Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

So... I have a little legal quandry

So... I have a little legal quandry

Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:31 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default So... I have a little legal quandry

Hey everyone. It's been a long time since I posted here.

I had to leave the UAE early in 2013 due to losing my job in late 2012.

This was due to a combination of it being a bad time to look for a new job (I had a couple of leads, but they all fell through due to key people being away), my dad passing away within 10 days of me arriving in the UK and a mum who was seriously ill at the time and required near full-time care.

I had a loan and a credit card with a bank, which after nearly four years of hard saving and a career change to a job that pays a lot better, I've been able to finally clear that debt.

I was very fortunate that the employer who had to lay me off agreed to keep me on the visa for as long as possible to help give me the best chance of finding a new job without the bank triggering a visa ban.

Unfortunately, because of the loan, there was no way for me to legitimately cancel the visa. As such, in order to release the visa, I'm 99% sure they will have reported me as having absconded.

I also unfortunately had an issue with my landlord who ignored multiple attempts to reach him and provide him with notice on my flat (I said he was more than welcome to retain the deposit as a good will gesture – and an attempt to prevent any further legal issues). As you might have guessed, he ignored this and I only heard anything – via the letting agent – when the cheque had (surprise surprise) bounced.

I explained the situation to the letting agent, including that I was happy to sacrifice the deposit and let him have any furniture that was still in the flat.

I never heard anything back. I've recently been in contact with the agency to see if any legal action was taken, but I haven't heard anything.

So. What I'm wondering is:

Now that the loan/debt issue has been sorted, that is the biggest hurdle I've had to climb.

1) What is the best way of going about dealing with the potential absconding notice/ban? I imagine contacting my former boss would be the first step, but is there a better approach/anything else I need to do?

2) What's the best way of checking if any action was taken about the bounced cheque?

Thanks in advance! I would love to visit Dubai again – especially as for the first year back I never thought I'd have the ability to.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... I have a little legal quandry

Have a chat to this woman Radha Stirling
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Good to hear from you mate.

Can you contact the Police out here to see? Surely they'll know?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

any bounced cheques will be reported to the police and so if you have anyone over here who could possibly visit the copper shop and enquire on your behalf, then you'll know for sure.