Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping a 2103 Hybrid Car to Dubai

Shipping a 2103 Hybrid Car to Dubai

Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

statspro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a 2103 Hybrid Car to Dubai

Does it make sense to ship a a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid from Florida to Dubai? Would it meet UAE weather requirements? I worry about the AC issue, service, and my ability to insure it.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a 2103 Hybrid Car to Dubai

I'd say no. Why would you bother?

AC may need up grading, and also the cooling system may need tweaked.

Service contract (if under one) won't be transferable.

Registration will be OK, as long as its a model on sale here too. Importing a car which isn't on 'the list' can be troublesome.

Insurance should be OK unless not on 'the list' then the same applies as for registration.

So again, whats the point? Hyundais are pretty average cheap cars...... so why not just sell it and buy here? Then you don't have to pay for shipping or bugger about with all of the above.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'd say no. Why would you bother?

AC may need up grading, and also the cooling system may need tweaked.

Service contract (if under one) won't be transferable.

Registration will be OK, as long as its a model on sale here too. Importing a car which isn't on 'the list' can be troublesome.

Insurance should be OK unless not on 'the list' then the same applies as for registration.

So again, whats the point? Hyundais are pretty average cheap cars...... so why not just sell it and buy here? Then you don't have to pay for shipping or bugger about with all of the above.
I want to keep the car for 3 reasons:

1. Hybrid
2. I am the original owner
3. Very low mileage (less than 10k miles).

Shipping is only $1,500 plus I can fill it up with my belongings. Also, I do not want to lose a couple of thousands selling my current car and a couple of thousands buying another one in Dubai. BTW, the Sonata Hybrid is not cheap here ($26k brand new). Is it available in Dubai?

Last edited by statspro; Aug 9th 2017 at 1:28 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by statspro
I want to keep the car for 3 reasons:

1. Hybrid
2. I am the original owner
3. Very low mileage (less than 10k miles).

Shipping is only $1,500 plus I can fill it up with my belongings. Also, I do not want to lose a couple of thousands selling my current car and a couple of thousands buying another one in Dubai. BTW, the Sonata Hybrid is not cheap here ($26k brand new). Is it available in Dubai?
It's your call......

1. You can get hybrids here, although good luck finding someone who knows how to fix them.
2. So...?
3. Meh.

Yes you can find Sonatas here.... There's 45 on Dubizzle right now for pocket change. Hyundai's are considered as cheap and cheerful in this neck of the woods. There's several 2015 - 2017 models with zero miles going for approx 50K ($13K)...... You never know, you may get an upgrade and make a profit.

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...t=&ot=desc&o=3
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jam25mack
It's your call......

1. You can get hybrids here, although good luck finding someone who knows how to fix them.
2. So...?
3. Meh.

Yes you can find Sonatas here.... There's 45 on Dubizzle right now for pocket change. Hyundai's are considered as cheap and cheerful in this neck of the woods. There's several 2015 - 2017 models with zero miles going for approx 50K ($13K)...... You never know, you may get an upgrade and make a profit.

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/us...t=&ot=desc&o=3
I think you are right, definitely not worth shipping the hybrid. I have another question if you do not mind. What's the cheapest way to ship a few personal items to Dubai?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th 2017, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by statspro
I think you are right, definitely not worth shipping the hybrid. I have another question if you do not mind. What's the cheapest way to ship a few personal items to Dubai?

Thanks!
I haven't a clue as to shipping. Start a new thread. They'll be someone along soon enough to advise.