British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/riyadh-905326/)

Nathan14 Oct 31st 2017 10:15 pm

Riyadh

Hi all

I have been finally offered a job in Riyadh. The company has asked me what I am looking for in terms of salary rather than telling me how much will they pay. I live in Uk, family of four, two young kids ( joint income around £100K, before tax). I wish to live in a decent compound which has a swimming pool etc. Would like to send the kids to the Brit School. Any idea to achieve all this plus holidays and considering some saving too how much should I ask per annum. Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nathan

sman987 Nov 1st 2017 4:28 am

Re: Riyadh

Not sure what it is like now but I was there a number of years ago when I was roughly in the same position as you (2 kids, 100K income).

I got
- 120K tax free
- Housing limit of 180SAR
- Schooling covered for kids or 90% of it anyhow....

The British school is in Al-Hamra so you should be able to check the price of that easy enough. Not sure what accomodation costs now but we have a 4-bed in Arizona compound and the compound had a golf course, community pools, bowling alley, bar, and some shops/other stuff.

You will spend a lot on holidays or Bahrain/Dubai trips. but can save a lot too.

Nathan14 Nov 1st 2017 5:12 am

Thank you for all that information. When you say a few years ago do you mind telling me how many years ago it was. The reason I am asking is because I have heard over the years the accommodation prices have rocketed and so has the cost of holidays in Dubai.

sman987 Nov 1st 2017 6:03 am

I was there 10-12 years ago.. but I think the same holds true.

- Ask for 20% over your current income... Then you get the tax uptick + the extra cash.

- Accomodation is higher not sure how much but you can google that. When I was there Al-Hamra, Arizona, Eid were the top compounds.. I think Arizona is now in the 300K SAR range.
- Dubai weekends are expensive mainly because your drink loads -- a beer in Dubai is probably 40AED (I now live in Abu Dhabi), hotels will be 500-700 AED a night; flights are 1000-1500AED.. AED and SAR is the same.
- Having free flights home is a nice perk but not sure how common now.

You wont spend much in Riyadh as parties are at people's houses/compounds, if you go to a restaurant it will be in a compound which are cheap, and your bring your own home-brew

Nathan14 Nov 1st 2017 6:42 am

Now that's a bit of maths for me. Can add 20% on top but I think it will be a bit more as I have a very generous pension which will be missing there. I researched a bit and you are right, housing can be between 250-300K. Just been to Dubai and realised Beer is expensive there. But been reading lots of negative comments about life for kids there. Apparently there are no good schools, even the Brit School isn't as good as some state schools in UK.

Andy1988 Nov 1st 2017 7:18 am

Al Hamra starts at SAR 175k for 1 bed apartment. 2 bed is SAR 215k and 3/4 bed exec apartment is SAR 300k. 2 bed villa SAR 275k, 3 bed SAR 340k and then higher for VIP.

Millhouse Nov 1st 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Nathan14 (Post 12372362)
even the Brit School isn't as good as some state schools in UK.

not really - they really are very comparable.

Nathan14 Nov 1st 2017 10:31 am

Thank you everyone. So basically I need to ask for:

1. At least £120K
2. Kids Education allowance
3. As much rent allowances as I can
4. Flights if possible

Anything I have missed? Medical Insurance?

big b Nov 1st 2017 10:58 am

What line of work are you in Nathan?

Millhouse Nov 1st 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Nathan14 (Post 12372469)
Thank you everyone. So basically I need to ask for:

1. At least £120K
2. Kids Education allowance
3. As much rent allowances as I can
4. Flights if possible

Anything I have missed? Medical Insurance?

a lobotomy for thinking about living in KSA?

nonthaburi Nov 1st 2017 6:50 pm

On that deal you'll be fine. Compound prices have actually been dropping recently due to exodus of expats, so good deals are to be had at compounds.

Like someone else said, going out in Riyadh is actually very cheap, because the best life (alcohol surrounded) is on compounds so costs are minimal. Think more homebrew and BBQ rather than fine dining.

Depends what you're into really. I lived in Riyadh for three years. I would move there tomorrow if I could. Everyone says that Jeddah is the place to be, but at the end of the day for expats, it really doesn't make much difference. Riyadh has great nightlife, and a good social life to be found. Good weather too, with very cold winters, and zero humidity.

nonthaburi Nov 1st 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12372494)
a lobotomy for thinking about living in KSA?

Some people would say the same about Dubai. Each to their own.....:eek:

Millhouse Nov 2nd 2017 2:39 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12372844)
Some people would say the same about Dubai. Each to their own.....:eek:

Indeed. I had mine done years ago at the same time as the Lasik

Nathan14 Nov 2nd 2017 7:31 am

Why an exodus? They are spending a lot on infrastructural projects and have a booming banking industry. Anything I have missed then?

nonthaburi Nov 2nd 2017 8:59 am

Maybe an exodus is a bit strong, BUT there are definitely a lot of western expats leaving, and the ones who remain may not be on the same deals as before.

Yes, there are a lot of infrastructure projects going on, but there has been a tendency to get Chinese and Koreans in on the cheap and so on.

The new dependent's fee won't impact expats on high salaries so much, but for your Egyptians, Lebanese, Sudanese on lower salaries with big families as muslims tend to do, there is definite effect that will only get more noticeable.

Expect rents to be falling across the board over the next year or two, on compound and off.

A lot of changes going on in KSA right now. It's going to be a very interesting couple of years seeing how it all pans out.