cost. You will need a hell of a lot more to live in AD.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

The humidity in summer would make anything other than a very short walk unpleasant.

Whereabouts in Abu Dhabi are you working? If, for example, you are on the island, the drive from Dubai everyday will be no fun.

It's hard to judge from your postings if you fully appreciate the situation, which you may well do, or if you are being lead astray by an unscrupulous employer.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

There are some schools that have buses and i've been told that there are other single parents working in the country and they must manage with the sch run somehow?

i appreciate that the visa process will not be easy, but there are 300 expats working for my coy who have gone through this process. I've no doubt there will be tears, tantrums and frustration during the first 3 months, but i love a challenge!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need to find the school first! I know people who live in Al Raha Gardens and their children walk to Al Yasmina school except in the summer months when it's not possible due to the weather. Places at primary schools in Abu Dhabi are not that easy to get and there are usually long waiting lists. You may be lucky though especially if people leave at Easter as these places can only be filled with students transferring in. You really need to contact the schools and see what is on offer. Aldar academies run Al Yasmina along with some other schools in Abu Dhabi. They do provide a bus service from various points in the city if needed.

As BC points out you may face problems with the visas for a nanny and your child - don't believe everything you are told before you get here as things can be very difficult when it comes to sponsorship eg your nanny cannot be the same nationality as you etc etc etc.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.303 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Thank you soukie. I have emailed some schools ref places. Is Al Raha a nice place to live? I will be getting a nanny/maid in UAE ie filipino. And my daughter will be sponsored by my work.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.303 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Thank you soukie. I have emailed some schools ref places. Is Al Raha a nice place to live? I will be getting a nanny/maid in UAE ie filipino. And my daughter will be sponsored by my work.
you are missing the point, you daughter can't be sponsored by your work, she can only be sponsored by you and you have to have the right paperwork. Were you married to the Father for example? because if you weren't you don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting her sponsored.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't like Al Raha Gardens but I know plenty that love it and there are lots of children around so it would be good for your daughter. There are no shared facilities (pool etc) either so it's not ideal - there is a good complex called Mangrove and others at Golf Gardens and Sas Nakeel and they may be better for you if you decide on Abu Dhabi. You really need to look at them when you arrive. For info Sas Nakeel is built very near power lines so you may decide not to even look at it. Do you know your budget for accomodation yet?

BC raises a valid point about your daughter's sponsorship - you will be the sponsor for her and the nanny. You need to clarify the requirements with your employer - some tell you anything to get you here and then you have a problem.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

i appreciate the concern, but my job is water tight and i have had them research twice as to whether there would be a problem with my daughter, as a single mother and there isn't.

I have a friend who has just moved to Golf Gardens, so i'll speak to them.

Cheers for the help.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:25 pm
Concierge

good luck
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

i appreciate the concern, but my job is water tight and i have had them research twice as to whether there would be a problem with my daughter, as a single mother and there isn't.

I have a friend who has just moved to Golf Gardens, so i'll speak to them.

Cheers for the help.
what job will you be doing?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

NutellaIsYummy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been doing the DXB-AUH commute for 2 months and got tired of it after the 2nd week. I don't recommend it, especially if you have a child waiting at home to see you.

There are some flats in Al Barsha 1 that are within walking distance to the American school (presumably some that are 4BR, but not 100% sure). There are also some villas in the Springs that would be within walking distances to Emirates Int'l Academy (or whatever it's called). I agree that it isn't super realistic to think that your daughter will be walking to school, though. Weather is one problem, but insane drivers on the road is another (that will also be your problem if you decide to do the 250km round-trip commute to AUH every day).

Good luck with the move, hope you love it out here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.