Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sharjah - What's it really like to live there?

I can't see what the deal is. Sharjah is right next to Dubai... you can live in Sharjah and work/shop/party in Dubai.

I just checked out of curiosity, and American University of Sharjah to Dubai Mall is 27 minutes by car according to Google Maps.

Logistically it will not be different from people who work in London/NYC and live in the suburbs. And you are likely to save a lot of money compared to overpriced housing stock in Dubai.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
I can't see what the deal is. Sharjah is right next to Dubai... you can live in Sharjah and work/shop/party in Dubai.

I just checked out of curiosity, and American University of Sharjah to Dubai Mall is 27 minutes by car according to Google Maps.

Logistically it will not be different from people who work in London/NYC and live in the suburbs. And you are likely to save a lot of money compared to overpriced housing stock in Dubai.

27 minutes? Yes, probably at 4am otherwise way longer in peak hours.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Matthew Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Living there normally leads to a lot more savings.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 27th 2015, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Fembie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working and Living in Sharjah

Hi

I have been recently been approached about a job in Sharjah the recruiter did tell me she had problems getting the job filled as it had been vacant for a long time (which did ring alarms). Although the rate was very low!

My problem is I'm female and an lead engineer I'm divorced but I have no intention of getting married again although we've been together 10 years. My partner is a chef so I would be the main breadwinner.

When I explained this to the lady she said it was ok that I didn't need to be married and my partner could work and we could live together. Is this true??? As I've been told previously that I don't necessarily need to marry but as I'm the main breadwinner my partner couldn't work!!

Can someone explain as I wouldnt want to go somewhere and get into trouble with police as my partner is younger as extremely very clingy

Also can you tell me whether it's expensive to live there? And what a good rate would be

Thanks for the help
M

Last edited by Fembie; Mar 27th 2015 at 11:30 am.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It is not legal to cohabit but lots do it. Mr clingy would come on a tourist visa and would have to renew (assuming he has a British passport) every month (drive to Oman, lots of people do this) until he got a work/residence visa, he will not have medical insurance (cannot be covered on yours). Please read this thread/search for info on costs, please see any answers to your specific job question which I moved to the jobs forum.

Last edited by mikewot; Mar 27th 2015 at 1:36 pm. Reason: Keyboard working properly now, So I can type!
Old Mar 28th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

I would think the worst thing of living in Sharjah is the traffic...It also largely depends on which area of Sharjah you live in. Some areas are pretty and some areas are pretty run-down. And if alcohol and drinking is very important for you, then Sharjah is not a good choice.