British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Switch AD visa to Dubai, but stay in AD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/switch-ad-visa-dubai-but-stay-ad-896957/)

archie159 May 19th 2017 6:21 pm

Switch AD visa to Dubai, but stay in AD?

Hi all,
Been resident in Abu Dhabi 6+ years... I am almost certain to change jobs this summer, and though I will continue to live and work in AD, my new visa (and those of my family) will be out of Dubai. Are there any gotchas I need to consider? I believe there'll be problems with alcohol licences (as in, AD won't give me one, and Dubai's wont be valid here), but what about:
- Car registration? Keep in AD?
- Tenancy renewal? Any complications?
- Health insurance - I assume a dubai issued policy will not have exclusions if used in other emirates?
-Any thing else?
I know lots of people do it the other way around, so I assume there are no major complications, but if anyone can think of anything important to be aware of, it'd be useful to know.
thanks!

carcajou May 21st 2017 12:49 am

Re: Switch AD visa to Dubai, but stay in AD?

Gotchas in the Middle East? No, never . . .

Are you a government or private employee? Around 2010 or so Abu Dhabi put in a clause that AD government employees were required to live in the emirate and you lost your housing allowance if you refused and continued to live out of Dubai etc. If you are a public employee make sure Dubai doesn't have a similar clause.

Brains1983 May 21st 2017 5:08 am

Car registration? Keep in AD?
Yes, probleml.
Tenancy renewal? Any complications?
None.
Health insurance - I assume a dubai issued policy will not have exclusions if used in other emirates?
My employer reckons I'm more expensive than Dubai based employees, but I can't imagine by much (I'm on a JAFZA visa, but live in AD)
Any thing else?
You can get an AD alcohol license as that's where your tenancy is based. You'll need a NOC from Dubai police.

jam25mack May 21st 2017 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 12256917)
Car registration? Keep in AD?
Yes, probleml.

Why's that? You can test cars registered in one Emirate in any of the other Emirates.....

You can also easily transfer your traffic file and register your car in another Emirate incidental of what Emirate your visa is issued from. You just need a letter from your employer and a half decent PRO.

Brains1983 May 21st 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12256925)
Why's that? You can test cars registered in one Emirate in any of the other Emirates.....

You can also easily transfer your traffic file and register your car in another Emirate incidental of what Emirate your visa is issued from. You just need a letter from your employer and a half decent PRO.

was supposed to say Yes, No Problem :p. Makes sense to keep the cars registered in the same emirate as you are living/working for convenience. I kept my cars on AD plates until I sold them, as could have them tested in JAFZA no problem

jam25mack May 21st 2017 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 12256941)
was supposed to say Yes, No Problem :p. Makes sense to keep the cars registered in the same emirate as you are living/working for convenience. I kept my cars on AD plates until I sold them, as could have them tested in JAFZA no problem

Ahhhhhh, forgiven! ;)

I've had visas from several Emirates even though I have always worked for the same company in Dubai. At one point I was working and living in Dubai on an AD visa with Sharjah plates on my car..... :blink:

archie159 May 21st 2017 8:44 am

Many thanks, all (and I am and will remain a private employee - switching from a UAE company to a UK HQ'd [UAE office] company).
It's good also to hear I can still get a AD alcohol licence - I had been told that would be difficult.
Anything else anyone can think of to note?
thanks again.