Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:13 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 5
kimjhuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renew the UK driving licence

I found that my driving licence will be expired soon. I can renew online, and just wonder if they ask any proof of address I live... Has anybody done the renew?
kimjhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:51 am   #2
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: where I currently am
Posts: 341
sicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to allsicklyman is a name known to all
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

AFAIK, you can't renew it legally if it expires while you are living outside the UK. DVLA will only renew licenses based on a UK residential address, which you don't have.

That was the case a year or so ago so it may have changed.

Of course, you could still use that address... but...
sicklyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:01 am   #3
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,717
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your licence. It's no problem tho' as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living there is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers licence is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have a shunt , believe me! (Not personal experience but an expat here who had done what you suggest, used his Mums address, went back on holiday, rented a car, had minor shunt and insurance company found he lived here so cancelled insurance and it cost him £800 for the repair!) Mind you , the silly beggar used a foreign credit card to pay.....................
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:02 am   #4
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,634
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklyman View Post
AFAIK, you can't renew it legally if it expires while you are living outside the UK. DVLA will only renew licenses based on a UK residential address, which you don't have.

That was the case a year or so ago so it may have changed.

Of course, you could still use that address... but...
No, it's not changed and the replacement license will be sent to the address, in the UK, that you put on the form. Even if it has expired, they will still have to information, and it can be resurrected once you return to the UK.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:25 am   #5
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,432
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your licence. It's no problem tho' as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living there is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers licence is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have a shunt , believe me! (Not personal experience but an expat here who had done what you suggest, used his Mums address, went back on holiday, rented a car, had minor shunt and insurance company found he lived here so cancelled insurance and it cost him £800 for the repair!) Mind you , the silly beggar used a foreign credit card to pay.....................
he should have used his UAE DL for the rental.
I have both the UK and the UAE and i always use my UAE one when i'm renting in the UK
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:53 am   #6
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 5
kimjhuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission View Post
he should have used his UAE DL for the rental.
I have both the UK and the UAE and i always use my UAE one when i'm renting in the UK
I also have both UK and UAE... Have you ever renew rhe UK one while you're in the UAE?
kimjhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:24 am   #7
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,432
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjhuk View Post
I also have both UK and UAE... Have you ever renew rhe UK one while you're in the UAE?
yeah i got my renewal done when i first moved here...but i've just realised it expired in 2012 I used my parents home address as my 'residential' address. I'm going to look into whether i can renew again.
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:28 am   #8
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,432
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

@KIMJHUK
check this link out
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:39 am   #9
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 5
kimjhuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission View Post
yeah i got my renewal done when i first moved here...but i've just realised it expired in 2012 I used my parents home address as my 'residential' address. I'm going to look into whether i can renew again.
Did you do online? Do I need to provide the proof that I live in the residential address if I do online??
kimjhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 11:41 am   #10
BE Enthusiast
 
Dubaiexile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Dubai
Posts: 778
Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjhuk View Post
Did you do online? Do I need to provide the proof that I live in the residential address if I do online??
Yes as they usually collect a stool sample from the lav to check on the DNA sample you gave them for the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Dubaiexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th 2017, 2:26 pm   #11
old age pensioner
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Seaton
Posts: 20,634
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjhuk View Post
Did you do online? Do I need to provide the proof that I live in the residential address if I do online??
No, they will just send the license to the UK address you give.
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:02 am   #12
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 101
FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

The law is that you cannot renew your UK driving license while non-UK-resident and it is unclear whether you can continue to drive using your current UK license until it expires once you have left the UK (in my view this is probably OK, but others take a different view).

If you do renew your UK license, it is necessary to sign a declaration that you are currently UK resident and to provide details of your actual current residential address (which DVLA will double check by running a credit check).

Following renewal of a UK driving license, the DVLA may notify HMRC that you are declaring UK residence for the current tax year. Therefore if you have declared UK non-residency to HMRC and are not currently paying UK tax, it is highly risky to renew your driving license because in the worst case scenario you may be deemed to have declared your liability for UK tax and/or face potential penalties for falsely declaring residential status.

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Today at 11:05 am.
FriendlyExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:40 am   #13
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,432
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat View Post
The law is that you cannot renew your UK driving license while non-UK-resident and it is unclear whether you can continue to drive using your current UK license until it expires once you have left the UK (in my view this is probably OK, but others take a different view).

If you do renew your UK license, it is necessary to sign a declaration that you are currently UK resident and to provide details of your actual current residential address (which DVLA will double check by running a credit check).

Following renewal of a UK driving license, the DVLA may notify HMRC that you are declaring UK residence for the current tax year. Therefore if you have declared UK non-residency to HMRC and are not currently paying UK tax, it is highly risky to renew your driving license because in the worst case scenario you may be deemed to have declared your liability for UK tax and/or face potential penalties for falsely declaring residential status.
i'm not so sure it's as strident as that.
I renewed my DL back in 2012 while i was still here and gave my parent's address as my residence and i received my renewal till 2022 (above i said 2012 - but that was an error)
Whenever i hire a car when i am in the UK i always use my UAE DL
Maybe the rules have now changed? as for me personally i'm ok until 2022
__________________
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished
mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:44 pm   #14
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,658
jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

I'm sure you can and you would get it but whats the point as (as others have said) it's technically invalid as you are not a resident there.

Also, its much better using a UAE licence when in the UK as they don't have to do the electoral role / DVLA check (like they do when you rent on a UK licence) and you generally get away with any speeding fines.
jam25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Middle East


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com