Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Realistic monthly expenditure

Realistic monthly expenditure

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Realistic monthly expenditure

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

You have a choice to be sat in your room all depressed or to go out and be social, and this is true regardless of where you live. Lots of things don't cost much money. Beaches are free. Sporting groups are inexpensive. Going out for a cheap as chips Indian meal is cheap. If you go out to drink are you bothered to only have one beer or just hang around while your mates drink?
This.

Put it this way, there are people in Dubai earning a lot less and still getting by. I've been to a few of the restaurants/shops that cater more to Asians and it's crazy how cheap some of the stuff you can buy...

Highly recommend the Entertainer app for all things social, saved a fortune on drinks and food (about 1kUSD since May), gives you BOGOF on everything.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:36 am
Just Joined

jdudley14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scamp. It's something to consider although we're not married and have heard a few stories. I think it'll be something to consider once we've worked everything out? Unless there's genuinely nothing to worry about?

DXB, thanks for all the info! Sounds as though Mirdiff may be something to look into then. The other half will be living in Al Barsha area, so was looking there but seems to be a bit more expensive of course. The location of Mirdif will be a good one to keep the boss happy as well I think.

Of course it's one of those where you can spend more on going out or less, varies massively. I think I'm just after trying to find that happy medium!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

There's a fair amount to be worried about but i know lots of female teachers who came here with boyfriends and they lived together in the apartment provided for her.

We never did it, I got my own place but I came out on just slightly more than you so I could afford it and live. I think you'll be tight but you can do it, just be smart to start with. Maybe house share for a bit, let her dust settle and then move in, save a fortune.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Not this argument again......
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi i lived in Mirdiff and it really is a nice area to live in...more of a community feel to it, you have a small shopping mall on your doorstep with a Spinney`s for grocery shopping and there is a nice park as well with a jogging track. Metro starts just up the road in Rashidiya so if you want to go into the city that is catered for and the good thing about getting on there is you are going to get a seat!!
You also have festival city up the road which has a nice outdoor area with restaurants etc and you can get a beer there as well.
I am sure once you get used to it Mirdiff will actually grow on you, especially if the pennies are tight early on!!
Also the drive to Sharjah is a piece of piss as everyone is coming to Dubai in the morning whilst you are travelling the other way on an empty road and vice versa the evening.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Hi i lived in Mirdiff and it really is a nice area to live in...more of a community feel to it, you have a small shopping mall on your doorstep with a Spinney`s for grocery shopping and there is a nice park as well with a jogging track. Metro starts just up the road in Rashidiya so if you want to go into the city that is catered for and the good thing about getting on there is you are going to get a seat!!
You also have festival city up the road which has a nice outdoor area with restaurants etc and you can get a beer there as well.
I am sure once you get used to it Mirdiff will actually grow on you, especially if the pennies are tight early on!!
Also the drive to Sharjah is a piece of piss as everyone is coming to Dubai in the morning whilst you are travelling the other way on an empty road and vice versa the evening.
Plus Mirdif (one 'f') City Centre a huge great mall.

Long time DPRoM (Democratic People Republic of Mirdif) resident.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

WHOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH

Just to make you feel at home with all the planes.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
WHOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHH

Just to make you feel at home with all the planes.
Ha ha, what planes? TBH I don't even notice them now. It's like living next to the mosque, you automatically tune them out after a while. Saying that my current place isn't to bad and you certainly can't hear them inside. I did used to live on the western edge of Mirdif years ago, basically the first group of villas off the E311 and that was a tad loud. When they still allowed cargo into DXB there used to be some big old Russian thing that landed once a week at about 4 am. It sounded like it was landing in my bedroom.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Ha ha, what planes? TBH I don't even notice them now. It's like living next to the mosque, you automatically tune them out after a while. Saying that my current place isn't to bad and you certainly can't hear them inside. I did used to live on the western edge of Mirdif years ago, basically the first group of villas off the E311 and that was a tad loud. When they still allowed cargo into DXB there used to be some big old Russian thing that landed once a week at about 4 am. It sounded like it was landing in my bedroom.
Most people say that. It's either a DPRoM community lie to keep rents down or genuine.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Most people say that. It's either a DPRoM community lie to keep rents down or genuine.
We're not allowed to lie. Its a DPRoM law we all swore we would uphold at risk of death. The ceremony was performed straight after completing the initiation testing phase.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:30 am
Account Closed

We're not allowed to lie. Its a DPRoM law we all swore we would uphold at risk of death. The ceremony was performed straight after completing the initiation testing phase.
What was in the initiation testing phase?

I want to move to Mirdif to be closer to the mall but surely the traffic in the evenings is dreadful?4
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

What was in the initiation testing phase?
I could tell you...... but then......

I want to move to Mirdif to be closer to the mall but surely the traffic in the evenings is dreadful?4
Meh, it's pretty phasey. Right now it's easy. In the mornings (08:00 - 08:30 departure) it takes me 20 mins to get from my door and all parked up in my multi storey at the top of SZR. In the evening (generally 19:00ish) its maybe 5 mins longer. I'd say that creeps up by 10, maybe 15 mins max when the traffic is bad.

That said when its bad it's pretty ****ing shit and can end up being an hour...... but that is generally pretty rare. Picking the right route is crucial though.

All that said, I generally avoid the mall as the traffic to get in and out of there can be atrocious. All Mirdifites do know the secret way in though...... but you'd need to learn the funny handshake.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, it's pretty phasey. Right now it's easy. In the mornings (08:00 - 08:30 departure) it takes me 20 mins to get from my door and all parked up in my multi storey at the top of SZR. In the evening (generally 19:00ish) its maybe 5 mins longer. I'd say that creeps up by 10, maybe 15 mins max when the traffic is bad.

That said when its bad it's pretty ****ing shit and can end up being an hour...... but that is generally pretty rare. Picking the right route is crucial though.

All that said, I generally avoid the mall as the traffic to get in and out of there can be atrocious. All Mirdifites do know the secret way in though...... but you'd need to learn the funny handshake.
I never learnt that way in. It would take between 1 and 2 hours at night.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:50 am
Account Closed

I had to hot foot it up to Al Mizhar one afternoon / early evening and it was rammed up airport road and to the 311 etc etc. Ended up slipping through residential areas, following google maps. Zigzagging all the way - was lovely. It was like being in a normal place again.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I never learnt that way in. It would take between 1 and 2 hours at night.
Were you going via Jebel Ali? It only took me 1.5hrs to get home from Khor Fakkan and in my house yesterday.

I had to hot foot it up to Al Mizhar one afternoon / early evening and it was rammed up airport road and to the 311 etc etc. Ended up slipping through residential areas, following google maps. Zigzagging all the way - was lovely. It was like being in a normal place again.
Always avoid Airport Rd..... like always! I do business bay bridge and then over Int 2 (?) and round the back of SZR (past Satwa park) in the morning and then along the back rd (behind the H Hotel), over the flyover and over Garhoud Bridge past Fest City on the way back. Snarls up with the Sharjah weirdos in places but you can't have it all.