Reload this Page >

Are the rumours true?

Are the rumours true?

Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Winnie12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are the rumours true?

Hello there,

Dubai is my favourite choice for a 2 year placement with an international company, but I would like to hear first hand whether it really is safe for an unmarried blonde westerner? (I say blonde since this apparently attracts more attention). Research can only go so far as sites are not always routinely updated.

Also it may sound silly, but with the UAE's close proximity to Saudi Arabia (where laws on interaction between men and women are much less liberal than in the UAE), Iran and Iraq, and its 92% population of westerners, can you see Islamic extremism being a real threat in Dubai in the next year or so? I know it's a guessing game, but any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for taking the time to read I hope you can reply with any thoughts you may have.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Are the rumours true?

Originally Posted by Winnie12
Hello there,

Dubai is my favourite choice for a 2 year placement with an international company, but I would like to hear first hand whether it really is safe for an unmarried blonde westerner? (I say blonde since this apparently attracts more attention). Research can only go so far as sites are not always routinely updated.

Also it may sound silly, but with the UAE's close proximity to Saudi Arabia (where laws on interaction between men and women are much less liberal than in the UAE), Iran and Iraq, and its 92% population of westerners, can you see Islamic extremism being a real threat in Dubai in the next year or so? I know it's a guessing game, but any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for taking the time to read I hope you can reply with any thoughts you may have.
The UAE is not 92% Westerners.

It's safe and sound. You will attract looks but not everywhere and not from everyone.

Saudi is far enough away that it only appears on road signs when you get towards Abu Dhabi.

Iran and Iraq are close enough to cause trouble if they want, but they won't.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, Scamp! And oops, I meant that Dubai's population is 92% westerners. How long have you lived in Dubai for?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply, Scamp! And oops, I meant that Dubai's population is 92% westerners. How long have you lived in Dubai for?
It's under 5%
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Really? That's odd. Most sites seem to say the majority of the population in Dubai are westerners! May have to check again...
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, Scamp! And oops, I meant that Dubai's population is 92% westerners.
Where on earth did you read that? 75% of Dubai's population are from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. The rest are Egyptian, Lebanese, Iranian, Iraqi, Syrian, roughly in that order. Yes there are plenty of westerners but less than 10% I would estimate.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Oh yeah that's true, I did read that! I suppose I was using the term westerner loosely, so 92% o the population in Dubai then would be non-Emirati?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Unbelievably, 3.5 years now. My mrs isn't a blonde but she's never had any issues out and about on her own. Only time anyone has ever said anything about her appearance was at the mall in her work uniform (PE teacher, shorts and polo), someone asked her to be more respectful.

Just be prepared if you do come for some attention from non GCC Arab blokes. Sweeping generalisation I know, but they're all slimey pervs.

Oh yeah that's true, I did read that! I suppose I was using the term westerner loosely, so 92% o the population in Dubai then would be non-Emirati?
Yeah, that's right. It's something mental like 47% Indian alone.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Oh wow quite a long time then! Are you both missing any home comforts or happy to still be there?

Yeah that's no problem, I am prepared to be covered up. I have another question, I know it isn't allowed for unmarried couples to cohabitate, but when my boyfriend comes to visit me, would we even be able to share a hotel room, if he isn't allowed to stay at my flat for the weekend? or could he? I've heard all sorts so just wanted to check!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Oh wow quite a long time then! Are you both missing any home comforts or happy to still be there?

Yeah that's no problem, I am prepared to be covered up. I have another question, I know it isn't allowed for unmarried couples to cohabitate, but when my boyfriend comes to visit me, would we even be able to share a hotel room, if he isn't allowed to stay at my flat for the weekend? or could he? I've heard all sorts so just wanted to check!
Not compared to a lot of people, you'd be surprised. It's so easy to live here, very few life-restricting rules.

I miss greenery, sensible driving, squash (the drink) being available consistently in Waitrose, cheap(er) beer, real ales. That's about it. I can get almost all of that here in one form or another so it's not the end of the world.

