Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shortwave radio in Muscat

Shortwave radio in Muscat

Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Shortwave radio in Muscat

I fancy buying me a decent radio receiver (from ebay) to hear shortwave stations and ham operators...Would the local customs at the Post Office allow this piece of equipment to enter? It is not a transmitter, it is a sophisticated desktop radio receiver.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shortwave radio in Muscat

You will 100% need permission.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

I will try to visit the royal omani radio society, maybe they can be of some assistance...
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
You will 100% need permission.
You need permission to buy a radio receiver?
Originally Posted by Debowing
I will try to visit the royal omani radio society, maybe they can be of some assistance...
Sounds like a good idea. ..... Why not register for a ham license, the exam isn't difficult (assuming it is similar to the one I took in the UK) and would help establish your credibility if "permission" is required.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 1st 2015 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am pretty sure I don't need permission, but it's good to ask these guys, I am sure they know...And I could study for the exam if necessary and get a licence, but in reality all I want is a good quality shortwave radio to listen to shortwave broadcasts and maybe the odd ham or two doing their thing..
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

So far as a receiver is concerned most ME countries have fairly strict regulations governing such "apparatus". You most likely need an import licence for which you might also need to be "suitably qualified". It's possible also that any equipment you might be able to import needs type approval and registration. Despite the internet and mobile phones many places still consider radio equipment a weapon, lots of 50's and 60's non thinking going on here.

Thinking of buying a desktop type radio is also a bit behind the curve these days, okay if you just want to listen to what remains of global short wave broadcasting and little else. Something like the Microtelecom Perseus, Perseus SDR Home Page is unobtrusive, not much bigger than a cigarette packet yet plug it into your computer and it's a fairly high end radio receiver. It's remotable too so you could have it installed in a more enlightened country but control it from anywhere. Not the cheapest solution but there are alternatives, Google SDR and dig a little will reveal a lot.

Martin,
HS0ZED, G4UQF
Old Oct 5th 2015, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

If you just want to listen in, a Grundig Yachtboy or a Sony 7600 are good choices, but buy them in Europe. I bought a Sony ICF7600 in Dubai and a lot of bands were blanked out due to the Saudi Military, If you have the chance, look on UK Ebay for unristrictied radios, Sony 8000's are worth looking out for too. The KGB used them quite happily....
Old Oct 5th 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I also had a Sony ICF 7600 but I broke it one day, I was doing some silly things trying to repair the tune bar and it was damaged by me beyond repair. But I got 14 years out of that radio and I bought it in Dubai in 98. Most of the bands weren't blocked in that radio.

Now most radios are available as software defined, which is a small box connected to the laptop and the laptop does most of the work.

I fancy getting me a ICOM IC R75 from ebay, which is a decent piece of kit and it is still in production, but surely will be obsolete in a few years. I like a piece of solid kit (a rig) as opposed to software based radio, which is just that, another piece of software. Additionally, the software base radios are equal in price or more expensive, than the traditional radios.

What they do have going for them is small size and a very sophisticated display and menu presentation on the PC.

I am concerned that the customs guy in the post office won't allow it in once I get it.
I need to go and enquire at ROARS. (Royal Oman Amateur Radio Society). I am sure they would know.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update: I was referred by ROARS to the TRA (Telecommunications Regulatory Authority) they said that this type of device is certainly allowed, due to it being a receiver only, but they need me to apply for a device type importation permit, costing 125 RO and it comes with the customs clearance. Seems like the only option, I suppose.