Talking Money

Old May 26th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking Money

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's a good package.

What line of work are you in?
Facilities Management Consultant.

i.e. I try and help them design buildings that can be maintained and operated over the long term in a sustainable manner. Something that has been missing in the UAE, unfortunately for many the horse has already bolted.

Abu Dhabi however is just starting on some major projects, so there is a chance they will have a fair crack at getting it right.

I'm coming for a number of reasons, the weather, lifestyle etc. But tbh I love the middle east, I've spent a fair bit of time dotted around there and I even loved living in Riyadh. Pretty much been an expat for most of my life and I love it.

Also the scale of the projects I can get involved in over there is way beyond anything I could experience in the UK.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
not love of dubai surely - you need help
na the love of my life was here, so like a night in shining flipflops i jacked in my job and headed over

she has now been promoted to the status of wife, so it was the correct move
Old May 26th 2007, 1:05 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
na the love of my life was here, so like a night in shining flipflops i jacked in my job and headed over

she has now been promoted to the status of wife, so it was the correct move
Ahrrrrrrrrrrrrr how sweet Youre such a soft centre
I came over here to be with the love of my life also (although we had already been married two years by then)...gush ...best move we have made
Old May 26th 2007, 3:37 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
Facilities Management Consultant.

i.e. I try and help them design buildings that can be maintained and operated over the long term in a sustainable manner. Something that has been missing in the UAE, unfortunately for many the horse has already bolted.

Abu Dhabi however is just starting on some major projects, so there is a chance they will have a fair crack at getting it right.

I'm coming for a number of reasons, the weather, lifestyle etc. But tbh I love the middle east, I've spent a fair bit of time dotted around there and I even loved living in Riyadh. Pretty much been an expat for most of my life and I love it.

Also the scale of the projects I can get involved in over there is way beyond anything I could experience in the UK.
Interesting. I'm a QS, and my experience so far is that they only really pay lip service to sustainability and the like. Long-term vision and planning are lacking, IMO. Good luck with it!
Old May 26th 2007, 6:23 pm
JTF
Just Joined

JTF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benzonar
Total package is 45k a month.
Can somebody tell me this, if I am semi retired and work from home, and I.... a. exclude the cost of renting accommodation, b. have no intention of saving money, c. intend shopping in western style supermarkets, d. do not intend running a car, e. intend eating out / visiting bars for a sociable drink perhaps twice per week, and f. have only my wife, who does not earn a salary, to support... how much (ball park figures) would I need to earn to live a reasonably comfortable life in Dubai?
Old May 26th 2007, 6:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTF
Can somebody tell me this, if I am semi retired and work from home, and I.... a. exclude the cost of renting accommodation, b. have no intention of saving money, c. intend shopping in western style supermarkets, d. do not intend running a car, e. intend eating out / visiting bars for a sociable drink perhaps twice per week, and f. have only my wife, who does not earn a salary, to support... how much (ball park figures) would I need to earn to live a reasonably comfortable life in Dubai?
go to thailand
Old May 26th 2007, 6:41 pm
JTF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
go to thailand
Don't you like Dubai?
Old May 27th 2007, 3:50 am
W10

Dubai is an expensive place. Very expensive when you consider what you get in return.

It's not the place I'd want to retire to.

Old May 27th 2007, 3:56 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTF
Also Dubai is quite spread out ...You will be getting taxi's everywhere which can be costly.
Just wondering the implications of getting a visa you would need your company to sponser you and then you can sponser your wife. I's say Dubai is more like London prices.
Old May 27th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

yep, unfortunately sustainability means more upfront money...but long term you get it back in savings in running costs...corporates are getting into the swing of things though- their spin doctors are turning it into a big positive, but hard nosed developers?...nahhh.

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Interesting. I'm a QS, and my experience so far is that they only really pay lip service to sustainability and the like. Long-term vision and planning are lacking, IMO. Good luck with it!
Old May 27th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Also Dubai is quite spread out ...You will be getting taxi's everywhere which can be costly.
Just wondering the implications of getting a visa you would need your company to sponser you and then you can sponser your wife. I's say Dubai is more like London prices.
Dubai is expensive, but I think it's still cheaper than London.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:21 pm
JTF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by expat.brat
Dubai is expensive, but I think it's still cheaper than London.
So 14,000AED per month for food, bills and entertainment would be enough?
Old May 27th 2007, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTF
Which cinema are you buying???
Old May 27th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTF

Yes 14k looks more than enough - please define bills though, just to be sure
Old May 27th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTF
Is that Dhs14000 what you have left to spend after accomodation and school fees have been taken care off? If yes, then its enough. If you still need to pay for accom out of that money, then its not enough, not even a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.