Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh: Telecomms Job

Riyadh: Telecomms Job

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:41 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Riyadh: Telecomms Job

Originally Posted by coffindodger
How do you get onto the Embassy social lists ???
I have been in Riyadh now for 3 months registered on line via he FCO Website etc etc , even spoke to some one in the Britsh Embassy and still no joy ??
is this like the Feeemasons hush hush ???
there's a british society and a caledonian as well as get yourself to a hash. meet people and the embassy bashes will come. (by the way, registering with an embassy is more for situations where if the shit hits the fan, they'll get you out; not invite you round for a drink)
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:14 am
Just Joined

scoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by still.unsure
there's a british society and a caledonian as well as get yourself to a hash. meet people and the embassy bashes will come. (by the way, registering with an embassy is more for situations where if the shit hits the fan, they'll get you out; not invite you round for a drink)
What is a hash?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:20 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoot
What is a hash?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:41 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

What is a hash?
basically it's a non-locals weekend group hike somewhere in the desert (changes every week). it's a social event with a bit of traditional structure around it. (i think) they average at least 100+ people each weekend.

it's just an easy way to get out and socialize really, and the contacts you make there turn into other invites and so on.

it can take a while to crack the social scene, but it's a must as this place is hell w/out it.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

(by the way, registering with an embassy is more for situations where if the shit hits the fan, they'll get you out; not invite you round for a drink)

Noooooo, the process is
1. You hear there is a problem
2. Bombs go off and bullets fly
3. You call the embassy to find out what is happening
4. Ooops, they've left already . . .

N
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Nic1

Noooooo, the process is
1. You hear there is a problem
2. Bombs go off and bullets fly
3. You call the embassy to find out what is happening
4. Ooops, they've left already . . .

N
well, yes, fair enough, but the poor OP sounds a little 'green' to the whole idea so didn't want to scare him off with what actually happens when the shit hits the fan. (the funniest is that during the '03 bombings, the story goes that when you called the Oz embassy, you just got an answering machine saying "sorry, we're not in right now due to an unforeseen event" )

moral of the story: don't rely on anyone but your own (in my case, fat) arse to get you out of a sticky situation in the magic kingdom!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing about how people should have a bag packed 'ready to go' in an emergency! Do you have one ? If not, what would you grab as you ran out of the door ?

My list:
1. Passports (duh!)
2. Photo albums
3. Cats
4. Dogs
5. Kids

Not necessarily in that order

N
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:28 am

I keep hearing about how people should have a bag packed 'ready to go' in an emergency! Do you have one ? If not, what would you grab as you ran out of the door ?

My list:
1. Passports (duh!)
2. Photo albums
3. Cats
4. Dogs
5. Kids

Not necessarily in that order

N
(was about to say, "hope the kids don't see that list!")

- better-half
- passports
- cash
- water
- mobiles & batteries
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

How does the EID compound compare with other facilities in Riyadh? Done a bit of googling but info is scarce!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:55 pm

How does the EID compound compare with other facilities in Riyadh? Done a bit of googling but info is scarce!
eid is pretty good, it's probably about 30 - 45 mins (traffic dependant) commute from the STC offices downtown. it's out near (arguably) one of the better malls (granada) and is pretty spacious. it's very heavily family orientated with activities and villas and most of the social circles revolve around the kids meeting each other first and then the parents introducing themselve. ("hi i'm so-and-so's mother/father", that sort of thing). the facilities are pretty good and are the run-of-the-mill list; (all onsite)
- grocery store
- drycleaners
- tailors (for putting the buttons back on that the cleaners have removed!)
- hairdresser
- physio
- gym
- pools (5 in total, 1 of which is a wave pool)
- restaurant
- squash, tennis, basketball courts
- and more...

all the bits and pieces are in pretty good nick and there's plenty of activities as well. the crowd is nice and friendly, just look at you like a leper if you don't have a brat screaming around the place (or a bun in the oven)

i forgot, are you coming alone or married?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

eid is pretty good, it's probably about 30 - 45 mins (traffic dependant) commute from the STC offices downtown. it's out near (arguably) one of the better malls (granada) and is pretty spacious. it's very heavily family orientated with activities and villas and most of the social circles revolve around the kids meeting each other first and then the parents introducing themselve. ("hi i'm so-and-so's mother/father", that sort of thing). the facilities are pretty good and are the run-of-the-mill list; (all onsite)
- grocery store
- drycleaners
- tailors (for putting the buttons back on that the cleaners have removed!)
- hairdresser
- physio
- gym
- pools (5 in total, 1 of which is a wave pool)
- restaurant
- squash, tennis, basketball courts
- and more...

all the bits and pieces are in pretty good nick and there's plenty of activities as well. the crowd is nice and friendly, just look at you like a leper if you don't have a brat screaming around the place (or a bun in the oven)

i forgot, are you coming alone or married?
Sounds pretty good I am coming on my own, from what i understand there will be 10 of us in total though, i know of one other guy who is in my age group too heading over at the same time which will help.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:01 pm

Sounds pretty good I am coming on my own, from what i understand there will be 10 of us in total though, i know of one other guy who is in my age group too heading over at the same time which will help.
good 'o (more lambs to the slaughter! )
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

good 'o (more lambs to the slaughter! )
You are really selling the idea of riyadh to me
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

After my rather tongue in cheek post re the British Embassy they sent us an email which says the following . . .

WARDENS' NOTICE 02.09

Wardens Notice: The following addition to the FCO Travel advice has been made to take account of the recent outbreak of Swine Flu in Mexico.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) views the threat of a human influenza pandemic as immediate and probable. A pandemic is likely to have a significant impact not just on human health and mortality, but also on the global economic, social and political situation.

Because of the potential numbers of people involved in a pandemic globally and the likely disruptions to international travel, the FCO will be unable to offer evacuation to British nationals. In addition, missions overseas including this Embassy will not be able to provide BNs with Tamiflu. As such we are advising our British Community to take responsibility for their own health care arrangements and to ensure that their travel documents are up-to-date.

Helpful as ever eh ? And here's me with a freezer full of piggly wiggly . . .

N
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

After my rather tongue in cheek post re the British Embassy they sent us an email which says the following . . .

WARDENS' NOTICE 02.09

Wardens Notice: The following addition to the FCO Travel advice has been made to take account of the recent outbreak of Swine Flu in Mexico.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) views the threat of a human influenza pandemic as immediate and probable. A pandemic is likely to have a significant impact not just on human health and mortality, but also on the global economic, social and political situation.

Because of the potential numbers of people involved in a pandemic globally and the likely disruptions to international travel, the FCO will be unable to offer evacuation to British nationals. In addition, missions overseas including this Embassy will not be able to provide BNs with Tamiflu. As such we are advising our British Community to take responsibility for their own health care arrangements and to ensure that their travel documents are up-to-date.

Helpful as ever eh ? And here's me with a freezer full of piggly wiggly . . .

N
They sound like a great help

It really winds me up how the media like to blow things like this way out of proportion. Sure people have sadly died from this but in countries like the UK etc. they should be able to deal with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.