Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

30yr Single Female Science Teacher thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and UAE...

30yr Single Female Science Teacher thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and UAE...

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

jessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nice
Default 30yr Single Female Science Teacher thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and UAE...

Hey
Just some advice would be great...
I need a massive change and have been applying for jobs on the TES in the middle east, but i'm not sure that being a single female would be that easy in most of the areas.
What is compound life like for singletons? is it all happy families?
How do people date? if at all?
Can you drive in Abu Dhabi and Dubai?
Is there anything to do in the evening other than watch dvds?

Where would i be best suited?

Its been great trawling through all your posts.
Cheers Jx
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30yr Single Female Science Teacher thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and UAE

Originally Posted by jessfitz
Hey
I need a massive change and have been applying for jobs on the TES in the middle east, but i'm not sure that being a single female would be that easy in most of the areas.

Cheers Jx
Hi Cheers...The Dean will be along soon...He's our education body...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:57 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30yr Single Female Science Teacher thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and UAE

Hey

Cheers Jx
Bit unsure of what you have heard, but we dont live on compounds. We can drive, date, drink and do pretty much what we do back in the West, as long as you dont take the piss...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

jessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nicejessfitz is just really nice

I have applied to Al Khobar in Saudi and Sharjah.
Al Khobar sounds very strict and compound focused, i would have to wear an abbaya and couldn't drive, so i withdrew from that interview.

Sharjah sounds more relaxed, but not as much as Dubai, also Sharjah is 'dry', and I do like an odd glass of vino at the end of a long week at school?

Is that your vedict?
jx
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Al Khobar sounds very strict and compound focused, i would have to wear an abbaya and couldn't drive, so i withdrew from that interview.

Sharjah sounds more relaxed, but not as much as Dubai, also Sharjah is 'dry', and I do like an odd glass of vino at the end of a long week at school?

Is that your vedict?
jx
It's possible to have stuff indoors in SHJ...Live dangerously...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

So is sharjah a cool place to live? are there plenty of expats? is it easy to meet people? would i be able to save my tax free earnings,or does it cost a fortune to live out there?

lots of Qs ha ha
J x
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:13 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Is that your vedict?
jx
Ahhh, my bad. I took it from your post title that youwere considering Abu Dhabi or Dubai. .....

Saudi? Would be pretty shitty for a single expat lassie... (Spent 5 yrs thre so have some experience of Khobar, Dammam and Dharan)..UNLESS you are talking about Aramco or BAE.

Sharjah is so next door to Dubai that if you knock on the right wall in Sharjah, your neighbours in Dubai can hear it.. Dont worry about Sharjah being dry, you are a hop, skip and jump from the hedonisitc lifestyle of Dubai Expats, if you can find a taxi willing to get you over here....
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:16 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

So is sharjah a cool place to live? are there plenty of expats? is it easy to meet people? would i be able to save my tax free earnings,or does it cost a fortune to live out there?

lots of Qs ha ha
J x
Sharjah is by far a cheaper alternative to Dubai, but its because it can often be an SOB to get into Dubai from there (some deal between Dubai and Sharjah taxis, I think). While your salary is tax free, the rental prices will probably make your eyes pop, so dont go thinking that you can retire in 5 years...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Ideally it would be Abu Dhabi or Dubai, but they were the only jobs coming up at the mo, i'll see what the TES produces over the next few weeks.

So Sharjah sounds promising! I'll see if i get an interview.

Ive also applied to Dubai school, so fingers crossed.
Thanks for advice
Jx
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Apparently, the schools pay for accomodation and utlity bills, gym and health care!! sounds too good to be true!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:19 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Apparently, the schools pay for accomodation and utlity bills, gym and health care!! sounds too good to be true!
...then it probably is.. WTF is TES anyway?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Times Educational Supplement.... the teaching news paper where they advertise for national and international teaching posts. You can get the website to email you job adverts, i'm addicted, the world is my oyster!!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds good...You'll have a somewhat stress-free life...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

Been to the blue souk a few times in Sharjah which is ok, but as for the rest of it or to live there i think Dubai would be a better bet.
Are you particularly looking to head to the middle east or do you just want to experience a different life outside the UK?
My own personal experience was that it became a bit 'samey' after a while. I'd recommend flying out there and having a look first if you can.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Just want to do something different for a couple of years. Nottingham is very samey!! ha ha
Jx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.