renewal of DL

Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default renewal of DL

As anyone here had to renew their UAE driving license? And if so what's the procedure. Ta.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renewal of DL

Hi, I am not an expat, but a quick search brought up this webpage for renewing UAE licenses, procedure seems simple enough with various outlets able to renew your license, all that is needed is passport with residence permit, eye test results expired license and 2 photos.

http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGu...orm.aspx?ID=43

P.S. the webpage was last modified in 2011 so may or may not be accurate.

Last edited by Tahir84; Mar 14th 2017 at 11:13 am.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84
Hi, I am not an expat, but a quick search brought up this webpage for renewing UAE licenses, procedure seems simple enough with various outlets able to renew your license, all that is needed is passport with residence permit, eye test results expired license and 2 photos.

http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGu...orm.aspx?ID=43

P.S. the webpage was last modified in 2011 so may or may not be accurate.
Thanks TAHIR, much appreciated.
I'm not due to renew for several months, but was bored and figured i'd post this, so i could be prepared
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 'trying' to do this at the moment....

The process is meant to be relatively easy (in theory). Find a RTA approved opticians, go in and have a eye test and get the certificate. Some are linked into the system and for a fee will send it off and you should then receive your new DL via a courier. Not sure how that works with updating your pic.

The more sensible option I see is go to the MOI website, register, upload your eye test cert plus a new pic and then they will send you your new DL.

My issue is that the MOI website says my EID has expired (even though it hasn't). After visiting the EID Authority they told me my EID was linked to my previous visa, not my current one. They did something on their system and told me to visit immigration. Immigration also did something on their system and said it would be updated within 24hrs..... It wasn't. I contacted them and they said I should go back down to the EID Authority..... I did and they didn't listen and started a new application..... then realised and said it should be updated in 24hrs. It wasn't. Got bored and passed it over to my PRO.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 7:02 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
As anyone here had to renew their UAE driving license? And if so what's the procedure. Ta.
Congratulations on being ten and a half years older than when you first pitched up here!!

I did it recently - blindingly easy (to choose an unfortunate metaphor). RTA website gives you a long list of "approved partner" opticians. Go to one of them with your Emirates ID. The posher opticians may tell you that their machine is broken - I got directed to another slightly more down at heel store (not the same company) around the corner on the ground floor of MoE, near where the entrance to the cinema used to be - you'll know where I mean having been here a while!

Yo hand over your ID. They do an eye test and then you wait for them to complete all the documentation online - takes about 15 minutes assuming no queue. You also have to provide them with a delivery address. You then pay for the test, renewal fee and courier charge all in one. About 300Dhs as I recall. I think if you have any outstanding fines you may have to pay them as well but for safety's sake I would do that online on the RTA site ahead of time. Don't forget to make sure you get your ID card back as they tend to be a bit careless with these things here.

My new licence was delivered by FedEx the Sunday following the Wednesday afternoon that I did the test. I received several text and email updates of its progress even during the short window I was waiting. I renewed about two weeks before the old one expired so I had the new one well before the old one expired (useful if you are going to be away). Interesting also that the photo had been automatically updated to be the same as the one on my ID card - they do not take any new photo and you don't have to bring one. Useful but kind of a pity as my photo on the old licence was pure comedy gold...
Old Mar 15th 2017, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks JAM & MISS ANN
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack

My issue is that the MOI website says my EID has expired (even though it hasn't). After visiting the EID Authority they told me my EID was linked to my previous visa, not my current one. They did something on their system and told me to visit immigration. Immigration also did something on their system and said it would be updated within 24hrs..... It wasn't. I contacted them and they said I should go back down to the EID Authority..... I did and they didn't listen and started a new application..... then realised and said it should be updated in 24hrs. It wasn't. Got bored and passed it over to my PRO.

**** me you're patient.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

**** me you're patient.
I know, I was particularly patient on this occasion which is unlike me.... Still not sorted... PRO said immigration computer systems were down today when he went..... Ahhhh
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I know, I was particularly patient on this occasion which is unlike me.... Still not sorted... PRO said immigration computer systems were down today when he went..... Ahhhh
What's bad is you just end up thinking your PRO is just as much of a useless liar as these systems etc.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Just go in to the RTA to resolve the ID card issue. Just hand them your new one. The RTA desk in the Manara centre opens at 8am.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Just go in to the RTA to resolve the ID card issue. Just hand them your new one. The RTA desk in the Manara centre opens at 8am.
It has nothing to do with the RTA tho..... Its a MOI / Immigration systems issue.

I don't have a new anything. If anything this is a bit of a waste of time as my visa expires in 4 months....