Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Realistic monthly expenditure

Realistic monthly expenditure

Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic monthly expenditure

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Like what....
Living in DoHell....
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes. Point taken

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Living in DoHell....
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Right.

Do a flat share. You can't afford 5k rent and bills on top (call them 500 DEWA + 500 Du, let's just say free chiller / AC)....that's 6,000.
I have spending money of 1400-1800 a week for everything but not including food shops, which are ave.500 per week for two. Just call it 2,000 for safety.
Total is now 14,000 just in costs.
Car and fuel will help you, for sure but you're still in a negative.

Do it differently:
4000 flatshare, no bills.
8,000 spending = 12,000.

I don't see this working unless you have phenomenal self discipline.

I moved over for a commission role but the basic was high enough to cover all my expenses and save for the months where you earn bugger all. Don't rely on the draw or promise of commish because it's only going to be used to pay the credit card you've been living off.

All of this to one side, I know a young Brit who came out on 11k and made it work. But **** me he was a sensible soldier and really stuck to a tight budget. If you've got the discipline, you can do it but be prepared to be in a city of big time knobheads, splashing cash and dropping thousands on after work beers in a shit club, expecting you to keep up.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Like what....
Well, in short happiness.

1. Living in Doha
2. Not living as freely as you'd really like to. Always being careful and watching your back.
3. Not really having fun - it seems that you have a bit of a down attitude, it's ok to loosen up sometimes (something I have recently learnt)
4. Kids. I know you want some really and that's probably best done in the West given the circumstances.
5. Meat. Why keep living on beans and pulses.

That sort of stuff.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Doha is temporary. We all know that. I've given myself an internal deadline for exiting Qatar for good if the company doesn't live up to its promises.

I don't know what you mean by living freely? It's a huge relief to know I've got gobs of savings and investment and cash that no matter what happens I'll be all right. That's living freely to me. I'm made redundant tomorrow? No worries, mate.

What's fun? Getting plastered on the weekend and vomiting the early mornings and staggering into work still hung over two days later? I travel a lot. That's fun to me. In fact right now I'm borderline on booking a last minute weekend trip for next weekend. Will pull the trigger tonight.

Yeah. Would like a kid someday.

Meat's ok. But not that special.

I don't know if I should say this or not but I do have a date this weekend....

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well, in short happiness.

1. Living in Doha
2. Not living as freely as you'd really like to. Always being careful and watching your back.
3. Not really having fun - it seems that you have a bit of a down attitude, it's ok to loosen up sometimes (something I have recently learnt)
4. Kids. I know you want some really and that's probably best done in the West given the circumstances.
5. Meat. Why keep living on beans and pulses.

That sort of stuff.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's fun? Getting plastered on the weekend and vomiting the early mornings and staggering into work still hung over two days later?

I don't know if I should say this or not but I do have a date this weekend....
Of course it is. Anyone who says it isn't fun from time to time is lying.

Good luck for the date, don't offer to split the bill, see what happens.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Of course it is. Anyone who says it isn't fun from time to time is lying.

Good luck for the date, don't offer to split the bill, see what happens.
Haven't thrown up since 1982, in a coach on the way back from a works brewery tour of Greene King in Bury St Edmunds, partly over David Bailey.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Haven't thrown up since 1982, in a coach on the way back from a works brewery tour of Greene King in Bury St Edmunds, partly over David Bailey.
Not even food poisioning?
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:43 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not even food poisioning?
Nope, but the other end has been very active on occasion.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Not thrown up at all in more than my lifetime? That's mental.

I threw up in Sri Lanka. No real sleep on flight over, bacon sarnie for brekkie, nap on a sun lounger, 15-odd beers in the pool in the sunshine.

The exhaustion, dehydration, heat, hunger, alcohol combo meant I made friends with the big white phone for about 30 seconds. Then felt fine.

No, it's not big and it's not clever but who cares? We had an awesome afternoon in the pool meeting a few nice people and having a beer.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:05 am
Just Joined

jdudley14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, massive thanks for the replies. It seems like on paper that I'm facing an uphill battle already money wise. The other half is a teacher and, as some have said, her housing is already paid for.

I will look into doing a flatshare for the first little bit. Not an ideal situation but I don't want to be out of money every single month just scraping by trying to live. Absolutely pointless going out there.

The new employer is going to be putting me into a hotel when i arrive until somewhere to live is found and sorted. (Although I'd say I only have a week or so to get this done).

I'll be working close to Sharjah Airport, and as the boss is paying for car and fuel costs, he's keen to have me close to Al Waarqa, Mirdif, Jaddaf, DSO area. Having spoken to friends who have lived out there, these areas are rather "out in the sticks" and social opportunities are lacking. However from what I've seen rent wise, these are the cheaper options of course.

I have to say, these responses are making me doubt the move slightly :/

Thanks again for all your replies, great help!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Find a flat/villa share in Mirdiff and give it a go for a year. I reckon you should find something around 3500.

Mirdiff is your best location if you want to meet other westerners. Social life will likely be at Belgian Beer Cafe in Festival Village or Irish Village in Garhoud.

Originally Posted by jdudley14
Guys, massive thanks for the replies. It seems like on paper that I'm facing an uphill battle already money wise. The other half is a teacher and, as some have said, her housing is already paid for.

I will look into doing a flatshare for the first little bit. Not an ideal situation but I don't want to be out of money every single month just scraping by trying to live. Absolutely pointless going out there.

The new employer is going to be putting me into a hotel when i arrive until somewhere to live is found and sorted. (Although I'd say I only have a week or so to get this done).

I'll be working close to Sharjah Airport, and as the boss is paying for car and fuel costs, he's keen to have me close to Al Waarqa, Mirdif, Jaddaf, DSO area. Having spoken to friends who have lived out there, these areas are rather "out in the sticks" and social opportunities are lacking. However from what I've seen rent wise, these are the cheaper options of course.

I have to say, these responses are making me doubt the move slightly :/

Thanks again for all your replies, great help!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:52 am
Just Joined

jdudley14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a bit happening in Mirdif? I've kind of accepted that I may have to struggle/suffer for the initial phase of being out there. Until I work it all out. Part and parcel of a move I guess.

I think as long as I'm not sat in my room all depressed cause I can't afford to anything other than work, then I should be okay for the first little while. Out of those areas I listed, is Mirdif probably the most suitable?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Hang on....

Just live with the Mrs?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Mirdiff is residential but has a nice mall and is convenient to Festival City hotels with their bars and Irish Village. It's not a bad place, a bit local compared to other areas but it's fine and very well placed for traveling into Sharjah. A decent western presence due to affordable rents and proximity to Sharjah without being in Sharjah.

You have a choice to be sat in your room all depressed or to go out and be social, and this is true regardless of where you live. Lots of things don't cost much money. Beaches are free. Sporting groups are inexpensive. Going out for a cheap as chips Indian meal is cheap. If you go out to drink are you bothered to only have one beer or just hang around while your mates drink?

Originally Posted by jdudley14
Is there a bit happening in Mirdif? I've kind of accepted that I may have to struggle/suffer for the initial phase of being out there. Until I work it all out. Part and parcel of a move I guess.

I think as long as I'm not sat in my room all depressed cause I can't afford to anything other than work, then I should be okay for the first little while. Out of those areas I listed, is Mirdif probably the most suitable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.