Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

renew the UK driving licence

renew the UK driving licence

Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:13 am
Just Joined

kimjhuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renew the UK driving licence

I found that my driving licence will be expired soon. I can renew online, and just wonder if they ask any proof of address I live... Has anybody done the renew?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renew the UK driving licence

AFAIK, you can't renew it legally if it expires while you are living outside the UK. DVLA will only renew licenses based on a UK residential address, which you don't have.

That was the case a year or so ago so it may have changed.

Of course, you could still use that address... but...
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your licence. It's no problem tho' as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living there is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers licence is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have a shunt , believe me! (Not personal experience but an expat here who had done what you suggest, used his Mums address, went back on holiday, rented a car, had minor shunt and insurance company found he lived here so cancelled insurance and it cost him £800 for the repair!) Mind you , the silly beggar used a foreign credit card to pay.....................
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
AFAIK, you can't renew it legally if it expires while you are living outside the UK. DVLA will only renew licenses based on a UK residential address, which you don't have.

That was the case a year or so ago so it may have changed.

Of course, you could still use that address... but...
No, it's not changed and the replacement license will be sent to the address, in the UK, that you put on the form. Even if it has expired, they will still have to information, and it can be resurrected once you return to the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your licence. It's no problem tho' as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living there is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers licence is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have a shunt , believe me! (Not personal experience but an expat here who had done what you suggest, used his Mums address, went back on holiday, rented a car, had minor shunt and insurance company found he lived here so cancelled insurance and it cost him £800 for the repair!) Mind you , the silly beggar used a foreign credit card to pay.....................
he should have used his UAE DL for the rental.
I have both the UK and the UAE and i always use my UAE one when i'm renting in the UK
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission
he should have used his UAE DL for the rental.
I have both the UK and the UAE and i always use my UAE one when i'm renting in the UK
I also have both UK and UAE... Have you ever renew rhe UK one while you're in the UAE?
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimjhuk
I also have both UK and UAE... Have you ever renew rhe UK one while you're in the UAE?
yeah i got my renewal done when i first moved here...but i've just realised it expired in 2012 I used my parents home address as my 'residential' address. I'm going to look into whether i can renew again.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

@KIMJHUK
check this link out
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission
yeah i got my renewal done when i first moved here...but i've just realised it expired in 2012 I used my parents home address as my 'residential' address. I'm going to look into whether i can renew again.
Did you do online? Do I need to provide the proof that I live in the residential address if I do online??
Old Sep 24th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Did you do online? Do I need to provide the proof that I live in the residential address if I do online??
Yes as they usually collect a stool sample from the lav to check on the DNA sample you gave them for the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Sep 24th 2017, 2:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No, they will just send the license to the UK address you give.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

The law is that you cannot renew your UK driving license while non-UK-resident and it is unclear whether you can continue to drive using your current UK license until it expires once you have left the UK (in my view this is probably OK, but others take a different view).

If you do renew your UK license, it is necessary to sign a declaration that you are currently UK resident and to provide details of your actual current residential address (which DVLA will double check by running a credit check).

Following renewal of a UK driving license, the DVLA may notify HMRC that you are declaring UK residence for the current tax year. Therefore if you have declared UK non-residency to HMRC and are not currently paying UK tax, it is highly risky to renew your driving license because in the worst case scenario you may be deemed to have declared your liability for UK tax and/or face potential penalties for falsely declaring residential status.

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Oct 16th 2017 at 11:05 am.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
The law is that you cannot renew your UK driving license while non-UK-resident and it is unclear whether you can continue to drive using your current UK license until it expires once you have left the UK (in my view this is probably OK, but others take a different view).

If you do renew your UK license, it is necessary to sign a declaration that you are currently UK resident and to provide details of your actual current residential address (which DVLA will double check by running a credit check).

Following renewal of a UK driving license, the DVLA may notify HMRC that you are declaring UK residence for the current tax year. Therefore if you have declared UK non-residency to HMRC and are not currently paying UK tax, it is highly risky to renew your driving license because in the worst case scenario you may be deemed to have declared your liability for UK tax and/or face potential penalties for falsely declaring residential status.
i'm not so sure it's as strident as that.
I renewed my DL back in 2012 while i was still here and gave my parent's address as my residence and i received my renewal till 2022 (above i said 2012 - but that was an error)
Whenever i hire a car when i am in the UK i always use my UAE DL
Maybe the rules have now changed? as for me personally i'm ok until 2022
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you can and you would get it but whats the point as (as others have said) it's technically invalid as you are not a resident there.

Also, its much better using a UAE licence when in the UK as they don't have to do the electoral role / DVLA check (like they do when you rent on a UK licence) and you generally get away with any speeding fines.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a paper license. Never got the photocard and have no intention of doing so. So my license is valid until I'm 70 which is a fair way away. Never had any hassles renting in the UK with it and been non-resident almost every year since 1998. It also has a c/o UK address on it (always has done). Have also been covered by car rental insurance on the one occasion that someone ran into me while I was renting.

Never been done for speeding in the UK as I generally know what the speed limit is. I have though had speeding tickets in four or five countries... very belatedly... which always come with an "admin fee" to make the sting harsher. I believe the rental companies have a legal obligation to pass the fine on to you and bill your credit card. If they do in, say Portugal, it's highly likely they do in the UK too. The only way to therefore ensure you don't pay a fine if you get one is to cancel your credit card after you finish the rental. Bit drastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.