Just Joined

jimster99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh?

Originally Posted by MaserMan
Eid
Cordoba
Arabian Homes
Ranco
Thanks for these tips, they are like gold-dust. I hadn't heard of Ranco but will add it to the list.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Currently considering cars. My only concerns - (i) a very safe solid car and (ii) one that I can sell for minimum loss when I leave. Prestige is unimportant. Is it better to buy or to lease? Brand new or second hand? Can I get fully comp insurance or if someone rear ends me am I out of pocket?

And realistically do I need a driver or do people really drive themselves? (considering how unsafe the roads appear to be...)

Last edited by jimster99; May 21st 2012 at 11:40 am.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimster99
Currently considering cars. My only concerns - (i) a very safe solid car and (ii) one that I can sell for minimum loss when I leave. Prestige is unimportant. Is it better to buy or to lease? Brand new or second hand? Can I get fully comp insurance or if someone rear ends me am I out of pocket?

And realistically do I need a driver or do people really drive themselves? (considering how unsafe the roads appear to be...)
The majority of people drive here and the style that best describes how to survive is "cautious aggression" It is not that bad once you start and your driving becomes as bad as the rest of the Saudi's
Old May 21st 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Next issue...initial budget for accomodation seems to be 150k-170k SARs but I will need to find it (with assistance of a real estate agent).

I want a 2 bed apartment or villa on a solely western compound with bowling + tennis courts, plus a bit of a social life and welcoming of solo men (which I presume I will be classed as, even though I'm in a committed relationship back home).

I've read every webpage I can find and it seems I could (just) afford a 1 bed in Al Hamra (not big enough) or a 2 bed in Kingdom City (would be fine but limited availability). The Arizona compound seems out of my league.

I'm less keen on Cordoba, Grenada, Arabian Homes, and Seder Village just based on what I've read. California compound sounds good but not finished yet!

Living off compound on this budget would get me a massive place, but I don't think this sounds very sensible.

Any thoughts/advice?
My dear friend..far be it from me to burst your bubble...but you are "sorting compounds"???? Seriously???
I tell you what will happen...after having spent 2 months in your "provisional accom" in Riyadh, you will be praying for any compound to let you in . Which they probably won't...because there is NOTHING available, especially for private people, on the compounds....but anyway, just sayin'.
IF you read some threads about accom in Saudi here on BE, this will become vividly evident to you.
You need to have an employer who either has villas on compounds, or has enough wasta and the serious wish to get you one.
Old May 21st 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alexa
My dear friend..far be it from me to burst your bubble...but you are "sorting compounds"???? Seriously???
I tell you what will happen...after having spent 2 months in your "provisional accom" in Riyadh, you will be praying for any compound to let you in . Which they probably won't...because there is NOTHING available, especially for private people, on the compounds....but anyway, just sayin'.
IF you read some threads about accom in Saudi here on BE, this will become vividly evident to you.
You need to have an employer who either has villas on compounds, or has enough wasta and the serious wish to get you one.
Things are not as bad as it used to be, mainly because of greedy owners who are putting prices up. As an example my villa now costs almost 80k more than last year so people are moving out. There is also the bribe factor with certain compound managers
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Things are not as bad as it used to be, mainly because of greedy owners who are putting prices up. As an example my villa now costs almost 80k more than last year so people are moving out. There is also the bribe factor with certain compound managers
People are 'moving out'? Where to?

Alexa is right, and as I have posted many times before, you MUST sort out your accommodation before you arrive.
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
People are 'moving out'? Where to?

Alexa is right, and as I have posted many times before, you MUST sort out your accommodation before you arrive.
The two most common options are to move to a villa not in a compound with the benefit of getting a bigger house for a lot less money. Personally would not be a choice I would make in Riyadh. The other option is to move to a cheaper compound and there are a few new/renovated ones now on the market e.g. Izdihar & Riyadh Gardens (Old Phillips/Ericsson compound)
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:56 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

The majority of people drive here and the style that best describes how to survive is "cautious aggression" It is not that bad once you start and your driving becomes as bad as the rest of the Saudi's

You'd think an American truck would command respect but no, the hare-brained taxi drivers and youth in small Hyundais are like ****ing WW2 Mitsubishi Zero suicide pilots.

