Saudia Airlines

Old Dec 19th 2017, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudia Airlines

Pretty sure that no transit visa is required. To change planes in Jeddah you do not need to go through immigration. You stay "airside". It is also possible to overnight in the Airport Hotel without going through immigration.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:13 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Pretty sure that no transit visa is required. To change planes in Jeddah you do not need to go through immigration. You stay "airside". It is also possible to overnight in the Airport Hotel without going through immigration.
That should be double checked as some countries require you to have a transit visa even if you never leave the plane and it's just a stop-off. I'm painfully aware of this because my partner and I were denied boarding to an EK flight to Auckland (in business class) because my other half required a transit visa for Australia where the plane stopped en route (though you had to look very hard on the EK booking site to even realise that it stopped in Oz). Neither of us had any idea this could even be a requirement and EK certainly didn't indicate at any point that it might be something to check even though it impacts citizens of their home country.

We managed to rebook for later that day on Cathay (in cattle class) through Hong Kong which had no such restriction even though we had to change planes there. It turns out that it only takes about an hour for an Oz visa to come through online as we discovered later when arranging a trip to Oz - in fact his visa was faster than my ESTA though it cost a lot more...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Dec 20th 2017 at 10:19 am.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It probably depends on nationality. there is a publication - now online - updated monthly which explains all the convolutions of requirements for visas etc. Cant remember the name. It is 15 years since I worked in the Saudia Training centre.

Any competent travel agent can advise.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Are you referring to Timatic?

It's hard to find definitive information anywhere and the travel agent haven't been responsive...

From what I can gauge it looks like you can spend up to 12 hours in the airport without the need for a visa but we will see tomorrow
Old Dec 25th 2017, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always found the check-in staff at the Saudia desk were knowledgeable about visas etc - and capable of checking the up-to-date regulations.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
capable of checking the up-to-date regulations.
and also capable of refusing to issue you with a boarding pass because you don't meet the requirements. Terrific.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
That should be double checked as some countries require you to have a transit visa even if you never leave the plane and it's just a stop-off. I'm painfully aware of this because my partner and I were denied boarding to an EK flight to Auckland (in business class) because my other half required a transit visa for Australia where the plane stopped en route (though you had to look very hard on the EK booking site to even realise that it stopped in Oz). Neither of us had any idea this could even be a requirement and EK certainly didn't indicate at any point that it might be something to check even though it impacts citizens of their home country.

We managed to rebook for later that day on Cathay (in cattle class) through Hong Kong which had no such restriction even though we had to change planes there. It turns out that it only takes about an hour for an Oz visa to come through online as we discovered later when arranging a trip to Oz - in fact his visa was faster than my ESTA though it cost a lot more...
Similar situation happened to an American mate going to NZ via Australia. He arranged for a multi day layover in Sydney and checked in at the airport without realising Americans also needed to get the ETA because he'd gone to Australia years ago when it wasn't required. Nothing on the airline's website said anything about Australia requiring the ETA even from western countries. The QA staff couldn't check him in but told him very directly to apply for the visa NOW and he went to the airport computer centre and filled out the online application, paid via credit and 20 minutes later when he was in the queue to rebook the ticket for the next day or so, the email comes through with the approval. So he went back to check in and managed to get on the plane. Said it was the most nerve-wracking and bizarre experience ever and said it felt like Australia just wanted the money because the approval was immediate and the ETA automatically added to his passport number in the airline's computer system.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Jan 1st 2018 at 10:22 am.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the current info on transiting Australia

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Lega/...ough-australia

The USA is even worse, you either need to do the ESTA/VWP process, or get a proper (not just transit) visa in order to transit there.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Saudia do not fly to Oz !
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Similar situation happened to an American mate going to NZ via Australia.
This happened to me when I attempted to fly out of Japan to Australia (transit) about 6 months after they decided all Brits needed visas. We managed to apply online and have our visas approved just as check in closed. Not fun...
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

All fine through the airports (Riyadh and Jeddah). Not too bad really... was a bit strange hearing the prayers on every flight and delays from certain people being unhappy sitting next to others...
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:52 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
All fine through the airports (Riyadh and Jeddah). Not too bad really... was a bit strange hearing the prayers on every flight and delays from certain people being unhappy sitting next to others...
So no immigration, no transit visa required? Presumably you had to go through some kind of security queue to get to your connecting flight? Such things can also be a nightmare in Saudi airports though I guess if you're airside you don't have to wait behind dozens of Afghan shepherds with trolleys loaded up with huge jerrycans of zam zam water...
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Jeddah there are all the facilities you need airside - including a hotel.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
So no immigration, no transit visa required? Presumably you had to go through some kind of security queue to get to your connecting flight? Such things can also be a nightmare in Saudi airports though I guess if you're airside you don't have to wait behind dozens of Afghan shepherds with trolleys loaded up with huge jerrycans of zam zam water...
Yep no immigration, no transit visa for my stopover (2 hours). Just waited in a fairly boring airport with a coffee shop and a bareboned duty free.

Queues weren't too bad, take off was a bit of a palava though