I miss my Dad and Mum, but they visit.

Being here and missing shit is 100% miles better than being in the UK.

Don't need to be covered up much really, only knees and shoulders in the mall etc, but be prepared to see people wearing very little and not giving a monkeys about it in the process.

As long as you don't piss off neighbours enough to make them ring the fuzz you're fine. We cohabit.

When we stay in hotels they call the person who didn't book 'Mr or Mrs other person's surname'. If that makes sense. They don't care, they just want the cash money.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not compared to a lot of people, you'd be surprised. It's so easy to live here, very few life-restricting rules.

I miss greenery, sensible driving, squash (the drink) being available consistently in Waitrose, cheap(er) beer, real ales. That's about it. I can get almost all of that here in one form or another so it's not the end of the world.

I miss my Dad and Mum, but they visit.

Being here and missing shit is 100% miles better than being in the UK.

Don't need to be covered up much really, only knees and shoulders in the mall etc, but be prepared to see people wearing very little and not giving a monkeys about it in the process.

As long as you don't piss off neighbours enough to make them ring the fuzz you're fine. We cohabit.

When we stay in hotels they call the person who didn't book 'Mr or Mrs other person's surname'. If that makes sense. They don't care, they just want the cash money.
My mum isn't too keen to be honest because of safety, but I think that's normal. Half of me agrees with her, but then I know we would be of top priority for the British government (or so I hope) if it all suddenly went terribly wrong with regards to extremism!

And thanks for the heads up. It's helpful to talk to someone who actually lives there, and insightful to know you both even prefer it to the UK! Any main tips, like on what to prepare before I come, or whilst I'm there?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you're safer in Dubai than in any large city in UK. There are different dangers, but they're generally avoidable by taken sensible precautions, just as you would anywhere.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I know we would be of top priority for the British government (or so I hope) if it all suddenly went terribly wrong with regards to extremism!
ROFL! You're joking. The embassy here does diddly squat for expats. They used to have an online registration system so they knew who was here but that has fallen by the wayside now in the face of government cuts.
Any main tips, like on what to prepare before I come, or whilst I'm there?
Take some time and read through the forum, there is unlikely to be anything which has not been asked and answered a zillion times previously. Except if your question is really esoteric (which we do get) like I'm a Canadian married to a Filipino and our baby was born in China, where can we get the babies birth certificate attested for travelling to the Yemen.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

My mum isn't too keen to be honest because of safety, but I think that's normal. Half of me agrees with her, but then I know we would be of top priority for the British government (or so I hope) if it all suddenly went terribly wrong with regards to extremism!

And thanks for the heads up. It's helpful to talk to someone who actually lives there, and insightful to know you both even prefer it to the UK! Any main tips, like on what to prepare before I come, or whilst I'm there?
Nah, it's safer here than a lot of places. British Embassy here (apparently) doesn't give much help to anyone at all. Not had to use them (touch wood).

If anything went tits up, I'd be well on my way but I can't see anything happening.

Bring lots of passport photos.
Bring as much money as you can, it's not cheap.
See as much of the old part of town and the country as a whole as you can.
Don't just go to Barasti every night.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
ROFL! You're joking. The embassy here does diddly squat for expats. They used to have an online registration system so they knew who was here but that has fallen by the wayside now in the face of government cuts.
Take some time and read through the forum, there is unlikely to be anything which has not been asked and answered a zillion times previously. Except if your question is really esoteric (which we do get) like I'm a Canadian married to a Filipino and our baby was born in China, where can we get the babies birth certificate attested for travelling to the Yemen.
Okay well let's just hope no radicals man the airport otherwise we would be doomed! That doesn't instil me with much confidence but if there's a big community of expats then I'm sure we'd know when the best time to leave would be...

Since you mentioned China, Shanghai's my 2nd choice, but am concerned over poor air quality. 2 years might be too long to put up with it! The language barrier is potentially a concern, I know it'll be difficult to pick up even the basics but am willing to do so and have an idea of what it entails since I got my degree in French and German.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.