Changing direction without indicators is essential, because if you indicate that only inspires Saudis to speed up so as not to let you change lane. Roundabouts are Russian Roulette.
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner

You'd think an American truck would command respect but no, the hare-brained taxi drivers and youth in small Hyundais are like ****ing WW2 Mitsubishi Zero suicide pilots.

Changing direction without indicators is essential, because if you indicate that only inspires Saudis to speed up so as not to let you change lane. Roundabouts are Russian Roulette.
I always found in Jeddah that the correct way to drive was to assume every other driver is trying to kill you and take it from there.

Ramadan was the worst time - everyone [except for the expats] hasn't eaten or drunk anything for hours so their driving is insane.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner

There are no lanes in Saudi. Just strange ceramic discs set in the asphalt that no Saudi has ever dared to think what their function is.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saudiflares
There are no lanes in Saudi. Just strange ceramic discs set in the asphalt that no Saudi has ever dared to think what their function is.
drove the full length of Al Batha Road road up & down last night... (not for fun but had to visit Mobily shop at the far end)...not as bad as i thought but then I have been driving in the city for 2 years and have developed my Assertive & Defensive driving skills to the highest level....

if in doubt just blast yer horn !!
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba
drove the full length of Al Batha Road road up & down last night... (not for fun but had to visit Mobily shop at the far end)...not as bad as i thought but then I have been driving in the city for 2 years and have developed my Assertive & Defensive driving skills to the highest level....

if in doubt just blast yer horn !!
I've always thought that the Saudi national anthem should be a multitude of blaring car horns.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:25 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alexa
I tell you what will happen...after having spent 2 months in your "provisional accom" in Riyadh, you will be praying for any compound to let you in

Exactly.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:48 am
Just Joined

OK folks, thanks for humouring my random assortment of questions so far. Next one - my mum would like to stay with me in Riyadh on a semi-permanent visa. My dad wouldn't come. Any tips on how best to present this so that I can wangle a long term visa for her? Any prospect of her getting a working visa (teacher or nurse or similar)? I gather there may have been a recent change of policy by the Saudi government regarding this topic and such visas are now harder to get, but it might help if your parents are financially dependent on you.

Last edited by jimster99; Jun 24th 2012 at 2:59 am.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

OK folks, thanks for humouring my random assortment of questions so far. Next one - my mum would like to stay with me in Riyadh on a semi-permanent visa. My dad wouldn't come. Any tips on how best to present this so that I can wangle a long term visa for her? Any prospect of her getting a working visa (teacher or nurse or similar)? I gather there may have been a recent change of policy by the Saudi government regarding this topic and such visas are now harder to get, but it might help if your parents are financially dependent on you.
My friend, I am no position to tell you what to do or decisions to make, but I have spent the past 2 1/2 years in Riyadh - working, driving and living both on and off compound.

As always, my cooments are not meant to be harsh or critical of your thinking or plans - only honest.

IF you manage to find a way to bring your mother out to Riyadh, I would urge you to think very seriously about doing so. Imho, this no place to bring a lady with no company (ie your father) to spend up to 12 hours a day on her own (you will be working after all). She cannot drive, there is no public transport (maybe a compound bus), or go out on her own. She will be totally reliant on you and the compound social hospitality to maintain any level "normality" - which is almost impossible in Riyadh. Some compounds do have very active social circles and so on but you need to ensure this is a feature of your compound beforehand. My compond experience was mainly indian & pakistani families and single men with little internal social interaction going on - totally western occupied compounds are very limited and have waiting lists.

I understand the attraction of bringing her out to experience the region and spend time with you, but I would consider the idea seriously before putting her on that plane - IF you can sort a visa of course.

Good luck with the move and job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.