Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Slightly odd expat men

Slightly odd expat men

Old Mar 21st 2022, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slightly odd expat men

Came across this observation:

Foreigners are strange. And we are strange to them. It’s partly why, as any teenager from Britain learns, it’s easier to get served a drink abroad; your face might suggest a certain age, but it’s somewhat harder to tell from your mannerisms. Similarly, it’s been observed that expat communities feature a higher proportion of slightly odd men whose strangeness doesn’t communicate to potential dates, who being foreign can’t spot the cues.

Did make me pause and think back to my expat days. Can't say the writer is wrong. Is Millhouse still around?

Old Mar 21st 2022, 6:56 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly odd expat men

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

Foreigners are strange. And we are strange to them. It’s partly why, as any teenager from Britain learns, it’s easier to get served a drink abroad; your face might suggest a certain age, but it’s somewhat harder to tell from your mannerisms. Similarly, it’s been observed that expat communities feature a higher proportion of slightly odd men whose strangeness doesn’t communicate to potential dates, who being foreign can’t spot the cues.

Did make me pause and think back to my expat days. Can't say the writer is wrong. Is Millhouse still around?
Lived in Thailand for many years and came across many wierdoes. But at least they were wierdoes in a normal way, degenerate boozers, whoremongers, cheap charlies etc. Fairly common traits among many Thai expats.

But I've noticed that there are far more wierdoes in Saudi. And they're weird in strange ways. I work in a military environment and I've come across countless Walter Mitty types, pathological liars, narcissists, guys who wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting employed somewhere normal because people would just see straight through them. I could have done a thesis on some of these guys. A friend of mine who works for BAE told me there's a guy there who hasn't left the compound for 15 years apart to go to the airport!!

Fortunately, most of these guys seem to never last that long. Around 2 years would be average.

Old Mar 25th 2022, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
But I've noticed that there are far more wierdoes in Saudi. And they're weird in strange ways.
I've lived in a few countries and continents before, but the concentration of expat weirdos here in KSA is too damn high..Some are amusing to observe, but others are painful and outright dangerous.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 6:54 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

After two decades abroad I'd say it's not just limited to men.

The ratios of weirdos are higher - but there are plenty of solid gold types as well and I have made some firm friends over the years - actual friends who have your back not boozing mates who vanish when you hit hard times too.

N.
Old Mar 27th 2022, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

I've been an expat since I was a child but moved to Dubai on my own as an adult many years ago when I was single and spent my first year living in a Marina flat share...
Let me tell you - that is where you will find the highest concentration of expat weirdos in the 20-30 age bracket. Lots of false expectations and plotting to marry rich Emirati men lol.

Old Mar 27th 2022, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
I've been an expat since I was a child but moved to Dubai on my own as an adult many years ago when I was single and spent my first year living in a Marina flat share...
Let me tell you - that is where you will find the highest concentration of expat weirdos in the 20-30 age bracket. Lots of false expectations and plotting to marry rich Emirati men lol.
My first ever friends (two brothers) as an "exbrat" are quite strange, they even got world famous after releasing their seminal hit, "what the fox says".
Old Mar 29th 2022, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
My first ever friends (two brothers) as an "exbrat" are quite strange, they even got world famous after releasing their seminal hit, "what the fox says".
No way! You're friends with Mr Tumble? Get me an autograph.
Old Mar 29th 2022, 8:06 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit. Going from exbrat to expat. Nothing quite beats the strange crowd of Prague in the early 90’s and the insane parties that were had in the late 90’s during the Hollywood actors’ strike.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Marbella and I can trade you odd GCC expat men for odd Costa del Sol wag/milfs.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Some of them change their religion as well. Then they post on social media on how their "fiance" needs special permission to marry them and he keeps getting rejected and is there a way out

And if they do marry they immediately change their last names to the tribal name of their spouse (Something which native ladies never do), and then post on FB on how their kids are citizens
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Some of them change their religion as well. Then they post on social media on how their "fiance" needs special permission to marry them and he keeps getting rejected and is there a way out

And if they do marry they immediately change their last names to the tribal name of their spouse (Something which native ladies never do), and then post on FB on how their kids are citizens
I've decided on the best of both and have exported the Dubai wife to the Costa-del-sol where she can get some leather skin and a processco addiction.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 10:49 am
fth
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Come to Marbella and I can trade you odd GCC expat men for odd Costa del Sol wag/milfs.
You would be surprised how many ex GCC expats have moved to the costa del soo for retirement. Heck even Khashoggi’s palace there had been redeveloped into a home for them and a bunch of Russians.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fth
You would be surprised how many ex GCC expats have moved to the costa del soo for retirement. Heck even Khashoggi’s palace there had been redeveloped into a home for them and a bunch of Russians.
I’m not surprised. I’m one of them.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 12:27 pm
fth
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I’m not surprised. I’m one of them.
whereabouts? I’m very familiar with Sotogrande and it’s surroundings…
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fth
whereabouts? I’m very familiar with Sotogrande and it’s surroundings…
I’m near Puerto Banus. Soto was a bit too quiet for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.