Saudi Arabia

Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi Arabia

Most decent companies arrange accommodation for their expats - it's maybe a red flag if they won't (why not?) But otherwise £140k is a good salary for Saudi and certainly enough to live on and save money.

Note that the most expensive compound villas are actually 480k SAR (and advertised as something like 580k (!) SAR) but there are plenty in the 250-300 range that are perfectly nice and they go as low as 120k SAR for low end compounds (which can be alright). If coming with family, I think you definitely need a compound, especially at first. They'll be lonely and feel trapped in a villa.

Also note that at present there are plenty of compound villas available with no waiting list (but they'll still pretend they have a 2 year queue when you first get in touch...sigh.....)

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Mar 8th 2017 at 6:24 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

globalgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay my post keeps disappearing after I have posted I am guessing it is because I put a link in the original version so I apologise if you get this message 3 times, admins please can you delete my other 2 posts if this is the case and they appear later! I will not post links from now on.

It depends on where you are moving to in KSA as it can differ, I am basing my very approximate costs on Riyadh which of course is the capital so is bound to be more expensive.

Accommodation on a western compound will be a big chunk a villa can set you back 50K plus a year. You will need to contact all of the recommended ones and ask them (our accommodation is paid for but I hear it is expensive). Sometimes their list fee can be negotiated depending on whether they are full or not.

Now you can get accommodation outside of a compound a lot cheaper. For instance a 2 bedroom apartment for 2500 SAR a month. However, you have to greatly consider the happiness of your family. Your wife will feel very isolated outside of a compound and your kids may too. Many families struggle when they move over so I would go for a compound to give you the best chance of your wife and kids wanting to stay.

School fees are another cost, an example of fees for Riyadh, if you want to send them to the British school start from approx 37,000 Sar upto 83,000 SAR per child per year.

Then you have medical insurance for 4 people, again this is included but I heard that is 2500 Sar per month per person for Bupa Gold from a friend who is a consultant for a large business and gets it through them so they may have company rates, not sure. Again please check this yourself to make sure as I may have missunderstood his package.

Full time helper for the missus tends to be between 2000-2500SAR a month or 25SAR an hour for a cleaner, food shopping is at least double the amount it was in the UK for us.

Car, you need a good one for the family, you can buy them from other expats for 35,000 SAR to 60,000 SAR but for a new one, they are cheaper than the UK but still expensive as you need more protection, you need a people carrier really. Many people put say a £5K deposit down then pay £600-800 a month.

Internet is about £50 a month, electronics are thought to be cheaper but that depends on what you buy, you can get a good deal on a TV but laptops are about the same and say a dyson vacume is more expensive. Clothes tend to be more expensive but they do have good sales.

Also many companies give you flights home as well which is worth at least a 2-3K a year.

£120K is a decent package but you are not going to be rich, just comfortable and of course it depends on what you are moving from and how much you earn now. For instance we would actually be financially better off in the UK but we can for the hassle free lifestyle, the sun and the adventure.

Many companies are used to renegotiations, so don't be afraid to renegotiate your package and ask for things like health, schooling and an accommodation allowance. Time to get the spreadsheet out, get a few quotes, do a comparison. Then decide on a number you are happy to live with as it is a big upheaval for the family if you are not going to benefit from it financially.

Last edited by globalgeek; Mar 16th 2017 at 8:08 am.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:06 am
Just Joined

globalgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep it was the link! Noted for future.